We are done trying.

We are done trying.

January 11th, 2012, 6:40 pm #1

Me and my husband want to thank you guys for your great help over the last year, we have always followed your advice, and advice of other smart folks. We are the people who adopted Yume. Unfortunately, and to my greatest pain, she cannot be with us any longer as she started exhibiting even more aggression towards us and to be honest she never really stopped it altogether. I have been walking on eggshells with her for the last few months. We live alone now, no roommates, and despite hours of walking, playing, wearing a backpack, despite great food, constant socializing, we cannot completely get rid of demons in her head. She has been always insecure and reactive since day one; even as I have handled endlessly to show that we are not mean she is still unpredictable. Last night I saved myself by muzzling her while she tried not to just nip, but attack me-she protested against me VERBALLY correcting her for going towards a dog that was approaching us. That's how unfortunately it goes with her-a thousand times I tell her to leave it, and she happily obeys, and one in a thousand times she snarls and goes after me if i walk her away or touch her. We structured every day with her, we learned not to argue in front of her and not to excite her, I play, brush, walk her endlessly but even after being submissive and calm for a couple of days, she all of a sudden gets tense, nervous or seemingly dominant (tries to correct me with her teeth for rubbing her belly, pushing me, etc.). I tried different techniques getting her to be non-aggressive, we speak calmly around her, watch her like hawks, but recently it became dangerous. It is also hard to predict as we just had a wonderful day at the park a day ago, I was there for 4 hours playing with her and training a little of-leash, we came home and she was great, and then the very next day she started a wild and growly fit for me simply telling her "NO!" and right after I put a muzzle on her and started quickly walking her home she exploded in terrifying snarling and lunged at me attempting to bite my upper body. I just held the leash and without even looking at her kept pushing her away and walking home praying her muzzle holds together. She had these episodes since the day one, when she wanted anything she would loudly complain and bit if touched.

But she was of course much smaller. We had to go through isolation week again a months ago, and it seemed to only help for another week before she slid back to her normal, reactive self. She even exhibits dominant behavior the minute I relax, steps on my feet, gets aggressive when touched while she is on her back being brushed or rubbed. we allow her to be off-leash, allow her the zoomies... not anymore. I feel like we live with a wolf in the house, it can be sweet 90% of the time but that 10% of the time it's like she is not even my dog. I was sucking it up until now, but recently my illness got worse and I am plainly afraid she will injure me.

I was pretty much in tears all night yesterday. My husband told me many times that it's time to put her to sleep, that she is not fit to be with humans and that we have had too much suffering with her. We kept going on with this for over a year. She will be put to sleep this or next week.
It s extremely painful to me as I never had this problem with any of my dogs, which I had since they were puppies. I don't know if we will get an Akita again. Please take care guys, and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Candi
Candi

January 11th, 2012, 8:22 pm #2

Sad news for ALL of us involved, but at about the same price as it would cost you to have a Vet put her to sleep, you MIGHT be able to place Yume at Best Friends (no kill) Animal Sanctuary -- It's certainly worth a try for everyone's sake, so here's a LINK to their website, Maria...

http:///www.bestfriends.org

Candi
Candi

January 11th, 2012, 8:26 pm #3

January 11th, 2012, 9:09 pm #4

Candi; we are looking into it. it is very far from us and we are moving next month to Arkansas, we were planning to take Yume but no longer. After a move, we can't afford to take her to Utah. We are that financially strapped. If we could ship her and they agree, then maybe, but she might get even more traumatized by the flight. We will contact them of course. We do not feel that she is safe to live in a home.

I have done parts of Volhard test with her (it's a puppy aptitude test) and she still scores only ones and twos, with an interesting twist of a couple of sixes. She still responds aggressively to being lifted onto a grooming table, turned over, and held quietly without attempting to get nasty. A couple of nerve-related sixes show us tat she is covering up her insecurities with aggression, and has been ever since we got her. As my husband said just this morning, she can be wonderful a thousand times over about say walking close to a wall, past a running bus, while being turned upside down and have her belly groomed, or any other occasions were her power is taken away even a bit, but in that one-thousandth tie she will attack. it looks like she is unstable. We went to my see my husband's little nephew a a couple months ago and naturally a two-year old wanted to bump into her, laughing, which would not phase any of my dogs. I was holding her (gently) so he could pet her, and she had a panic attack. i saw her roll her eyes and pant and immediately told little boy's mom to pick up the kid. I simply knew she would bite him.

Another time, we were in the mall and she was lying under our table at lunch. A sweet little very quiet girl, about 3 years old, came up to her, not too close, and waved at Yume. Yume had tensed up and stared at her without blinking, all muscles tense as if she wanted to go after her....It honestly scared me. I never let her to be "assaulted" by little kids, dogs or people, ho harassment allowed as I always protected her, but she CAME TO US not right in the head. We certainly did not abuse her, not sure if previous owners did. I tested her a little as we got her, she mouthed very painfully and simply walked all over us, but she on the other hand retrieved for me-and she never done it for anyone before that; so i thought I can fix her. Even by the tests, she is unstable. I checked with Volhard website, i only ran the test or the adult dogs with her. I don't want to pass this kind of issue on to someone.

Last edited by TellTaleArt on January 11th, 2012, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candi
Candi

January 11th, 2012, 9:47 pm #5

...we drove from San Francisco to East Texas (just across the stateline from Arkansas) and traveled along the route that went through Southern Utah right past the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, so if they would be willing to receive Yume into their care, you could definitely drop her off with them (if you'll be moving house by car/truck) -- Anyway, they work absolute MIRACLES with unadoptable dogs, so I hope you can make some arrangement there for your girl, Maria.

January 11th, 2012, 10:22 pm #6

and bought the tickets a few weeks ago, before she got really bad. I can't drive due to illness, husband has no license. We will call/e-mail them about her. We can ship her probably. We'll see. Thank you very much, Candi.

By the way, we just ran a slightly different test on her behaviours and she scored even worse...apparently, we never paid real attention to her fight drive. She has extremely low pack drive on all tests and very high fight and prey drive. We were stupid to think she can be rehabilitated by us, casual dog owners.

January 17th, 2012, 10:28 pm #7

Me and my husband want to thank you guys for your great help over the last year, we have always followed your advice, and advice of other smart folks. We are the people who adopted Yume. Unfortunately, and to my greatest pain, she cannot be with us any longer as she started exhibiting even more aggression towards us and to be honest she never really stopped it altogether. I have been walking on eggshells with her for the last few months. We live alone now, no roommates, and despite hours of walking, playing, wearing a backpack, despite great food, constant socializing, we cannot completely get rid of demons in her head. She has been always insecure and reactive since day one; even as I have handled endlessly to show that we are not mean she is still unpredictable. Last night I saved myself by muzzling her while she tried not to just nip, but attack me-she protested against me VERBALLY correcting her for going towards a dog that was approaching us. That's how unfortunately it goes with her-a thousand times I tell her to leave it, and she happily obeys, and one in a thousand times she snarls and goes after me if i walk her away or touch her. We structured every day with her, we learned not to argue in front of her and not to excite her, I play, brush, walk her endlessly but even after being submissive and calm for a couple of days, she all of a sudden gets tense, nervous or seemingly dominant (tries to correct me with her teeth for rubbing her belly, pushing me, etc.). I tried different techniques getting her to be non-aggressive, we speak calmly around her, watch her like hawks, but recently it became dangerous. It is also hard to predict as we just had a wonderful day at the park a day ago, I was there for 4 hours playing with her and training a little of-leash, we came home and she was great, and then the very next day she started a wild and growly fit for me simply telling her "NO!" and right after I put a muzzle on her and started quickly walking her home she exploded in terrifying snarling and lunged at me attempting to bite my upper body. I just held the leash and without even looking at her kept pushing her away and walking home praying her muzzle holds together. She had these episodes since the day one, when she wanted anything she would loudly complain and bit if touched.

But she was of course much smaller. We had to go through isolation week again a months ago, and it seemed to only help for another week before she slid back to her normal, reactive self. She even exhibits dominant behavior the minute I relax, steps on my feet, gets aggressive when touched while she is on her back being brushed or rubbed. we allow her to be off-leash, allow her the zoomies... not anymore. I feel like we live with a wolf in the house, it can be sweet 90% of the time but that 10% of the time it's like she is not even my dog. I was sucking it up until now, but recently my illness got worse and I am plainly afraid she will injure me.

I was pretty much in tears all night yesterday. My husband told me many times that it's time to put her to sleep, that she is not fit to be with humans and that we have had too much suffering with her. We kept going on with this for over a year. She will be put to sleep this or next week.
It s extremely painful to me as I never had this problem with any of my dogs, which I had since they were puppies. I don't know if we will get an Akita again. Please take care guys, and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I know you tried so hard with her, more than most people would have. It's a hard decision to make because I know you love her so much, but your safety is more important. Sometimes a dog is just unstable and we have to do what is responsible. No matter what kind of rehabilitation effort you are willing to make, an unstable dog is still dangerous, even if it is fine 90% of the time. It's kind of like a person with a mental disorder, you know? It's not your fault. Sorry your first Akita happened to be a dog with something not quite right in her head. The breed is not like that, but one or two bad apples can put the entire breed in a bad light. It's the same with pitbulls, Rottweilers, and even German Shepherds I suppose. The great majority of them are very sweet dogs but there are a few that are crazy and that's what all the media focuses on. I hope you will be able to find a trustworthy canine companion to heal your pain.

January 20th, 2012, 1:31 am #8

Since I'm not familiar with Yume's situation what dosage of thyroid medication is she on?
Deb

January 20th, 2012, 8:01 am #9

She's never been on it; do you think it has something to do with her thyroid? we asked the vet as SPCA and they just waved at us. Same vets that still insist on us feeding her Purina:-( so i don't know how reliable they are.

January 20th, 2012, 8:17 am #10

Hypothyroidism can make dogs unreasonably aggressive. It's one of the first things to check for if your dog all of a sudden turns aggressive. I thought you had her checked when you first got her... my mistake. You can read more about it here:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/medical-ca ... page1.aspx