Yume turned ONE last Monday

Yume turned ONE last Monday

April 3rd, 2011, 6:15 am #1

Lazy goggie...

very lazy goggie...

(wearing our fancy-shmancy Leerburg police leash and a new leather collar with abundance of tags hehe...)

April 3rd, 2011, 1:53 pm #2

Hope it was a great one!!

April 3rd, 2011, 6:36 pm #3

Lazy goggie...

very lazy goggie...

(wearing our fancy-shmancy Leerburg police leash and a new leather collar with abundance of tags hehe...)
I love the picture where Yume is looking directly at you with the ear going the other way! ahha

Candi
Candi

April 4th, 2011, 4:08 pm #4

Lazy goggie...

very lazy goggie...

This is the first time I've seen PIX of our Yume-Girl, and she's looking GREAT -- I know Yume has turned around 100% from being in the clutches of clueless owners before, and has now taken leaps & bounds along the path to Happiness & Good Behavior, all thanks to YOU and your husband ... CONGRATULATIONS !!!

April 4th, 2011, 7:15 pm #5

..but yes, she is better.
We have gone through whopping three and a half weeks of pretty much social isolation part; yes, she had setbacks, but not biting ones, just some puffing up and trying threatening poses with me that has stopped already, awhile ago.Even tried to scream AT ME (i can't believe she did, but she did!), basically made a strange yelling noise, not like a yelp, at me when she saw she got in trouble and revenge is coming, and learned that if she yells at me I usually get very confused and don't correct her. But it is all better now. It was TOUGH, and I had some moments with her when I thought , well, why did we get into this:-). But now, it has been well over a month since we have SERIOUSLY started with her(she has been with us for 3 months total), and we have some very good changes.

I am the only one that has been working with her. We did not train, just worked on pack structure. Everyone has been told to not even talk to her or make eye contact with her until we allow that in the distant future, including strangers and Mike's co-workers. Even Mike was not allowed to touch her -we still try to have her mostly in my care,as I am the weakest and simply have to get it right. She wears a bandana on walks (IN Training, Do Not Pet). She is not allowed to mingle with dogs, but she is always around people, dogs, etc. and doing so, so much better in public.

Now she is out of isolation, but we don't allow that much yet-some down-stays in the house, tethered to me, she even goes to the bathroom with me. We DID buy her a n e-collar, we have discussed it many times between ourselves, watched Leerburg DVD (I think i watched it 14 times aha) and decided that with our situation, when i am pretty weak and she tends to break pack structure still by once in a while dragging me towards dogs, have learned how to use it, disensitized her to it over two weeks, and now she is walking with it on-which so far has done nothing but wonders for us, with very low-level stimulation and nothing even comparing to prong corrections which to me (even thou I am not strong enough to hurt her) even looked violent. She has been a model dog for the last few days as we slowly introduced the e-collar, and I HAVE to say it is the most humane tool that I have seen so far. No fear in the dog, no yelping, she is very submissive and sweet, I am not stressed anymore every time we pass a dog too close. She actually already learned that she has to stay next to me, all I need is to tell her to "Leave It". last month we worked (had no e-collar yet) on ignoring birds, and she does not go bonkers when we pass pigeons anymore(It used to be very difficult). I have started withe very long weighted (backpack) walks in the afternoon, we sometimes go out of the house for hours in a row, and usually stop by the bar my husband works at, and he waters both of us (soda for me and water for her). She is on the down-stay there , too. Oh, forgot to say: we have got her assistance dog tag. My doctor wrote the letter, etc. She is allowed to go with me to many places now, so we ride a bus just for practice,(she has free access), go to convenience stores ( she carries some light groceries in her backpack on the way back), visited Walgreens a few times:-) I know she is far from being a service animal and I hope she even makes good pet one day which will be enough, but It is nice to have her around wherever I go, and she seems to like it and get better at visiting places each time we go out. we walk on busy streets every day (go down or up Geary all the way to Haight, to to the Ocean Beach ( we just took her on a half-a-day walk to the beach and back , we do not go to the beach just yet because of huge numbers of dogs running loose, but stroll around the Cliff house, down to the Beach Chalet and onto the N line and walk back home to Richmond district). Those who've ever been to San Francisco can tell, it is pretty long of a walk especially for me. We avoid the park right now, too many animals, I want her to be introduced to the city life and a dog here and there first and then-on to the harder distractions. She walks nicely next to me. I got her a travel bowl too:-) so we make pit stops and drink when it's hot. I also use her shamelessly to help me up off the floor (lean on her and say "Help" and pet her), she seems to take it a very friendly manner, i am thinking of making it a command and treating her for it.

Well, here's our report . We did not celebrate her birthday per se, didn't want to break her routine, hopefully if everything goes right next time she has a birthday we will have a party for her.

Candi
Candi

April 4th, 2011, 8:35 pm #6

YES, folks who have never once studied the Leerburg e-collar training DVD still often voice very out-dated criticism of what used to be called "shock collars" -- They have no idea that Remote Control Systems are actually THE MOST HUMANE training tool available, when employed properly, and NOT with the old-school "avoidance/escape" methods that come on a diskette with the e-collar ... All due Kudos to YOU & YUME, Maria, snd for getting her Assistance Dog tag !!!

April 5th, 2011, 9:48 pm #7

and you are working wonders with her, she`ll reward you a hundred fold when she overcomes all her problems, my Asia had many problems when we got her and now, 4 and a half years later she`s my constant companion and sort of well behaved vbg just like yumi one of her problems was diving at pigeons and generally wanting to throw herself at anything that flew, but I got her out of that behaviour by putting her on her lead, taking her into the garden and making her sit while pidgeons gathered around for the seed I'd put down, at first she went loopy! then after a few sessions she ignord the pidgeons :)I think she just got desensatised to them and she also knew I wasn`t going to let her get away with "monster" like behaviour:)

HAPPY BELATED FIRST BIRTHDAY SPECIAL GIRL!!!!!!!

Candi
Candi

April 5th, 2011, 10:17 pm #8

I can hardly realize that it has actually been 4.5 YEARS since we first met your Beautiful Asia-Girl !!!

April 6th, 2011, 4:52 pm #9

the time has gone by so fast and madam has changed from a confused frightened girl into a soppy loving friend

April 6th, 2011, 6:12 pm #10

and you are working wonders with her, she`ll reward you a hundred fold when she overcomes all her problems, my Asia had many problems when we got her and now, 4 and a half years later she`s my constant companion and sort of well behaved vbg just like yumi one of her problems was diving at pigeons and generally wanting to throw herself at anything that flew, but I got her out of that behaviour by putting her on her lead, taking her into the garden and making her sit while pidgeons gathered around for the seed I'd put down, at first she went loopy! then after a few sessions she ignord the pidgeons :)I think she just got desensatised to them and she also knew I wasn`t going to let her get away with "monster" like behaviour:)

HAPPY BELATED FIRST BIRTHDAY SPECIAL GIRL!!!!!!!
...and we are still working on pack structure every day. She used to bite when I would hold her by the collar-I still remember how she would growl louder and louder when i tried to lead her somewhere, away from temptation, and then bite, how she went berserk over her food, the first two months she would often rebel and refuse to lie down on purpose and then get aggressive if we insisted, we still don't allow her to even approach her nice dog bed that we bought for her in the beginning because when she first saw her bed she decided to "kill" it and when I interfered tried to seriously go after me, while ripping the 60-dollar dog bed apart...it was BAD. She used to pick moments when we were alone walking in the evening ad would just give me this shifty eye look and start thrashing on a leash like a bucking bronco and if I tried to stop it, or god forbid correct it, she would bite. She would climb up and STAND on a dining table looking down at me proudly to prove that she is the boss...It was very bad, and we have considered seriously turning her in to the shelter, we tried to keep her in like wit techniques similar to Cesar's (reasonable management) but all we did was roll the dog and battle her physically, while she ran around with no collar or leash in the house and got into trouble. It all continued besides our micro-managing until I started reading up, Candi told me to check out Leerburg site, we got a crate and a prong and got very serious with her.

She does still have some moments when she thinks she is very important, it does not go all the way to aggression anymore but if it happens, we correct her seriously and it gets better each day. I try motivation with her whenever possible, but pack issues are a no-no, we know what she can and did do so she knows, for example, that there is no mouthing in the house, no lunging at dogs or birds outside, no ANY aggression of any kind, no touching any of our food, these things she knows she better not do or else. Even her body language is now different. She tries to be sweet with us more and more, non-confrontational, wants pets (comes up and hides her nose in my lap and sighs, ears apart, cute. We decide when to pet her , though. Very often when she sees me approach turns on her back and asks for a belly rub, Again, we do it ONLY for certain behaviours. She greets us in a friendly, submissive manner, rolling on the floor and play-bowing, tries to groom me sometimes when I am grooming her (dig in my sweater with her beak:-), nuzzle and gently bite off imaginary fleas that I hope I don't have). She is so good at heeling may dog owners come up and tell me how well-behaved she is!

Unfortunately, with all this she is getting attached to us and while we rarely hear it, neighbors complain now that she is howling sometimes when we are gone. She never barks, but I heard her howl and it is SCARY-it is more like monster/bear noises than even a howl. We are never gone early or late, but even for a couple of hours during the day is not cool-we have another family upstairs, they love to complain to landlord, and we don't know yet how to solve this as we cannot control it when we are not there.

We tried to contact her "breeder". He is apparently some rave kid who works at a surfer apparel store (yes, I am NOT kidding) and has his profile on Facebook, and he looks nothing like someone who will even have a dog, except maybe the one he trained to bring him munchies )). Obviously, no response. Her old owner also tried to contact him, and he ignores her too. She also mysteriously "lost" his phone number,a s did all her friends. So there we go, I HOPE now she was bred by a BYB, and not stolen . Something is fishy here.

But thank you guys, you are so kind, yes, we are making progress, and even training a little outside sometimes now!