North Depot

North Depot

7T1

May 17th, 2012, 9:25 pm #1

Gidday gang

Heading into North Depot next weekend with my son and his bud and his dad.....I have never been in this access before

Hoping to grab one of the island sites in hopes of catching a breeze ......but if we aren't lucky enough to snag one....I was hoping to get an idea of others we might try and shoot for!

Looking for something hopefully at the farther end near North River, good for a couple of tents, and able to catch a breeze hopefully.

Thanks

May 18th, 2012, 2:00 am #2

Hey 71,

The large central island sites would be your best bet as you have already surmised - fairly open, easy access, spacious, good central location and sandy landings. The site above the main island site on the west shore was also nice and good for at least 2 tents (spent 1 nite there myself). The smaller island site at the south end of the lake appeared more forested/less open but I did not visit it, only paddled by. I do not know how large it is but most sites will support at least 2 tents. Depending on the wind direction and speed (or lack of it) will influence whether it's a breezy site or not (lol).

All the sites looked fairly good though, she's a nice lake. You can run the rapids (Class 1) between Allan/North Depot (depending on water level) easy enough and line them back up. Have fun on the trip, great spot with few visitors when i was there in bug season (last year).

Wendigo has a number of crown sites on her and look out for grouse on the drive in off the Brent Rd.

7T1

May 18th, 2012, 6:18 pm #3

Gidday gang

Heading into North Depot next weekend with my son and his bud and his dad.....I have never been in this access before

Hoping to grab one of the island sites in hopes of catching a breeze ......but if we aren't lucky enough to snag one....I was hoping to get an idea of others we might try and shoot for!

Looking for something hopefully at the farther end near North River, good for a couple of tents, and able to catch a breeze hopefully.

Thanks
Thanks SM

Can't wait! Haven't been in this area before...it's always exciting to check out new territory!

Looking forward to weekend away trout fishing my son...hopefully their biting....and I don't mean the bugs.....lol

May 18th, 2012, 7:19 pm #4

Gidday gang

Thanks
I was just looking at this area as well. I need to take my daughter on a trip this summer, we avoid anything except very short portages as she has some mobility issues.

I thought Alan/North Depot or North River Lake would be easy places to get to. Any stand out sites to recommend? We'll wet a line, search for critters and just hang out basically. A sandy beach or good swimming spot would be awesome as well.

TIA,
S.

www.smedleyco.com

May 18th, 2012, 8:53 pm #5

Gidday gang

Thanks
Took my son into North Depot 2 summers ago (he was 5) his first trip into the park. We stayed on the island at the far end of the lake. Nice and private and a short paddle down to the portage (water was to low for us to ride the river) at the South end. Unfortunately we got completly soaked going in right from the put in at Wendigo, never seen it rain that hard anytime I have been in the park, we had a ball though.

May 18th, 2012, 11:27 pm #6

Gidday gang

Thanks
lol 71 - it's likely both will (be biting...).

Hey Smedley - Allan/North Depot are easy to get to, if North Depot is as far as you want to go then you'll it's likely you will only need to do the Wendigo-Allan portage as you can run the other (or line down if water is shallow). The portage between Wendigo-Allan is short and dry, and it's a very gradual drop in elevation between the two lakes (no long hills to climb or descend). The put in on the Allan side is sandy and shallow, however the put-in on the Wendigo side of that portage, depending on water level, was 4' deep I believe directly below a large flat escarpment of shield rock at the landing. There was also a short (30'?) section of boulders close to the Wendigo landing to navigate, but after that just hard duff if memory serves All the landings at campsites were good from what I saw on both lakes, all relatively flat and well maintained and all the campsites I stayed on had shelves/tables built by previous visitors.

For Allan L sites the island one looked good, and all the central east shore sites had sandy easy nice landings, but not much if any beach when I was there (high water right up to vegetation).

North River is a nice lake with no portaging, just a tangle of alders to get through early-on navigating the River. These will most likely be flattened down/cut back from all the spring traffic by the time you go though. The island site where I stayed on North River L was nice, but no beach - she was ringed by boulders on one side and marshy on the other (north-west). She did have some nice shallow sandy areas though, but again I was there at high water and for the most part no exposed beaches. You will undoubtedly see lower water in your trip.

Both locations are nice and offer decent fishing for the same species (brookies and lakers). Water clarity is the same in both lakes, maybe a touch clearer in North River L and to be honest likely more sandy areas by campsites in the Allan/North Depot area (not to mention fun rapids/current to play in...).

May 19th, 2012, 4:19 pm #7

Gidday gang

Thanks
Thanks guys. I'm thinking that might be a better choice than Cedar which I was leaning towards, at least we can get interior a little bit. It all sounds doable, I'll run it past her and pick some dates!

I'm guessing once the fishing pressure is done it's a pretty quiet area?

S.

www.smedleyco.com

May 19th, 2012, 9:09 pm #8

Gidday gang

Thanks
We were on Depot Aug Long wknd. Lots of other campers, but given our island site, we were all alone, and managed a speckle which was a surprise.