pup colors

pup colors

January 3rd, 2010, 9:18 pm #1

hello all this is my first post but i have been creaping around for a while . I am getting an akita puppy and have pick of litter and am very interested in an almost all black pup , but I can see a brownish color in with black, now that pup is aprox 4 weeks old i think it is going to be brindle (which is a very nice color but not for me) just wondering will color come out alot more as he grows?
Last edited by seanmackenzie on January 3rd, 2010, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 3rd, 2010, 11:04 pm #2

Don't pick a puppy based on color. Pick on temperament, health, male or female, parents...there's more, I'm sure.

January 3rd, 2010, 11:15 pm #3

i have know both female and male parents for about 1 year , both very good dogs . i know i want a male for sure. have been visiting pups almost every day and its hard to find dogs personalitys as of yet. i believe they all have good personalitys , how would i know temperment,ect.? just from watching them "play" with each other? i also believe the owner makes the dog and dog is what it is is based on training or lack there of.
Last edited by seanmackenzie on January 3rd, 2010, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 3rd, 2010, 11:17 pm #4

Don't pick a puppy based on color. Pick on temperament, health, male or female, parents...there's more, I'm sure.
and if it's a decent breeder, they'll be the one to choose a puppy for you. They would know, better then you, who would be a good match.

[/IMG]

January 3rd, 2010, 11:41 pm #5

i have know both female and male parents for about 1 year , both very good dogs . i know i want a male for sure. have been visiting pups almost every day and its hard to find dogs personalitys as of yet. i believe they all have good personalitys , how would i know temperment,ect.? just from watching them "play" with each other? i also believe the owner makes the dog and dog is what it is is based on training or lack there of.
This is NOT my area of expertise...the only puppies I like are other people's puppies! Give me a lazy adult!

I'm sure there are many others on the board that can give you specifics on what to look for when picking out a puppy.

I'd focus on the parents...thyroid's checked? Elbows, hips, eyes, knees? Do either have their CGC or TT?

What exactly are YOU looking for? Tons of Akitas out there.

January 4th, 2010, 12:01 am #6

and if it's a decent breeder, they'll be the one to choose a puppy for you. They would know, better then you, who would be a good match.

[/IMG]
I answer your question. Black rarley stays black. Most all pups will change in color as they grow older.

January 4th, 2010, 12:22 am #7

hello all this is my first post but i have been creaping around for a while . I am getting an akita puppy and have pick of litter and am very interested in an almost all black pup , but I can see a brownish color in with black, now that pup is aprox 4 weeks old i think it is going to be brindle (which is a very nice color but not for me) just wondering will color come out alot more as he grows?
about Akita pups is that there color is never certain! If you are seeing an underlying color, most likely that will come out and be the color, but there colors can change a few times during the first year.
It should be apparent by now if the pup is a brindle or not and the breeder should be able to tell you. A brindle pup will always stay a brindle but the color of the brindling can change.

January 4th, 2010, 4:18 am #8

Mine sure did. Here he is at 2 weeks, and then at 2-1/2 years

If you have your heart set on a particular color, it seems like your best bet is to find an experienced breeder who knows their dogs. They'll be able to give you a pretty close idea of what the four-week old puppy will turn out looking like. The top thing on my wish list was a dark mask - and now I just laugh. I love my boy's face just like it is.

<center>
</center>

January 4th, 2010, 4:27 am #9

Look at baby Trooper!

January 4th, 2010, 2:44 pm #10

A brindle will stay brindle -- Also, as others have said, make sure your breeder does ALL the recommended HEALTH tests & ask for the certificates of proof !!! And I would absolutely for sure, without fail, choose a pup with the best temperament (that means do NOT pick the boldest, bossiest, most dominant "alpha" male bully OR the most aloof, independent, anti-social pup OR a shy, skittish pup that gets pounded by the rest of its litter (if there is one of those in that batch).

The Akita Club of America USED to post a great Akita-SPECIFIC Puppy Temperament TEST on their website, but I couldn't find it when I looked just now -- Here's the only link I saw there:

http://www.akitaclub.org/tempermnt/temperament.html

So, I would email sherry@sherob.com and ASK her to send you a copy of her AKITA Puppy Temperament Test...