Rising Concerns

Annoluck
Candidate
Annoluck
Candidate

Feb 14 2018, 06:20 PM #1

V'nin of Brown Evonoth

In one of the larger Healing Rooms, set on the second level, the heady aroma of brewed klah permeated the air. The source was a medium sized pot set on a hotplate. A nearby lamp, providing a soft source of illumination, was aimmed at a small scattered pile of papers, many containing hand scribbled notes on the sides or else in several empty gaps. A small mug, partially filled, sat close by. The current owner of the the pile was situated nearby, his scarred face partially lit by an activated computer monitor. Amber eyes, washed out by the closer pale light, were momentarily press to the eyepieces of a microscope, making careful adjustments. "Aivas, could you pull up segment one four," He drew out the second word as he made another ajustment. "Correction, segment one three eef." He eased back slightly to look at the monitor, where an image quickly appeared. For a long moment, he stared before sighing and ran a hand over his face. So many questions needed to be answered...and he had no answers thus far for any of them.

Elsie
Hatchling
Elsie
Hatchling

Feb 14 2018, 10:24 PM #2

Yahtoaandaleeth was a very active dragon, and with that activity came many opportunities for the blue to sustain cuts and bruises. In the six turns since she’d Impressed him (well, the six turns that she’d been awake for, anyway), Cyrene had gotten proficient at patching up these cuts herself, getting used to applying the ointments and bandages that kept the wounds clean and protected while they healed, but she didn’t have unlimited supplies, and every now and then she had to visit the infirmary to restock.

Arriving at the infirmary, the young woman headed for the space that she knew was used by the dragon healers. She only had to follow her nose, for the rich smell of klah drew her on, getting stronger as she went. She peeked into one of the rooms, then stepped inside, grinning. “Hey V’nin,” She greeted brightly. Cyrene was friendly with everyone, especially people that hailed from the same home as herself; V’nin was also a High Reaches rider. “Not bothering you am I? You look like you’re doing something important.” She tilted her head curiously at the man’s microscope.
We’nell, 16yo female weyrling of Jasper Veroschkath
Cyrene, 19yo female wingrider of Blue Yahtoaandaleeth
Avital, 37yo male adviser

Annoluck
Candidate
Annoluck
Candidate

Feb 15 2018, 12:17 AM #3

V'nin had leaned back, his arms crossed across his chest, his face contorted in a look on extreme concentration, as he took another look at the monitor. Just when I think I understand you and your brothers and sisters, you manage to hatch something new. He sent to his bond, shaking his head. How can I hatch again? V'nin couldn't help but laugh, even as a voice called out his name. He turned to greet whomever it was, only to be presented a familiar face. "Ah, Cyrene. Greeting. How fairs Yahtoaandaleeth?" He paused, his head tilting slightly as though he was listening for something, a warm smile spreading on his face. "Evonoth sends his regards."

He turned toward her fully, indicating she had his full attention. "Hardly. In fact, your arrival was rather timely as it gives me an excuse to step away from all this. If only for a few moments." He motioned toward the pot. " Klah? It's not exactly fresh, but it does pass the taste test."

Elsie
Hatchling
Elsie
Hatchling

Feb 15 2018, 08:57 PM #4

Cyrene gave a friendly grin at V’nin’s greeting. “Oh, he’s fine. Currently out cold. Knackered himself flying rings around the island again.” She shook her head in mock-exasperation; Andy was never still while he was awake, and he only slept when he’d thoroughly tired himself out with his activity. “I’m sure he would send his regards if he were conscious though, and my regards to Evonoth, too, of course.”

“Oh, don’t mind if I do,” she replied to the offer of klah, coming further into the room and settling herself in a chair beside the one V’nin sat on. She looked curiously at the microscope, tempted to peer down the eyepieces and fiddle with its many knobs, but she thought that might disrupt the dragon healer’s work. The microscope might well break the moment she touched it, and she didn’t think V’nin would thank her for that. “What is it you’re looking at?” She asked; perhaps the brownrider could satisfy her curiosity before she gave into temptation and had a look herself.

Annoluck
Candidate
Annoluck
Candidate

Feb 17 2018, 12:54 AM #5

V'nin couldn't help but shake his head at Yahtoaandaleeth's antics. He figured the energetic blue would be trying to burn off excess energy. "Just so long at he doesn't push himself too hard, else I'll have Mallitorioth ground him for medical reasons." He stated playfully as he got up and retrieved another mug before crossing back and filling it.

He attended to his own mug, topping it off before handing the second one to Cyrene. He took a sip, taking a moment to enjoy the warmth as it suffused through him. He turned to see that the Blue Rider was focusing on the microscope. "Just trying to see if there's any noticeable changes to the deenay of our dragons, compared to prior to our being frozen." He sighed. "So far....nothing I can see. Not sure how the Ancients were able to tell when something had changed."

Elsie
Hatchling
Elsie
Hatchling

Feb 17 2018, 09:23 AM #6

“Uch, I think he would literally die,” Cyrene replied to V’nin’s joking threat, imagining what would happen if Andy were denied an outlet for his boundless energy. “That or be so insufferably annoying that I keeled over- Oh, lovely, thank you.” She reached out to take the mug from the brownrider and clasped it in both hands, holding it under her nose. She sighed in contentment as the warm, rich aroma filled her lungs. There was just something so comforting about the smell of klah.

She listened to V’nin explain what he was doing with the microscope, her expression open and receptive. Cyrene knew virtually nothing about deenay; it had been described to her as ‘a blueprint to build bodies’, but that seemed to imply that, somewhere inside her, there was a tiny sheet of paper with a schematic drawing on it, and that didn’t seem right at all. It was still interesting to listen to V’nin talk, though, and who knew? Perhaps this was an opportunity to learn something. “Well there must be something different, right? Something must have made Mall change colour, and Evonoth too, of course.” She nodded to V’nin; his own brown had come out of his cryochamber a distinctly different hue than when he’d entered. She gave an encouraging smile, “So I’m sure you’ll find it. What does deenay look like?” She glanced hopefully at the microscope, hoping V’nin would get the hint.

Annoluck
Candidate
Annoluck
Candidate

Feb 20 2018, 10:05 PM #7

V'nin was as sharp as a dragon's eyesight. He had to be when it came to discerning what might be affecting a person or a dragon. He had indeed noticed her glances at the microscope, a knowing smile on his face. He didn't blame her for her curiosity, as it was something outside her knowledge base. He stood up and patted the chair he had just occupied. "Hop up." He said, almost authoritatively.

He gave her a quick overview of the microscope and how to carefully adjust the view through the eyepieces. Taking a moment to ensure that the specimen slide was set firmly in place, he gave her a nod that she could look.

What was seen: A series of green semi-transparent bars, arranged in seemingly alternating bands of darker and lighter stripes. A long thin arrow, angled up from the lower left, seemed to be pointing at a spot just to the side of one band, though it seemed to just be pointing as there was nothing at the point.

Elsie
Hatchling
Elsie
Hatchling

Feb 21 2018, 10:04 AM #8

Cyrene gave a pleased smile as V’nin got the hint. She scrambled into the chair and immediately peered through the eyepieces, but saw nothing but some semi circles of pale light. She sat back to listen to V’nin’s instructions, then at his nod, got to work. The problem had been the distance between the eyepieces, and once she’d adjusted that, she only had to play with the focus a little. “Oh wow,” She gasped as the green bars came into view, and spent some time gazing at them, her fingers glancing over the knobs on the side of the microscope, but not actually turning them. Once she’d looked her fill, she moved away from the microscope to let V’nin take up his spot again.

“And those green lines, those are inside us? And our dragons? And they determine what we look like? That’s incredible.” Cyrene peered at the skin of her arm as though expecting to see tiny green streaks. When she naturally didn’t, she took up the mug of klah - now cool enough to drink - and sipped at it thoughtfully, the initial reason for her visit completely gone from her mind. “How did the ancients find out about deenay?” She wondered aloud, “Did AIVAS show them?” If so, that raised the question of how AIVAS knew, but Cyrene was beginning to think more and more like the Pernese when it came to that computer, and she was quite happy to accept that it ‘just knew’ things.

Annoluck
Candidate
Annoluck
Candidate

Feb 21 2018, 10:46 PM #9

V'nin chuckled softly. It was refreshing to see such enthusiasm. Even as the Blue Rider was near enthralled, he shifted in attention to a small tray that held several other prepared specimens, all canted at a slight angle. He carefully picked out a couple more and set them aside. Noticing that Cyrene had now vacated the seat, he sat down on the edge of it and set about replacing the slide.

"Well, yes, they are. Except ours are actually shaded red. Remember when blood was collected from both you and Yahtoaandaleeth after you woke up from Freeze?" He readjusted the eyepieces to sight the slide, moving it on the table until he saw what he wanted. He leaned back slightly at the question about the discovery of deenay and the Ancients. "If I remember correctly, the Ancients knew about deenay long before Aivas was even built." He turned his head to look sharply at her. "Don't tell me you're starting to believe all that crackdust they believe about it."

Ester
Weyrling
Ester
Weyrling

Feb 21 2018, 11:03 PM #10

Part of being Weyrwoman meant going over lists of things they needed. Supplies weren't exactly limitless, although smaller things, like numbweed, could be cultivated and stored for long periods of time. That didn't mean everything could be, though, and Ariaceli had delegated some time to touring the infirmary on level two with one of the healers to see what she needed to add to their list of things to procure. It had taken forever. She had hoped that the healers would simply hand her a list, but instead they had taken her around and showed her everything. She was so tired, and there was still a pile of work waiting for her back in her room. There were so many things that needed to be taken care of, but that all could wait, because as Ariaceli was preparing the paperwork that had finally been given to her by the healers at the end of their tour, the distinctive and delightful smell of klah entered her vicinity. Ariaceli was many things, and one of those was a sucker for sugar, and especially the delightful goodness of that drink which came with the added bonus of waking her up. It didn't take long for Ariaceli to finish squaring off the edges of her lists, and curling the paper up under her arm, headed off to follow her nose. Pushing her hair back out of her face, Ariaceli had to turn a few corners and run into a few dead ends before she found the source of the delicious smell that promised to revive her tired state. If she had been anyone but the Weyrwoman, she might have felt slight embarrassment at simply pushing the door to the office-looking room open and poking her head inside. As it was, she spotted two of the other riders inside. While Ariaceli might have been having some trouble remembering the names of the candidates who were swarming around the compound like delightful little spinners, she knew all of the riders, and it was easy enough to recognize V'nin and Cyrene. A wide smile spread across Ariaceli's face as she scanned the room for the source of the delicious smell of klah.

"V'nin! Cyrene! I smelled klah. Do either of you mind if I grab a cup? I never realized before that healers are an incredibly chatty bunch, and I really need a pickmeup." Her gaze shifted to what the two riders were doing, although at the moment, Ariaceli's focus was far more on the promise of klah. She'd heard a little bit of their conversation as she'd opened the door, but it had only been a snippet, and Ariaceli hadn't wished to be ruder than she was already being by interjecting herself into the conversation the two of them were having. "I have to go translate this healer scrawl into a list of supplies, so I can't stay long. Oh! V'nin! Did you have anything to add? Anything at all you need? I'm sending a scavenger party out in a few sevendays for supplies and salvage." It was, unfortunately, the only way, but Ariaceli hoped that it could turn up some interesting finds. "Oh, and that reminds me as well..." Ariaceli looked at the microscope that was sitting next to V'nin that he had obviously been using. "You've accessed AIVAS? I need to talk to it. I have some questions for it." That was more an aside, before Ariaceli turned to Cyrene and gave the bluerider a warm smile. "And I was hoping to talk to you too, Cyrene. Actually about that scavenging party I mentioned. You and Yahtoaandaleeth would be perfect to head it up, if you two want. I need to figure out more details, but if you and Yahtoaandaleeth are up for it, Mal and I have some suggestions." Tired for Ariaceli was not exactly tired for other people. She always seemed to have some reserve somewhere, although sometimes it wore thin, like right now, even if Ariaceli was managing to talk very quickly. "Sorry. I'll get out of your hair, but... klah? Please? I could really use it."

Elsie
Hatchling
Elsie
Hatchling

Feb 22 2018, 09:05 PM #11

Well of course humans’ deenay was red; why had Cyrene not realised that herself? She knew, of course, that human blood was red, and that dragon blood - or ichor, to give it its proper name - was green, but she had not associated the green of ichor with the green of the little bands she’d seen in the microscope. Once it was pointed out to her though, it seemed obvious, and lead her to conclude that deenay clearly resided in the blood. She snorted in laughter when V’nin asked her about her thoughts on AIVAS, setting down her mug. “Well, V’nin, you never know,” She teased lightly, “You have to admit it’s quite miraculous that we slept for eight hundred turns and came out the other side alive.” But then she gave her head a little shake. “But don’t worry, I know I’m not some kind of holy messenger or anything - they’ve got that bit wrong - and I’m still not sure what they’re on about with a soul.” In truth, Cyrene was as yet unconvinced either way, finding some parts of the religious crafters’ teaching compelling while thinking that other parts were patently false.

It was at that moment that Ariaceli unexpectedly entered. Some riders might have been alarmed to have had the highest-ranking person in the Weyr suddenly appear, but for Cyrene, Ariaceli’s whirwind of activity was energising. “Hey Celi!” She greeted brihgtly, “It’s V’nin’s klah, but I’m sure he wouldn’t mind you having some. You really should; it’s so good.” She started to take a great swig of her own mug as the weyrwoman talked to V’nin, then froze and almost choked on it when Ariaceli suggested she head up the next scavenging party. “What, really?” She asked, incredulously, then grinned hugely. “I mean, we’d love to! Or I would anyway - he’s asleep - ah, no he isn’t.” Cyrene’s excitement had woken Andy up, and since the blue could spring from the deepest sleep to wakefulness with all the speed of a jack-in-the-box, he was already enthusiastically voicing his support to Cyrene.

“We’d love too!” Cyrene confirmed, still grinning stupidly; it wasn’t that she wanted responsibility, per se, it was more that she was thrilled to be trusted enough to be asked. “Oh, it’ll do him the world of good to get out the complex for a bit too.”