October 16th, 2013, 4:47 am #11

Just picked up my first canoe today. It's an Ellery cedar stripper, needs a bit of work but my aim is to have her on the water in time for my annual solo at the end of May.

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers,
Zen
I am officially jealous. Looks like a great winter project.

You may want to post the pictures over at MYCCR with any questions you have on the heritage.

Cheers
Rob

October 16th, 2013, 5:02 am #12

Just picked up my first canoe today. It's an Ellery cedar stripper, needs a bit of work but my aim is to have her on the water in time for my annual solo at the end of May.

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers,
Zen
Easily can tell already. A bit of work and that cedar canoe will look AMAZING! I enjoy my lightweight Kevlar I bought but am easily jealous of your find and purchase. Congrats!!

===============================================

Yup. I'm on YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/camper905

October 16th, 2013, 2:36 pm #13

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers,
Zen
Perhaps..sometimes they are screwed in which means filling holes. But why does the boat look like it was constructed in two halves? There is a distinct line around the middle. Hopefully artifact!

October 16th, 2013, 3:21 pm #14

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers,
Zen
That line you see around the middle looks like a side effect of wetting out the cloth from the middle towards the stems. It sounds like this canoe quite possibly pre-dates Ted Moores first release of Canoecraft which would put it back in the days when folks were still figuring out what were decent resins to use. I would guess that the resin at the mid point there had partially soaked the cloth and dried enough that by the time the one end was finished being wetted out and the builder came back to the middle to do the other end, the cloth didn't completely wet out which left a cloudy band in the middle.

October 16th, 2013, 5:20 pm #15

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers,
Zen
Hey Zen ... she's a dandy !!

I too got my first canoe this summer ... I put the moment right up there with the birth of my kids ... minus all the screaming ...

October 16th, 2013, 8:49 pm #16

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers,
Zen
The cedar strips appear to be separate strips for each half and to be joined at the mid-point. There are different tones to some of the 'half-strips' and on the inside there appears to be a lateral 'joiner strip'. I wouldn't want to tension it too tight on the roof-rack!

Barry Bridgeford
http://www.AlgonquinAdventures.com
http://www.ABRweb.ca .. Algonquin Backcountry Recreationalists - Caring for Algonquin's Backcountry
http://www.abrweb.ca/docs/ABR-LNT-L50S.pdf .. Backcountry of Algonquin Park Leave No Trace Outdoor Skills and Ethics

October 16th, 2013, 9:10 pm #17

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers,
Zen
I think the different tones are probably due to different degrees of water penetration over the years. I've re-fibreglassed my cedar strip once and have some similar blotches, although maybe nothing quite as sharply delimited as in these pictures.

October 16th, 2013, 10:39 pm #18

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers,
Zen
Nice canoe. Should clean up real nice. You may want to check out bearmountainboats.com. It is Ted Moores company website. There is a builders forum I'm sure you find very helpful.

October 17th, 2013, 1:23 am #19

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers,
Zen
there was a company in Kansas that manufactured fiberglas canoes, then cut them in half to ship them (by nesting the ends), which apparently saved a ton on shipping costs. Your purchase also got you a can of resin and fiberglas cloth to re-assemble it. Being short of discretionary funds I didn't buy one. Just imagine what that one looked like when finished.

October 17th, 2013, 2:07 am #20

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Cheers,
Zen
makes perfect sense. I cannot imagine in real life one making a cedar strip canoe in two halves..even an accident would result in a different pattern.