Training Hard

Elsie
Hatchling
Elsie
Hatchling

Feb 5 2018, 06:52 PM #1

Veroschkath had been a perfectly adept flier for some months now, and no longer needed the flight arena to hone her own skills. There were some skills though that did not require practice on just the part of the dragon, however, but on the part of the rider, too. One such was the deft passing of firestone from the net in which it was carried to the dragon's maw at great speed, a manoeuvre that was trickier than it looked when stood still and required substantial training to carry out during the dizzying twists and turns a dragon made when simultaneously chasing and evading Thread. The flight arena was useful for practicing that technique, for although it was very large, it was nevertheless more enclosed than anywhere else on the island that a dragon could still fly in. Therefore, when We’nell decided that her speed at feeding ‘stone was still not satisfactory, it was the flight arena that she went to with Vero.

The problem was that dragon and rider both were self-conscious about training outside of weyrling classes; We’nell didn't want others to know others to know that she lacked confidence in her abilities, and Vero was just afraid of people in general. Consequently, they'd come at a slightly odd time, during the period between the end if wing drills and the serving of the evening meal in the mess hall, a time when most of the weyrlings were unwinding from the afternoon’s duties. By coming at this time, We’nell hoped that they'd manage to avoid any interruptions, though of course there was always the chance that someone might come by to pick something up, or to get some practice of their own.

Fortunately, We’nell and Veroschkath were both so very focused on their training that they'd forgotten to worry about the possibility of being found. They were working hard, with Vero making repeated short trips across the arena, each containing a series of wild twists and turns, during which We’nell would try to hand Vero a wooden ball, internally weighted with metal, that was about the size and shape of a lump of firestone. If the ball was transferred smoothly from its net o a secure grip in Vero’s mouth before the dragon had half-completed her aerial manoeuvre, the exercise was considered a success. If, as was more common, it took somewhat more time, or, if, as was now very rare, either party dropped the ball, the attempts was considered a failure. The exercise was a hard one, more difficult, in fact, than most ‘stone transfers were during actual Threadfall, but that was as it should be; one should be competent in the most challenging scenario possible, to be sure that there were no fumbles during the real event. Still, the weight of the ball meant it was hard work, and We’nell, being a short girl of slim stature, had worked up something of a sweat.

They landed on one of the highest ledges after a successful attempt, and Vero craned her head back to return the wooden ball to We’nell’s gloved hands. She took it, panting to catch her breath, and stowing the ball back in its net. Just a few more attempts, and we can call it a day, I think. She thought to the dragon, steeling herself. Vero gave a rumble of acquiescence and took off once more, this time diving steeply towards the ground.
We’nell, 16yo female weyrling of Jasper Veroschkath
Cyrene, 19yo female wingrider of Blue Yahtoaandaleeth
Avital, 37yo male adviser

Jail Rose
Candidate
Jail Rose
Candidate

Feb 5 2018, 10:58 PM #2

Kiraya knew her dragon was an adept flier himself, having no problems launching himself into the air, so flying was not a problem. But his rider, while she could always manage to control his movements while flying through the air, she hasn't experienced the terror of thread before, and neither does Eusabvieth have. This said terror will certainly cause havoc all around Pern, and dragons where one of the ways to battle Threadfall. Kiraya knew that aside from merchantry, she would have to learn to battle foes and thread and train her dragon against threats, too. That's why the moment both woke up from such a tiring morning of merchantry, they immediately set foot in the training grounds and made their way into the flight arena, where dragons and riders can train.

Not only did they come to the flight arena to train, it was some way to exercise and loose weight. Eusabvieth was a large -- and chubby -- dragon, so he would have to need some exercise to help himself loose some weight. His love and excess for food wouldn't really help in his situation, so Kiraya told him there would be no food unless they were done in the arena... much to the pearl dragon's distress.

Having arrived at the flight arena, Kiraya and Eusabvieth peeked from behind the door, marvelling at the large size of the court. It also had the necessary equipment to train a dragon and practice the skills of a rider well. The pair soon stepped foot inside the arena, looking around the large room.

That's when something caught Eusabvieth's attention. The pair turned their heads to see that they weren't the only ones in the room. A jasper dragon, along with a rider who looked pretty young, was performing manoeuvres in the air, and the dragon seems to be holding in its maw what looked like a metal ball. Their training quite took some time before finally, they landed on one of the highest ledges just nearby.

Kiraya glanced at Eusabvieth. Don't run off just so suddenly without telling me, okay? She told the white pearl dragon, who simply nodded in understanding.

The jasper dragon and her rider landed on the ground, making it a chance for them to talk. Kiraya gestured for Eusabvieth to come with her, in which he complied. Kiraya and Eusabvieth approached the pair, with Kiraya keeping her best smile on her face. With a few mental soft breaths, she greeted the pair.

"Hello, fellow rider! And greetings, also, to your dragon."

Elsie
Hatchling
Elsie
Hatchling

Feb 6 2018, 09:13 AM #3

Passing ‘stone during a dive was particularly tricky, because Vero instinctively wanted to keep her head angled down, but had to twist it back to take the ‘stone - or wooden ball in this case - in her mouth. They almost managed it this time, but just as she opened her jaws, Vero panicked, thinking herself nearer the ground than she was, and flared her wings to slow her descent, looking down. She landed with a sigh, and We’nell gave her shoulder a quick pat in sympathy.

The voice started them both, making We’nell jump in her saddle and making Vero utter a little squeal and snap her head towards the sound. Both were glad when they saw who it was; Eusabvieth had hatched from the same batch of preserved eggs as Veroschkath, and he and his rider Kiraya had been classmates of We’nell and Vero ever since, learning how to be riders together. We’nell rather liked the young woman, even if her dragon's penchant for attention seeking could be tiring at times, and Vero thought Eusabvieth’s antics were amusing.

Still, for all We’nell might have liked Kiraya, the younger girl was still embarrassed to have been caught training at all, and she grimaced to herself. If she'd finished up but a few minutes earlier, no one would have known of her lack of confidence in her abilities. Still, it was too late to worry now, and since Kiraya was here, We’nell thought she might as well use the excuse to stop practice a little early. It would be nice to chat with Kiraya.

“Greetings!” She called back with a grin, waving. She unbuckled her riding straps, stuffed her gloves into her pocket and began to approach the other weyrling pair with Vero at her side. It was almost strange how normal Eusabvieth now seemed, We’nell being so accustomed to seeing him that she almost forgot he was the first of his kind ever on Pern. She supposed others must think the same thing about Eustoliath, and indeed her own Veroschkath, but at least those two could be mistaken at first glance for a blue or a brown respectively. Eusabvieth’s uniqueness was immediately apparent, and yet We’nell barely noticed it any more. As they got closer, Vero began to hang back a little, as shy as ever, but We’nell carried on until she was close enough to speak easily with Kiraya.

“You both well? We were just getting some extra practice with firestone.” She explained, trying not to sound self-conscious. “We just finished that though, so don’t let us get in your way if you wanted to do some training to.” In the back of her mind, she wondered if the training Kiraya intended - if that was indeed why she’d come to the arena - could be done together. She might be mentally tired of training with firestone, but there was still some time before dinner and she and Vero both still had the energy for training another technique.

Jail Rose
Candidate
Jail Rose
Candidate

Feb 9 2018, 09:50 AM #4

Kiraya raised an eyebrow when she heard the rider greeting her, Her voice seemed familiar, and all the while when the rider and her jasper dragon flew down from the ledge they stood on to greet them, she squinted her eyes to see if the rider was someone she actually knew.

...We'nell and Veroschkath?

At the sudden realization, her eyes widened, and a smile forms in her face. She approaches the younger girl with a delighted grin, almost as if she and the other female hadn't met again in ages. "Ah, if it isn't the pretty We'nell and her dragon!" She exclaimed, patting her dragon with a wink. You still remember them, don't you, Eusab?

The dragon rolled his eyes and followed his rider to approach the two. Yes, I still do remember them. What do you think I have, a brain that forgets that easily?

Kiraya pouted. Well, it's not denying that your mind seems like one...

N-No it is not!

Ignoring the dragon's protests and turning to We'nell, she nodded as a response to her question. "Yes, yes, we are both very well. Thank you for asking, We'nell." She told the other girl. "And yes, I saw how you did those practices. They were magnificent, and I could tell Vero here is an excellent flier. You must have trained so hard today, am I right?

And me and Eusabvieth did come here to train. Do you perhaps know any first trainings we could use to begin with?"
She scratched her head, face red in embarrassment. "Being a merchant always makes me forget to fight threadfall, so I thought to take merchantry out of my schedule for a while and train here."

Eusabvieth chuckled and slowly walked up to Veroschkath. He knew that the female dragon was a rather shy one, so he had to take it easy and patiently with her. A pleasant smile curved his mouth as he greeted her. So, we meet yet again, Veroschkath. He said to the female dragon. How are you in this fine day?

Elsie
Hatchling
Elsie
Hatchling

Feb 12 2018, 09:53 PM #5

We’nell smiled as Kiraya called out her name, automatically ducking her head as the young woman called her pretty; she never knew quite how to respond to compliments. She came to stand beside Kiraya and her dragon, Vero still hanging back. She continued to keep her eyes averted as Kiraya remarked on her training exercises, but at the mention of Vero’s great flying, We’nell perked up. “Yeah, she’s getting stronger every day.” She agreed with a smile, looking over her shoulder at the jasper; “Can’t believe she wasn’t flying at all a few months ago.”

She scratched her chin when Kiraya asked her to suggest ways to begin extra training. We’nell only knew the training techniques that had been taught to them by Ael’thyristin, the weyrling master, and Kiraya would have been shown those just the same as We’nell had. Perhaps though, Kiraya’s thoughts were not as tuned towards memorising the details of weyrling lessons as We’nell’s was. We’nell knew that Kiraya was a trader of sorts, making money from buying and selling what few luxuries were available on Star Island, and perhaps that occupied more of her mind. Alternatively, perhaps Kiraya had taken the display she’d just seen to mean that We’nell was more creative with training that she really was. Would We’nell look like an idiot if she suggested something Kiraya already knew? Was she, in fact, dramatically over-thinking this?

“Oh, well I s’pose it depends on what sort of skill you wanted to train,” She began, cheerfully, “Did you just want to exercise and build up, like, your physical skills, or did you want to work on Eusabvieth’s flying?” She glanced at the pale dragon. “Usually, if we’re practicing flying, we just start with a few easy laps to warm up and then start whatever it is we’re doing. We need to work on her speed at the moment....” It was all very well and good We’nell getting good at passing Vero firestone, but it was no use if the jasper didn’t have the pace to reach the Thread before it fell past her. “We could try a race?” We’nell suggested to Kiraya with a grin.

Vero, meanwhile, was watching the conversation from the sidelines. When Eusabvieth spoke to her directly, she started. Oh! Umm, I'm fine, thank you. She replied in a small, squeaky voice, unable to quite maintain eye contact with the pearl. Considering Vero’s usual shyness, saying just that much had been a struggle, and had been possible only because she was so familiar with Eusabvieth.

Jail Rose
Candidate
Jail Rose
Candidate

Feb 13 2018, 11:56 AM #6

Kiraya smiled at the other girl as she remarked about her dragon's flying. Vero not flying for a few months before? That surprised Kiraya. "Oh, is that so?" She glanced over at Veroschkath, who was talking to Eusabvieth at the moment. "I do have to agree, though, she flies elegantly. It must have been her flying more properly after a few months of not spreading her wings."

We'nell's answer to her question about what skills to train satisfied her. A smile flashes from her face when she asked if she was wanting to learn some physical skills for herself or if she wanted to train Eusabvieth. "Hmm... I guess you could say both skill categories. I wanted me and my dragon as well to learn something at the same time." She replied to the other girl's question.

Kiraya nodded at every word when We'nell mentioned warm-ups and simple laps to start with. Yes, that could be useful. Of course, Kiraya had no problem flying Eusabvieth at all; she and her white pearl already knew that they were now good with flying and had no problem with it at all, but in situations like threadfall, they had to be very quick. So, she thought in her mind, that they start out slow and steady, then try to pick up the speed.

A sly grin flashes across Kiraya's face at the mention of a race they could try out. "Yes, of course we can do that." She chuckled heartily, liking the idea. "After me and Eusabvieth warm up, maybe we can try it outside the training arena, or simply in here. We could do a few laps together, too. Racing is a pretty good exercise, if yu ask me."

Eusab, on the other hand, was still conversing with the jasper dragon in front of him, sending in soft chuckles at Vero's awkwardness. He had known that she was as shy as a wee little cat, but there was also a good personality behind this shyness. Eusabvieth giggled at her reply about how she was fine. Haven't changed a bit since we last saw each other, Vero. He commented with a grin. Anyways, that is good to hear that you are fine. How about your rider? Is she doing well?

Elsie
Hatchling
Elsie
Hatchling

Feb 13 2018, 09:03 PM #7

We’nell subconsciously grimaced in sympathy when Kiraya said she wished to train both herself and Eusabvieth simultaneously. The best way We’nell knew to do that was through exercises like the one she and Vero had just been practicing, and they were tough. Fortunately, it seemed Kiraya was happy with the idea of racing instead. We’nell perked up as Kiraya agreed to her suggestion, looking forward to it. We’nell was not particularly competitive, so she didn’t get stressed at the idea of a race and could simply enjoy it as a bit of fun.

“Sure. I think Vero would appreciate a chance to give her wings a rest, anyway.” We’nell said with a nod, meaning that Kiraya should go ahead and get a few warm-up laps before they began their race. “But yeah, after that it would be good to go outside to race. Gets a bit cramped in here.” The room had seemed so very large when Ael’thyristin had first brought We’nell and the other weyrlings there to teach their dragons to fly. That had been just a few months ago, but even so, the young dragons had grown so much in the intervening months that it was nosd hard for them to avoid fouling each other’s wings when multiple of them flew in the training arena at once. In a fast-paced race, staying indoors was just asking for a crash. “It’ll be good to see him at top speed; he must be faster now than ever.” She grinned in Eusabvieth’s direction. After all; just as Vero got stronger and faster, her clutch-mates must be too.

Yes, she's- f-fine. Vero stammered back in response to Eusabvieth’s question, still looking down shyly. She very much preferred to sit and listen to conversations, rather than have to contribute herself.

Jail Rose
Candidate
Jail Rose
Candidate

Feb 20 2018, 12:00 PM #8

Kiraya nodded at the comment about how fast her dragon was. "Right. He seems much faster and has improved so much now. Flying around the island seems like a daily exercise for us." She explained. She then winked at the younger girl and did a finger salute. "Well, I guess I'll get to training my dragon here. After we're done, we can start the race." She stated, and with one last wave, she walked up to her dragon, who was still speaking with Wen'ell's Veroschkath.

Eusabvieth chuckled heartily as he observed Veroschkath stutter at her own words. Ah, I see. That's good news. He said, before perking his head to look behind Vero. He saw his rider emerge from behind Vero. Well, I should be going, Vero. Kiraya's still going to train me. He said, before winking one last time at the jasper. He then approached Kiraya with a smile.

Kiraya nodded at him and patted his head. Ready to start training? She asked the pearl. When given approval by the dragon, she moved over to a pile of stones and picked some of the large ones. She smirked at Eusabveith and rode on his back. Well then, Eusabvieth, let's see how fast you can fly in a threadfall.

Once she had said that, Eusabvieth launched himself into the air, flying at quite a speed.

The first thing Kiraya wanted to attempt with her dragon was to try that training Wen'ell had attempted with Vero a while earlier. Eusabvieth flew right, with Kiraya from behind him holding the dragon with an iron grip. She passed the ball while he did his maneouveres, with him trying to get a grip of it with his mouth. He manages to take it from Kiraya's hand, then, with one swift move, turned left to a nearby net so he may place the heavy ball in it.

He shot the ball in the net, but it fell out of it and dropped to the ground. Perhaps the attempt to put it in the net was a failure, but the flying was quite a success. Kiraya then focused on Eusabvieth's landing, so she signalled for the dragon to try to land on the floor smoothly. The dragon complied, diving toward the floor.

Eusabvieth did not retain his balance, though. He landed with a soft thud, feet intact on the ground, and head facing the floor. Kiraya let out a soft chuckle as she unmounted herself from the pearl. She kissed his forehead and patted him, smiling. You're flying was terrific, but we'll have to work on some skills later on. She told him with a soft smile, before standing up to perk her head at We'nell.

"Well, that kinda went well, didn't it?" She called out to her with a soft chuckle. "Just a few failures here and there, but we'll work on it."

Elsie
Hatchling
Elsie
Hatchling

Feb 20 2018, 07:55 PM #9

It was all Vero could do to smile back at Eusabvieth as he departed, the corners of her lips pulling back into something that looked more like a grimace, but at least she tried. We’nell, who was listening to Kiraya, glanced at the two dragons, and sighed to herself at the sight, almost humorous in truth, of the distinctly taller jasper hunched small in front of the smaller pearl. We’nell nodded her agreement to Kiraya, and as the other weyrling pair got ready to begin training, Vero slumped. She was sad, frustrated at her own social paralysis, which improved only at the slowest of paces. We’nell came up to stand beside her and laid a comforting hand on her shoulder, but said nothing. There was no point in chiding Vero, nor on coddling her.

Once Kiraya and Eusabvieth had taken off, We’nell and Vero settled down on the floor of the training area to watch, glad of the chance to fully catch their breath. It seemed that Kiraya was starting with the same exercise We’nell had been practicing. Whether that was because the pearl rider had been inspired by We’nell or just because she also thought she needed to get better at firestone, We’nell couldn't say, but it was interesting to watch someone else carry out the manoeuvre. Usually when they did it as a class, We’nell was too preoccupied with making sure she didn't mess up to pay attention to anyone else. Eusabvieth was faster than before, for all he might not look like the sleekest of dragons, and if they dropped the mock firestone, well, We’nell could hardly judge; she and Vero had done that plenty of times.

She stood as the other pair landed, and Vero pushed herself into a sitting position. “Yeah, that was pretty good!” She agreed with a bright smile, “He really is getting faster. Don't fancy our chances in this race,” Her eyes twinkled with happy amusement and she patted Vero’s shoulder affectionately. “Shall we get going then?” She said to Kiraya, tilting her head towards the exit that would lead them outside.