Turn 2 - Lesson 1

Level 1

A large hall that contains numerous sitting areas, several viewing screens, small computer stations, and enough room to hold a great number of people, and its the first stop for most newcomers to the complex. Most people like to hang out and relax in this area.

Turn 2 - Lesson 1

Ester
Weyrling
Ester
Weyrling

Feb 11 2018, 10:42 PM #1

The perpetual frown that graced Ael's otherwise rather beautiful face was firmly in place as he stood and waited for his Weyrlings to appear. He knew they were coming, but he still couldn't help the small flutter of anxiety in his stomach. He'd been doing his best, but they were entering into the dangerous portion of training. He wasn't quite confident in his ability to direct the current batch of Weyrlings under his tutelage how to Between, as of yet, but there was plenty of preparation that the Weyrlings could do to help themselves along. Another sevenday and Ael'thyristin would trust both his Weyrlings and himself a little more with the momentous task of Betweening. Absently, eyes still watching the door while he waited for the Weyrlings to appear, Ael reached down and straightened the six tablets that lay on the table next to him. Placed next to each tablet, a piece of paper and a pencil lay waiting for the Weyrlings. Closing his eyes for the briefest moment, Ael reached out to touch the bond he had with Xhaillocth. The blue was asleep, and Ael didn't dare wake him, but the gentle touch was enough to remind the rider that the anxiety he was feeling would pass. His position couldn't be helped, and despite his standoffish nature, he had been doing his best by the Weyrlings. He'd spoken at length with the Weyrwoman about the Weyrling lessons in general, but about this specific lesson in particular. There was no way to make Betweening totally safe, as they had both known, but they could over prepare the Weyrlings for it, and that was exactly what Ael had had in mind. So this sevenday, the Weyrlings had a separate piece of homework to accomplish besides their general daily chores, oiling and washing their bonded partner, and the excessive exercises that were meant to get them in tip-top shape for fighting Thread. He thought, at least, that this might be a little bit of fun for some of them. His face scrunched up at the word fun, although he forced it to relax after a moment, gaze shifting back to the door. He relaxed even more when he realized he was still alone. No one had seen his ridiculous facial expression.

Even if he wasn't predisposed to having fun himself, he knew it would be beneficial for the Weyrlings, both mentally to keep their minds off of the horrors that were still fresh in their heads and thoughts, as well as preparing them for the task of finding their way safely through the non-space of Between. The Weyrwoman had backed him up when he'd proposed making the first destination for the first jump for the Weyrlings a wide open space. He'd decided on the space just outside the Signal Tower, because apart from that structure, there wasn't anything up there, but it was also a memorable view. That last part was, of course, the key. He needed the Weyrlings to memorize that space, and thus the use of the tablets and the paper and pencil. A photo, as well as a drawing by each of the Weyrlings would hopefully help solidify the image in their minds well enough, and as a bonus, it would teach them exactly how well they needed to memorize a space to perfect the process. They would be using the Signal Tower as their starting place, as it opened up and the railings could be moves aside as well as the doors. It would easily fit all of their dragons together as one without issue. That would be in a sevenday, though. This lesson was all about the memorization of the space. It didn't matter to Ael if the Weyrlings were decent at drawing or not. How the actual drawing came out wasn't the point, but if the Weyrlings spent several candlemarks on the drawings each, then hopefully they'd be able to memorize the space without issue, and then the day of Betweening lessons, they would all go together and look over the space one more time. That way there was no risk of Timing. Ael had also discussed that with the Weyrwoman as well, and once again they had been relatively of the same mind. They wouldn't hide that particular ability of the dragons from the Weyrlings. Hiding it could do no good for anyone, and possibly result in more loss of life rather than less. Besides, after scouring the records of AIVAS, there was no hint of random sightings of dragons before The Frozen had awoken, so Ael doubted if there was anyone who was too curious.

Ael sighed and resisted the urge to once again straighten the already perfectly straight tablets. He'd never wanted to be a Senior Weyrlingmaster this early, let alone the only Weyrlingmaster, but fate, that ever cruel arbitrator of higher design, had seen fit to put him in such a position. He'd done reasonably well up until this point, as far as he could tell. None of the Weyrlings had died thus far, and they were all flying. The six of the Ragtag Weyrlings were, at the very least, a good starting point for him. He was not looking forward to the hopefully not seventeen Weyrlings coming out of the Snow and Sea clutch, although a part of him felt guilty for wishing so. He obviously wanted all of the eggs to hatch and be full of vibrant, healthy, strong dragonets that impressed at once to their respective riders, but he was not looking forward to trying to corral that many Weyrlings at once. At least he wouldn't be all by himself. He'd have Xhaillocth. His blue life-partner had been indispensable up until this point, and while this was not the first Weyrling lesson without him, Ael still felt the familiar pangs of anxiety creep into his chest and knot his stomach up. It was always easier with his dragon around, even if Xhaillocth wasn't always the most polite of creatures. He got his point across and eased the worry that plagued his rider. The future was in the hands and claws of everyone, rider and dragon, at Star Island, but, waiting for the Weyrlings to arrive, Ael'thyristin felt the most certain sensation that the future was very clearly, in this moment, in his hands. If any of the Weyrlings were lost to the bitter and endless cold of Between, there would be no one to blame but him, and the blow to the hopefullness of the upcoming clutch would be felt for turns, if not lifetimes. He simply had to succeed in making sure this process was as safe as he could. Inhaling deeply, Ael straightened himself up to his full height and let the breath out slowly, willing the anxiety to depart with it. The small trick, followed up by a very steady and regulated breath, helped Ael calm himself down, at least for the moment. He wouldn't let the anxiety show to the Weyrlings. That was the only thing he intended to keep from them while explaining the extra work he had for them on this day.

(Like candidate lessons, Weyrling lessons are not mandatory! What we ask, is, if you have no desire to post in the lesson, you post with your Weyrling like you would any candidate character. At least 1 thread with at least 10 posts in it within every activity check period per lesson posted in that period! So, if 3 lessons are posted, then have at least 3 threads with the 10 posts per thread in that activity period. However, like candidate lessons, touchings, hatchings, and plot, you do receive double the marks for posting in Weyrling Lessons, and with so many people posting, it will fulfill that thread requirement quickly.)

Elsie
Hatchling
Elsie
Hatchling

Feb 12 2018, 09:14 AM #2

Ever since Veroschkath had hatched, We’nell had longed for the day when she'd be able to ride upon the dragon's back in flight. That day having come some prior, We’nell had switched her anticipation to learning that skill unique to dragons and those who flew with them; the ability to teleport to any known place by means of traveling Between. She wanted it for the convenience, of course, but there were other, perhaps even greater draws. She wanted another skill to master, a means to prove to the weyrling master that she was diligent and competent, and she wanted to fit in with the Frozen riders. Until she could Between with ease, she would not be a rider in full. There had been the temptation to try before the topic was raised in lessons. We’nell was an avid reader, and had found descriptions in old texts that made the process sound straightforward enough. She had resisted the urge not out of fear of it going wrong, but because, as Vero pointed out, it would anger Ael'thyristin and seem like unseemly showing off to her classmates.

And so We’nell was eager for Betweening lessons to begin, and as she and Vero made their way to their latest lesson - perfectly on time, as usual - the girl wondered aloud to the dragon whether this would finally be the day when the topic was broached. Patience, darling; Ael'thyristin knows what he's doing he'll teach us when we're ready. Came the calm, mild response as the pair headed for the meeting room. We’nell could only sigh and ruminate on her impatience in private.

They were the first to arrive at the lesson, but that was nothing new. As they entered, We’nell sent a warm, friendly smile the weyrling master’s way, while Vero dipped her head to him respectfully, avoiding eye contact. We’nell had gotten over her fear of Ael’thyristin long ago; he might seem stern and unsmiling, but he rarely lost his temper and was less strict that some of the teachers We’nell had in her craft. Vero, however, was afraid of virtually everyone. They headed for their habitual places, Vero huddled small against the wall, on the right side of the room from the weyrling master’s perspective, and We’nell sank into the seat next to her. No matter where weyrling lessons were held, the pair always gravitated to this sort of orientation. Now settled in, they awaited their classmates and the onset of the lesson.
We’nell, 16yo female weyrling of Jasper Veroschkath
Cyrene, 19yo female wingrider of Blue Yahtoaandaleeth
Avital, 37yo male adviser

Jail Rose
Candidate
Jail Rose
Candidate

Feb 12 2018, 12:37 PM #3

Eijo'vikos, aside from the fact that he was a journeyman healer now, and had finally mastered the arts of healer craft, had always wondered what it was like to be a true rider. Dragons were already one of the parts of his life he had now; he had Daegnyth the blue, the squat and lively little dragon he had impressed some year ago. Daegnyth was already a part of his very life, as well as the dragon having him as a part of his. Eijo'vikos knew he shouldn't be focusing only for himself, but he also needed to pay attention to the dragon. Thread was a dangerous foe Pern could have and he and Daegnyth needed to be prepared for it. Nothing good will happen and no improvement will come if all he does is sit and wait for a patient to be healed.

Betweening was a skill he was most intrigued of, yet he did not bother to even know how it works. Well, surely not anymore. Weyrling training will surely explain lots about it, and that would leave Eijo'vikos a curious and diligent student, eager to know more. The healer knew he had to be a part of this weyrling training. No, it was not simply for improving skills. It was to prove that he was a part of a hope for Pern, and Daegnyth a valuable dragon with use.

Both rider and dragon entered the room where they would partake to classes. Eijo'vikos' walked in timidly, whereas his dragon could simply look around the room in awe. The rider then turned only to spot two figures hunched in one corner of the room. A rider with a jasper dragon? Both looked familiar, but he couldn't put a finger on it. He was sure, however, that he had met them before.

We should sit somewhere, Master. Ael'thrystin would be irritable watching us stand here for too long. His dragon stated calmly, which made him nod in agreement. The weyrling master in this room perfectly terrified Eijo'vikos, but he was pretty sure there was more to Ael than just a scary look -- well, at least he looked terrifying to the young man.

Eijo'vikos thought it was probably best to sit next to the jasper and her rider, so he signalled for Daegnyth to come over and follow him. The healer and his dragon sat next to the other pair, with Daegnyth laying his head on his rider's lap. Eijo'vikos smiling at their direction. "W-We would like to sit here next to you both, if you don't mind." He told the other rider. This woman was rather young, Eijo'vikos observed. Not that he mind, anyway. He was rather proud of the young woman to have come here with her dragon.

Ester
Weyrling
Ester
Weyrling

Feb 21 2018, 02:26 AM #4

Ael nodded curtly as the Weyrlings started to appear. They were growing so big, and although Ael'thyristin was not someone who usually felt pride in such things, or really at all, he couldn't help a twinge of satisfaction at the fact that no Weyrling had died during their flight training, and that no one had gotten more than a cursory burn while handling firestone. Of course, the chewing of firestone was yet to come, the lesson after this series of lessons about Betweening. If they could get through this lesson and the next, then Ael would feel significantly better. Once the seats in front of him filled up, Ael took a deep breath for a moment, closing his eyes. When he opened them, his breathing was a little steadier than it had been before. He still didn't enjoy this part of the lesson, explaining everything to the Weyrlings, but there was nothing to be done for it, and he had to continue. He wished Xhaillocth was awake, but didn't dare disturb his dragon. "Good morning. I'm glad to see everyone here. Today we're beginning with the next stage of your training. This is the start to your second Turn, which is something I'm sure none of you have failed to notice. This means that the danger you face as Riders with the return of Thread is growing ever larger, but before you face Thread, there are several other attributes of being a full-fledged rider that you must master first." Ael stopped to take another breath, looking over the Weyrlings who sat in front of him. "I of course, speak of Betweening, which is something I've sure you all have heard enough about, as well as seen some of the riders use. I will tell you now, it is a dangerous enterprise to undertake, and..." Ael paused, looking tired for a second, even if that was astonishing on a man so oddly beautiful. "And in the times of the old Riders, of us, there were many stories about those who failed to master this technique. We cannot afford such mishaps with all of you. You are the hope of the world, as you well know."

Ael stopped for another breath, and then gestured slightly to the table next to him where the paper, pen, and tablets lay. "So, instead of attempting Betweening without generous preparation. To that end, I have prepared these three things for each of you. The tablet is the first on the list. We will be performing our very first Betweening exercise at the top of the Signal Tower, and your jobs are all to go and use the tablet to take... photographs of the area. Use those photographs to memorize the area. Every tree in the correct place, every rock and cranny of the cliffs. The position of Rukbat and the way the horizon looks. You must remember everything." Ael nodded at the tablets and then at the Weyrlings again. "That brings me to the second and third of the objects. The pen and paper. Between now and your lesson next sevenday, you will all draw a picture of that landscape from memory. I don't particularly care about your artistic ability. The idea is to reinforce that image you have of the area. You will be doing this from above, about three dragonlengths above the top deck of the signal tower, and about six out. This is for safety reasons, and that is the area that I want you to take images of and sketch." Ael sighed and gestured for the Weyrlings to come forward and take their assigned items, stepping well out of their way so as not to be accidentally bumped. "This will be an additional work on top of your current chores, which will be posted in the usual place outside your barracks. I ask that you take this work seriously. The act of Betweening can save your life in a Threadfall. It will freeze thread right off of your body, and will stop its spread at once, but you must be able to hold the clear picture of the place you are going in your mind, even through the pain of threadfall. Through anything, the picture must remain clear. If it is not, you will be lost Between, and not even the Golds who will continue to give life to dragons can pull you back."

Ael'thyristin was not always the most conscious of the sensibilities of other people, but he realize this was probably terrifying to the Weyrlings. "We will take every precaution in training you so that none of this happens, but I wish to impress upon you how important this exercise is. We will potentially be joined by several other riders besides myself to help oversee this process. Some of the riders who were selected were chosen because of their expertise in these matters, and I hope to have their help. Please have your sketches ready before class this next sevenday, as well as images that you have taken with the tablets. I'll accept that as proof you did the work. I know none of you have shown the slightest propensity to skimp on this work, and I don't expect you to start now, especially given the warnings I've imparted to you. Know that what I've said was told to all of the Weyrlings in times gone past. You are free to come find me and speak with me if you have any reservations about the upcoming tasks. For now, you all are dismissed. I know you have a lot of work to do, and you can find me in my offices if you need me, as I said. I'll be there until late supper tonight, so if you have any questions, please come by." Ael nodded at the Weyrlings and waited for them all to finish collecting their things. He really did hope that they would take this assignment seriously. He, surprising even himself, didn't care about his reputation in this instance, but he had pride in his work, and his work was in making sure that the Weyrlings under his care remained healthy and happy. They could not be allowed to fail, and that meant Ael'thyristin could not be allowed to fail. They all needed to make sure that this activity was a success. "Ah, and that reminds me, one last thing. You can all participate in finishing this assignment together, if you wish. Just don't allow the others near you to distract you, and do not, for any reason, have their image in the pictures you study. You must have a clear open picture without any obstruction. Good day to you all."

Elsie
Hatchling
Elsie
Hatchling

Feb 22 2018, 09:17 AM #5

We’nell fidgeted while she waited for the other weyrlings to arrive, amusing herself by pulling out a notebook and doodling an abstract pattern on it, while talking rapidly with Vero about the novel the two were reading together in their free time. We’nell rarely got very invested in the novels they read together - Vero’s tastes were far wider ranging than We’nell’s - but the present one, a historical adventure novel set in pre-Freeze times, was one We’nell could enjoy, too. They were now speculating about the way the story might progress, and laughing at its many historical inaccuracies.

They were startled from their silent chatter by the appearance of Eijo’vikos and his blue, Daegnyth, and though Vero watched them both with wide, quiet eyes, We’nell gave the young healer a welcoming smile. She liked Eijo, just as she liked more or less everyone that was shyer and more nervous than herself, and having gotten to know him over the past turn or so of weyrlinghood, any nerves she might have had around him had evaporated. “Of course, come sit!” She said warmly, happy to have the company, and patted the chair.

And then it was time for the lesson to start. We’nell and Vero both listened to the weyrling master intently, a sense of smug satisfaction blossoming in We’nell when she realised that, finally, the topic of Betweening was being raised. She tried to quash her impatience as she sat through Ael’thyristin’s many warnings - they all knew Betweening could be dangerous already - but she couldn’t help but sigh inwardly when the man mentioned ‘generous preparations’. She had been expecting that, if she’d been honest with herself, but it was still a little disappointing, since she figured that probably meant they wouldn’t actually be Betweening for quite a while. Her disappointment grew as she heard the nature of their task. Taking photos was all well and good, but drawing? We’nell was useless at drawing, and Ael’thyristin could stay he didn’t care about their skills till the herdbeasts came home, We’nell still wasn’t enthusiastic about showing him what would undoubtedly be embarrassingly bad attempts. She also found the process of drawing terribly tedious. Still, she was pleasantly surprised to hear that the drawing was expected to be done in a week; hopefully that meant they’d be making their first attempts at Betweening then. Vero gave her a mental prod, chiding her for her foolhardiness, but there was no quashing We’nell’s impatience now.

At the weyrling master’s gesture, We’nell came forward with the other weyrlings to collect her equipment, wondering if the paper and pen were somehow special and whether she couldn’t just use her normal supplies. She took them anyway, and then stood off to the side as Ael’thyristin spoke some more, waiting for him to finish. We’nell was only half-listening to his many warnings and admonishments, preoccupied with formulating the question she wanted to ask, and so when he concluded with what sounded like a dismissal, she was surprised. She blinked, wondering if it would be rude to ask now, but reluctant to make a chore for herself in the form of going to speak to him later that day. Besides, she wanted to get started on the drawing straight away, to get it over with. Eventually she decided to just go for it.

“Umm, Master, sorry if this is a stupid question…” She swayed awkwardly, posture somehow both hunched and upright at the same time. She hated asking questions if she felt the answer should be obvious; it made her feel very thick to have something explained to her that the others had worked out for herself. “But if we memorise where Rukbat is, won’t it be confusing? I mean, because, it moves. Or… Will we just be trying our first attempts at the same time of day as our sketch…?” She frowned as she realised that was also a stupid thing to suggest; unless all the weyrlings collaborated, they were bound to draw at different times, and that would mean they’d each need their own lesson for their first time Betweening.
We’nell, 16yo female weyrling of Jasper Veroschkath
Cyrene, 19yo female wingrider of Blue Yahtoaandaleeth
Avital, 37yo male adviser

Jail Rose
Candidate
Jail Rose
Candidate

Feb 28 2018, 12:23 AM #6

Eijo'vikos smiled at We'nell and her dragon as he and Daegnyth both sat down on the desk next to them. "Good to see you, We'nell. I hope we have found you well." He greeted the female. Daegnyth nodded back in agreement to Vero, before both rider and dragon turned to Ael'thyristin, who started to begin their lesson.

He had always expected that Betweening was to be the first lesson to be discussed; it was an important skill, after all, and like what Ael had said, can help escape from threadfall. There were great risks too, however, should the students like himself fail at this task. The assignment interested him; having to practice the skill of Betweening was exciting for him, but he knew he must be careful. It was also dangerous to attempt if he didn't know how to do it properly.

Once the lesson had ended, Eijo'vikos and Daegnyth stood up from their seat and prepared to leave, when We'nell asked a question. Right... memorising moving places wasn't going to be easy. But then, at least they could try, right?

He patted We'nell on the shoulder and gave a reassuring smile at her. "Do you want to walk outside?" He asked the other weyrling. "We'll be by the doorway if you would like to." He continued. In a matter of a few seconds, Eijo'vikos and Daegnyth exited the room, then stood by the doorway for the girl and her dragon to appear.
{ E X I T }