Yumeko's evaluation

Yumeko's evaluation

May 24th, 2011, 1:12 am #1

Hey guys,

We had a very good professional trainer here in San Francisco come out and evaluate Yume today; you probably remember us posting a bunch of times regarding our work with her, and her prior behaviour issues. He owns a DogGoneGood dog training center and apparently has his own show on PBS. I was duly scared of what the guy was going to say about our achievements with her, and about my training in particular.

Well, to my huge surprise he actually said that we have done an amazing job and that she should go into agility classes because she is able to do pretty advanced stuff already-she has great focus and I taught her a bunch of things that apparently he considered advanced trained behaviours. She was nothing but a sweetie and very affectionate with him, and obedient with us despite me being scared sh*tless the whole time expecting him to say I suck at training the dog. We actually did not need private classes, so he signed us up for an intermediate class that starts in two weeks. He did some pretty crazy*ss stuff with her (distance stops and down) that i only seen on TV before...

He also mentioned in the beginning of our session that she will unlikely be a service dog for me, but after working with her and seeing me work with her, at the end said that there is no reason why she cannot be a service animal, and that she shows good signs, if we are of course willing to put the work in.

The only thing I can say YIIIIIPEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

And thank you for all the advice on this forum.

Maria and Mike (and Yume).

May 24th, 2011, 7:22 pm #2

I know you must feel really good about all of your efforts and the results with Yume. I am happy for you and hope Yume continues to develop in the way that you want her. Congratulations on your work with her.

May 24th, 2011, 9:49 pm #3

I have started doing some stuff with her that the trainer showed me, and she understands! He fixed my hand signals a bit, showed me what i can do if I mark already learned behaviours as a chain so she could do more advanced tasks, and was pretty confident just telling me to teach her "anything that comes to mind" because he saw that what she learned was well-taught. I kind of I guess had the tools (like a bunch of commands she knows well) but could not apply them to some more complex tasks. Also, he showed me how to "sound" better when working with her, I used to differentiate between the tone of different commands and he basically trained me that all commands should sound very sharp, "like you mean it"-and I thought I was doing it!-and praise only should sound softly; showed me how I can work her with sharp turns so we could avoid our "dog in view" focus problem. we worked on sharp turns, heeling finish, focus, stopping and lying down while moving, I tried all of this last night and today, and it seems that she does focus on me more when she has to predict where I go next minute, so we will try this around dogs. He is all for positive reinforcement, but is not shy of correcting the dog when she needs it. Actually, thanks to this approach we were able to keep her in the first place. He also said that even if we make mistakes and even if we have to correct her to come to us, regardless of it, we should let her off-leash in the park or at the beach and engage her, and we were happy to tell him that we started doing it and she runs off leash a few times a week now. (I always keep her close to me, let her run wild and then back to me, we practice recall, play with toys, do some obedience and just plain walk when we are tired.)

Nothing is a bad distraction for her except dogs. Dogs are a big deal because they get her very excited and she focuses on them, so once we go to class it will be a totally different story. She hasn't really been trained properly to work in presence of other dogs, and even when corrected she usually breaks the focus and wags tail at doggies. But its all normal challenges, I have to be interesting for her to get her to focus on me, as well. Yes, we are pretty proud. my husband didn't really handle her until the last couple of weeks when he sometimes walks her at night, but now he can pitch in, too, as she is visibly ready to be submissive and listen to people with the right energy.

So yes, we are proud, happy for her, and thank you!

May 27th, 2011, 4:55 am #4

Hey guys,

We had a very good professional trainer here in San Francisco come out and evaluate Yume today; you probably remember us posting a bunch of times regarding our work with her, and her prior behaviour issues. He owns a DogGoneGood dog training center and apparently has his own show on PBS. I was duly scared of what the guy was going to say about our achievements with her, and about my training in particular.

Well, to my huge surprise he actually said that we have done an amazing job and that she should go into agility classes because she is able to do pretty advanced stuff already-she has great focus and I taught her a bunch of things that apparently he considered advanced trained behaviours. She was nothing but a sweetie and very affectionate with him, and obedient with us despite me being scared sh*tless the whole time expecting him to say I suck at training the dog. We actually did not need private classes, so he signed us up for an intermediate class that starts in two weeks. He did some pretty crazy*ss stuff with her (distance stops and down) that i only seen on TV before...

He also mentioned in the beginning of our session that she will unlikely be a service dog for me, but after working with her and seeing me work with her, at the end said that there is no reason why she cannot be a service animal, and that she shows good signs, if we are of course willing to put the work in.

That's really great news, I'm so happy for You! That first class (with all the dogs) is going to be a wild ride. My dog used to get worked up around other dogs, I'd show up for class early and let her sniff and spaz so she could get it out of her system and be settled down by the time our class started.
I know it's been stressful for You and it's so nice to hear that there's positive progress. Good for You!

May 27th, 2011, 5:48 am #5

with a backpack like we always do, and then after we get there (its along bus ride) another walk so she is POOPED,and then like you say get her there a bit earlier to sniff about...she is very good in general but when many dogs are around she goes NUTZ, wants to say hi to all of them, there is really no way besides correcting her to get her attention once she is "in the zone" -no matter how submissive she might be, or how much she loves toys or treats, other animals is just a big thing for her. We got over birds and other small prey pretty well, I am very strict about it so she would obey a verbal command around pigeons or a squirrel for example, but dogs...yes, it is going to be interesting. And my husband cannot make it to classes, he works those days, so I am in for a treat. I do obedience around dogs, we pass them a lot, but it's one thing to walk by, quite another-to have them all in the same building trying not to obsess about one another. its gonna be lovely:-) But we will get by. That's why we are taking classes, right?
Thank you:-)

pauline jones
pauline jones

May 28th, 2011, 9:34 pm #6

Hey guys,

it sounds like all your hard work and determination has paid off :)well done :)Yume is a very special dog ;)

May 28th, 2011, 10:19 pm #7

..just for the last three days we had to re-teach one of her commands because I with my accent was teaching her to "roll over" not as rolling over, but as falling on her back, paws up...I have been marking it as "Bang!" for three days while making the same gesture, then slowly fazed out "Over!" and left the "Bang!" with an appropriate sign, and marking rolling over as, as it must be, "Roll Over!" and all this confusion did not really confuse her-now she is understand which is which and is getting better at it, especially when she knows that I will give her something cool for it. My lil' fuzzball. Trainer told me that he has no doubt I can teach her things and pretty much just told me "until we see you in class" to Youtube a bunch of tricks and start teaching her, it will bond us better and occupy her mind. And of course it's fun for me to watch her do it:-)We play a lot, controlled but I always keep her occupied, interacting with me. I shove some commands into play as well, it makes her think we are just playing but we are learning...

Pauline
Pauline

May 29th, 2011, 10:19 pm #8

I bring training commands into her play, she loves it! and she especially loves to get treats when we do "sits" "stays" "stay out of Sight" and all the other stuff, she loves to please, I can see the excited pleased look on her face:) it sonds like your little lady love to please as well :) My old Benny couldn`t give a fig whether he pleased me or not, he`d do his bit of training then just look at me as if to say "yeah, okay, it`s done now let me goto sleep" lol :)

May 29th, 2011, 11:26 pm #9

Hey guys,

That is great news Maria, Congrat's!!

June 1st, 2011, 1:25 am #10

Hey guys,

Congrats on your hard work with her paying off! And I'm relieved to hear that her focus on other dogs is because she wants to play with them, not because she wants to fight them! :) That's much, much easier to deal with! Good luck on the classes - remember to have fun! :)