Ukrane/Russian War

Politics/Debate Talk about Politics and the latest News in the world. Far out theories? Post them here!

Ukrane/Russian War

rallem
PHOENIX
Joined: 10 Oct 2006, 00:24

14 Mar 2014, 09:13 #1

How far should the United States and Europe go to prevent Russia from annexing the Crimea from the Ukraine? SHould we go to war, or let them have it?
Reply
Like

terry
PHOENIX
Joined: 30 Jun 2006, 23:53

14 Mar 2014, 14:56 #2

rallem @ Mar 14 2014, 10:13 AM wrote: How far should the United States and Europe go to prevent Russia from annexing the Crimea from the Ukraine? SHould we go to war, or let them have it?
theres absolutely no chance of war.

I really don't know where I stand on this matter, cos in a way I can see why Russia would feel like they have a claim on the area.
Reply
Like

rallem
PHOENIX
Joined: 10 Oct 2006, 00:24

14 Mar 2014, 17:14 #3

I hope there is no war, but if the governments of Europe and the North America aren't willing for that level of escalation, then in my opinion they should shut up and concentrate on other issues.
Reply
Like

terry
PHOENIX
Joined: 30 Jun 2006, 23:53

15 Mar 2014, 17:48 #4

its time Russia and the west got over the whole cold war thing and realised they face a common enemy these days.
Reply
Like

rallem
PHOENIX
Joined: 10 Oct 2006, 00:24

15 Mar 2014, 23:32 #5

I am not really sure it is America's, or Europe's business, if Russia attacks. Russia is saying that they are protecting the Russians who live there. I think we would expect no form of retaliation if we too used this reasoning. I could see where there might be areas of gray had the Ukraine been a member of the European Union, but since it is not...
Reply
Like

terry
PHOENIX
Joined: 30 Jun 2006, 23:53

16 Mar 2014, 02:03 #6

rallem @ Mar 16 2014, 12:32 AM wrote: I am not really sure it is America's, or Europe's business, if Russia attacks. Russia is saying that they are protecting the Russians who live there. I think we would expect no form of retaliation if we too used this reasoning. I could see where there might be areas of gray had the Ukraine been a member of the European Union, but since it is not...
exactly
Reply
Like

rallem
PHOENIX
Joined: 10 Oct 2006, 00:24

17 Mar 2014, 02:36 #7

terry @ Mar 15 2014, 09:03 PM wrote:
rallem @ Mar 16 2014, 12:32 AM wrote: I am not really sure it is America's, or Europe's business, if Russia attacks. Russia is saying that they are protecting the Russians who live there. I think we would expect no form of retaliation if we too used this reasoning. I could see where there might be areas of gray had the Ukraine been a member of the European Union, but since it is not...
exactly
On the other hand, I think we would be foolish to accept the vote of Crimea while it was held with Russian Troops in country. If Russia wants a vote of succession, then they should leave the nation and wait for a scheduled election.
Reply
Like

terry
PHOENIX
Joined: 30 Jun 2006, 23:53

17 Mar 2014, 17:12 #8

rallem @ Mar 17 2014, 03:36 AM wrote:
terry @ Mar 15 2014, 09:03 PM wrote:
rallem @ Mar 16 2014, 12:32 AM wrote: I am not really sure it is America's, or Europe's business, if Russia attacks. Russia is saying that they are protecting the Russians who live there. I think we would expect no form of retaliation if we too used this reasoning. I could see where there might be areas of gray had the Ukraine been a member of the European Union, but since it is not...
exactly
On the other hand, I think we would be foolish to accept the vote of Crimea while it was held with Russian Troops in country. If Russia wants a vote of succession, then they should leave the nation and wait for a scheduled election.
they probably think that once they leave it would be very hard for them to gain the stance they have now because the void would be filled with Ukraine troops and maybe even nato ones.
Reply
Like

rallem
PHOENIX
Joined: 10 Oct 2006, 00:24

18 Mar 2014, 23:16 #9

terry @ Mar 17 2014, 12:12 PM wrote:
rallem @ Mar 17 2014, 03:36 AM wrote:
terry @ Mar 15 2014, 09:03 PM wrote: exactly
On the other hand, I think we would be foolish to accept the vote of Crimea while it was held with Russian Troops in country. If Russia wants a vote of succession, then they should leave the nation and wait for a scheduled election.
they probably think that once they leave it would be very hard for them to gain the stance they have now because the void would be filled with Ukraine troops and maybe even nato ones.
I think the Ukraine should let Crimea go and join the European Union in spite of Russia. That would make Russia feel secure knowing European forces are in the Ukraine ready to attack.
Reply
Like