Something Lost

High above the rocky base of the mountain that houses the Star Island Complex, a signal tower looms. Large enough to hold several even quite massive dragons at its peak, this silent guardian has been dark for turns, but finally the signal light is lit once again, a signal of hope that shines out even during the darkest nights.

Something Lost

Jail Rose
Candidate
Jail Rose
Candidate

Feb 13 2018, 12:29 PM #1

"We have to hurry, Gaivath."

The wingrider Lailie checks every nook and cranny of the Signal Tower, searching for something she had treasured some much. Lailie's green eyes move left and right for anything that would give her clues. Every store cabinet isn't safe from her searching. Lailie groans in frustration at the realization that it wasn't there at all. "Ah, dammit Gaivath," She curses under her breath, exiting the thirteenth room she had searched in. "Where in all Pern did I ever put it?"

Her green dragon Gaivath emerges from out of one of the rooms, her head cocking to the right to stare at her rider. What are you even searching for, Lailie? Gaivath asks, walking up to her frustrated rider. And just how important is this... thing you are trying to find?

"A pendant, Gaivath. A pendant." Lailie grumbles as a reply, stomping over to the stairs. "Somehow I just found it lying on the floor of the shores in the island, and it was a beautiful one. And I promised I would give it to a certain someone when I meet them yet again. And now, I just lost it after three days of keeping it. Seriously, just what is wrong with me and me losing things so easily?"

Gaivath raises an eyebrow at her master's ranting. You know, you aren't usually one to rant about such ridiculous material things this easily. She stated, following her master up the flight of stairs. Their voices echo around the halls of the stairs at this point. If you don't mind me asking, to whom are you to give that pendant to? If you find this pendant, that is.

Her rider remains silent, simply climbing the flight of stairs up to the tip of the tower. A few seconds pass and she finally speaks. "...You'll meet her soon. I'm sure of that." She replies with a quiet voice, as if she doesn't want to talk about it anymore.

Gaivath tilts her head, just standinf next to her rider who simply watches the view from the top of the Signal Tower. She knew Lailie wasn't one to complain about material things, and especially not hiding the identities of people she is talking about. But this time, it is different. Lailie has been acting strange because of this pendant she wanted to give to someone. But the question is: who?

Lailie sighs in exasperation as she turns left. "You must be tired, Gai. You can go home and rest. I'll stay behind and continue to search for the pendant." She said, before finally disappearing into the shadows.

The green remains standing, before she sighs herself and follows her master. You know I won't leave you behind, Lailie. I'm coming with you. She told the rider, who doesn't object and allows her to follow her as she finds the pendant at the very top of the tower.

Ester
Weyrling
Ester
Weyrling

Feb 22 2018, 12:13 AM #2

[color=A37F00]You spend far too much time up here. One day, you will catch a chill and become sick, as the healers warn you, and then what will you do? What will everyone do? You do not represent just yourself, Ariaceli. Not anymore.[/color] Ariaceli kept quite as she stood on Mallitorioth's saddle, straps holding her firmly in place as the pair slowly circled up above the compound, the drafts coming from deep inside the mountain helping to propel Mallitorioth up into the sky with barely a flap of her wings. They were headed to the top of the signal tower, Ariaceli's favorite escape from the work and weary that waited for her back on land. Her voice would have been carried away by the wind rushing around them, so it was mentally that she spoke with her dragon. I brought a coat with me this time, Mal, so don't worry so much. And you know I only spend time up here because I wish we could travel beyond this island. We're stuck here, precisely because I know I don't just represent myself. It was Mallitorioth's turn to be silent for a moment, taking her time. The terse tone of her rider didn't seem to phase her, and the pair both understood that as much as Mal complained, this was necessary. No good would come from Ariaceli burning herself out on the running of the Weyr. These little outings, looking out at the ocean and the wide world they were meant to protect from the highest point kept Ariaceli sane, and Mallitorioth as well. She might have been a dragon, and so the paperwork and organization aspect didn't exactly apply, but she was Ariaceli's tether, keeping her rider and partner tied to the world they now lived in with a sensibility that Ariaceli knew she could never live without anymore. [color=A37F00]We mustn't dither, though. We must be back soon. You have meetings, appointments. There are those coming from Wherry Island to discuss that... whatever it was.[/color] Ariaceli pulled her hide jacket closer around herself, snuggling down into it's heavy warmth, before nodding, although Mallitorioth was not looking at her. Her dragon would know what she meant.

The pair rose up, far higher than the top of the signal tower, letting themselves bask in the frozen air that swirled at that altitude, even at the latitude that Star Island rested. Ariaceli was thankful for her foresight in bringing a jacket. The cold didn't seem to bother Mallitorioth, and the pair spent some time flying circles, high up, around the island they now called home. Ariaceli stood upon the saddle, straps bracing her position. She'd been trained for far more extreme flying than this, and the easy, sweeping curves that Mallitorioth was flying, didn't jostle her a bit. After a time, the gold dragon slowly began to descend, and they circled the top of the signal tower once. It didn't take long for Ariaceli to notice the green dragon who was waiting at the top of the tower, and it was a green that Ariaceli was incredibly familiar with. Gaivath! Mal! That means Lailie! Mallitorioth hummed happily, enjoying the excitement her rider was feeling at the sight of her older sister's dragon. Although the two hadn't always been close, Ariaceli did enjoy the time she managed to spend with her elder sister, and although her schedule precluded her from spending as much time as she'd like with Lailie, these little surprise meetings were always nice. [color=A37F00]Yes. I can see that.[/color] Mallitorioth approached the edge of the platform, wings swiveling heavily to allow her to, for the briefest moment, to hover, as she landed. The platform shook slightly, but it swayed in the wind anyway. From her position on Mallitorioth's back, Ariaceli tried to catch a glimpse of her sister, and waved, in case she had missed her and Lailie could see her. It wasn't as if Mallitorioth wasn't immediately recognizable, and no one else would have been on her back unless it had been an emergency. Mallitorioth looked over at Gaivath, her croon of a hello getting a little louder. [color=A37F00]Gaivath, it is good to see you. I hope you are well. My rider is very excited to see yours. She regrets her lack of free time that would allow them more time together, although she understands that you and yours are also equally as busy.[/color]

Ariaceli quickly undid the buckles on the straps that held her in place on Mallitorioth's back, and the gold kneeled down easily to allow her rider to descend. Although she usually was inclined to sensible if attractive dresses, she'd opted for pants. Flying needed pants. This meant it was easy enough to clamber off of Mallitorioth's saddle, the clips and rungs used to attach bags of firestone hanging empty, as this was no threadfall run. Although Mal didn't chew the stone herself, Ariaceli and Mallitorioth could carry an extraordinary amount of the heavy material and would restore the depleted stock of other dragons during a fall. Now, those clips just helped Ariaceli descend safely off of the height and landed with a small thud on the floor, her weight not nearly enough to shake the tower the way her dragon's bulk had. The pair entered under the roofed section of the tower together, Ariaceli reclipping the now dangling buckles to other parts of the harness she wore under the heavy hide jacket. Once inside, Ariaceli return to looking for her sister, giving a happy wave to Gaivath. She still remembered when the green had hatched, and that night held wonderful memories for Ariaceli. It was because of Gaivath that Ariaceli had, indirectly of course, impressed Mallitorioth, and the Weyrwoman held a great amount of affection for the green. "Gaivath, where is Lai- Oh! Lailie!" Ariaceli had spotted her elder sister, and broke into a trot, heading over to see what her sister was doing as Mallitorioth settled a little way away from Gaivath, the gold turning her attention away from her rider and toward the older green who was a little way away. [color=A37F00]I do hope we find you well, Gaivath. How are you?[/color] Even if their riders had not been family, which, for dragons, was an odd concept it was true, Mallitorioth would have spoken to the green. She might have been an odd gold when it came to her personality, but she was still a gold. She cared. In her own way, she cared. Ariaceli, for her part, was bouncing like a child, and her hair, tucked behind her ears in a tight braid to keep it neat while she flew, as she came up to her sister, a grin spread across her face.