Plastic Bottles Crack Too

Level 1

Everything the complex needs to run is located in the storerooms, including all the dehydrated food, air scrubbers, repair equipment and the rest. Candidates must often go in and help catalogue everything in the room.

Plastic Bottles Crack Too

Europae
Candidate
Europae
Candidate

Feb 13 2018, 08:07 PM #1

There were tasks for apprentices and there were tasks for journeymen, but sometimes journeymen did the tasks of apprentices. It didn't happen the other way around of course, but sometimes Ottillya wished it did. The apprentices had been busy, and she'd had to go fetch jars and bottled numbweed for them to continue their menial work. She didn't miss the repetitive work of new apprentices, so she had been less than reluctant to go get their supplies for them. She was taking her time, enjoying being alone in the near-empty storeroom because it gave her a bit of time to be alone and make sure that dragons weren't around. There was a loud noise from another side of the store room and Ottillya jumped, dropping several bottles of numbweed which cracked and started to ooze across the floor. She let out a groan and set the other bottles down, scurrying off to try and find something to clean the numbweed up before she continued back out into the hustle and bustle of the rest of the compound.

Laedya
Candidate
Laedya
Candidate

Feb 14 2018, 02:27 PM #2

Cael knew he wasn't probably actually supposed to be down here in the storerooms outside of candidate chores, but the last time he'd been down here he had seen some good reinforced leather he could use to make a new harness for Nyeja with. And since it did not seem like there were many leatherworkers at the Island yet, if there were any at all, the small amount he would take wouldn't be missed and he could eventually replace it, once they were taken off site to go hunting, which he had been promised would probably start once the current Unfrozen clutch hatched and more meat was needed for growing dragonets. Lost in his own train of thought, Cael's hands slipped as they ran through the various pieces of leather, hitting a larger bowl filled to the brim with buckles and buttons, probably for use in making shirts or belts and the like. He couldn't leash or hold back the curse that flew from his lips as he watched the entire thing spill to the floor, the bowl cracking deeply on one side and of course the contents trickle out. "Sorry!" He yelled out, hoping no one was down here to see his folly but knowing he probably scared the life out of anyone who was, before falling to his knees and starting the arduous clean up process, grumbling under his breath.
Candidate, Beastcrafter Caelixstyn
Beastcrafter Caelynnfer

Europae
Candidate
Europae
Candidate

Feb 14 2018, 02:38 PM #3

When Ottyllia heard the shouted "Sorry", she felt slightly better. It meant it had been a person who had knocked over something and that the large noise was nothing but an accident. That made it way less scary. The healer instinct in Tilly kicked in shortly after, and she began to worry that whoever had said sorry had hurt themselves. She came back and threw a piece of cloth over the numbweed to soak it up, and hurried off to find the person who may or may not have been hurt. She eventually rounded a corner and came upon a guy who was crouched down over a bowl and a lot of weird looking metal parts that Tilly realized were belt buckles and other things for tanners. "You alright? I heard a crash." It was best to forget about the numbweed for now.

Laedya
Candidate
Laedya
Candidate

Feb 14 2018, 04:01 PM #4

Cael winced when he heard footsteps coming up, a little quicker than average for someone just walking, and looked up to see a pretty, freckled young woman standing close by with a worried expression on her face, and she immediately asked him if he was alright. With a sheepish look on his face he stood up with belt buckles in one hand and the original pot in the other and faced the other person, who looked like a candidate. Or at least he thought he'd maybe seen her around before, down in the barracks. "Yes, I'm fine, except for my pride. I didn't even think to make sure there wasn't something around I could knock over, and I'm usually not this clumsy" the tall Beastcrafter told the female, relaxing his expression into an easy going smile before gesturing at the floor again. "It'll take me awhile to get this all cleaned up, but at least nothing got broke. I am sincerely sorry if the noise bothered you. Are you alright?"
Beastcrafter Caelynnfer

Europae
Candidate
Europae
Candidate

Feb 14 2018, 05:37 PM #5

The actual height of her sudden companion caught Tilly off guard, and she simply blinked at him for a moment. He was also very attractive, and when he smiled at her, Tilly felt her cheeks turn hot, but she hoped that her blush wasn't too obvious. "No, no. I'm fine. Broke a few bottles of numbweed, but I was going to make the apprentices make more anyway."

Tilly wallowed and inspected the other candidate more closely. She might have seen him once or twice before but clearly hadn't been paying attention because she found him very handsome.

"Just need to clean up the numbweed. Do- do you need help? Numbweed won't take long so I don't mind." Tilly managed a slight smile in return, although it felt awkward on her face and she quickly let it fade away when she felt as though he understood that she was fine and was alright with helping him. It meant more time away from the bustle of the infirmary, and although Tilly felt weird because she was so very attracted to him, if she didn't look at him too much, and focused on a task, she might be able to escape without embarrassing herself too much.

Laedya
Candidate
Laedya
Candidate

Feb 15 2018, 03:53 PM #6

He knew his height was intimidating to some, but Cael tried to smile even more and look as unintimidating as possible to the young woman standing in front of him. Of course he was standing in a dark corridor and in a shadowy spot where the glows didn't quite reach and there had just been that terrible crashing sound he'd caused, but hopefully he wouldn't just scare her into running away. That was when he caught the faint blush on her cheeks and relaxed inwardly. If she found him attractive she was way less likely to go running back up the paths screaming her head off at the strange creeper down in the storerooms. "Sorry for that, I really didn't know anyone else was down here, though that is no excuse for not being more careful."

Tilting his head to the side in a sort of canine-ish fashion, which he knew made him look even cuter than he normally did (which is of course why he did it in the first place), Cael took the invite and decided to run with it. The young woman was cute enough, though in general he wasn't attracted to the female form, but it never hurt to flirt a little, in Cael's excellent opinion. "Only if you want to and do not mind! And I would be more than happy to help with your own clean up as well, especially since I caused it."

Cael jolted a little before looking a little embarrassed. "Shards, my sister would have my hide if she knew I was being so rude. I am Caelixstyn, most people just call me Cael. And I am a candidate, and Beastcrafter. It would be my honor and privilege if I could learn the name of my lovely companion."
Beastcrafter Caelynnfer

Europae
Candidate
Europae
Candidate

Feb 15 2018, 11:32 PM #7

"Oh. I'm Ottyllia. My family calls me... called me Tilly. I'm a candidate too, and a healer." Tilly's voice was rather halting and awkward. When she was in charge of others, she could be confident because she knew what she was doing and that she could take care of everything. When she was in a situation like this, she wasn't good at figuring out what she needed to do. She nodded to agree to Cael's offer to help her clean up the numbweed. It was such nasty stuff, and any help was always nice. To cover her awkwardness, she knelt down and began to brush the buckles to the center of the isle so they'd be easier to scoop into the bowl once more.

"You're a beast crafter? Do you have any pets?" Tilly missed her canine in the worst way, and it seemed like a decent conversation starter. She loved hearing about other people's pets because although it brought up sad memories of when she'd lost her companion, she also had happy memories of her companion as well. Before she could continue, a sharp bit on one of the buckles caught her finger and pierced it slightly, causing her to cry out and withdraw her hand, sucking on the injured finger even though the cut was no larger than a pinprick.

Laedya
Candidate
Laedya
Candidate

Feb 22 2018, 02:55 AM #8

"A candidate, and a Healer! No wonder you were working with numbweed then. Nasty stuff if you aren't used to messing with it. Reminds me of the time I accidentally licked my hand after putting some bandages on a hound of mine. My tongue was numb for a sevenday, I swear!" Cael said, laughing at himself, hoping by sharing the story he would get Tilly to relax more. She was a cute girl, and obviously used to doing her own thing and she seemed like she could be a great person to talk to if she'd just relax a little around him. He needed friends, after all.

Bending down, Cael held out the bowl with one hand and began scooping up the belt buckles Tilly was piling up for him with the other, the work going much quicker with two people instead of one. Then Tilly asked about if he had any pets, and Cael instantly was beaming at her again, eagerly jumping into talking about his beloved canine. "Yep! I have the absolutely most beautiful and well trained hound a man could ask for. Her name is Nyeja, and she is a scouting hound, and she can spot a sleeping firelizard at five hundred paces, I swear!" So maybe he was exageratting a little, what did that matter? Even if she wasn't here with him right this second, Nyeja deserved every last bit of praise he could heap on her furry black shoulders.

"She actually was what helped me survive Thread. She alerted me before anything else that something wierd was going on and we were able to get somewhere safe before it came down..." Cael got a serious look on his face and swept up the last of the buckles, grabbed one to keep for himself, then put the fuill bowl back up on the shelf. "And she kept me sane on the way back. If I hadn't had her as a companion I might have gone crazy, trying to get back home to my sister." He shook himself and grinned. "Of course some people would say I am crazy anyway! I came down here to get leather for a new harness for her. Anyway, on to that numbweed? We should be able to get it cleaned up pretty quickly, working together!"
Beastcrafter Caelynnfer

Europae
Candidate
Europae
Candidate

Feb 22 2018, 03:05 AM #9

Tilly was blinking in surprise at how quickly Cael was talking. He could talk a lot! She wasn't used to that. Usually people were scared of her because she frowned a lot and could be very stern with them, but that didn't seem to put Cael off at all. She took her finger out of her mouth. The bleeding had stopped and although her mouth tasted a bit like blood, it wasn't too bad.

"You shouldn't lick your fingers after using numbweed! That could be dangerous!" Her heart skipped a beat at the mention of a canine. She missed hers, badly. But there was nothing to be done. Her brother was still alive, and although she'd lost her very best friend in the world, at least one person of hers had survived that she knew about. That was more than most people could say.

"I had a canine too. Lost her at the second thread fall. We got caught out and she got us to safety, but she didn't quite make it. I really miss her a lot. I'm glad some people got to keep their pets, though. That's wonderful." Tilly shook her fingers, and no more blood came out of it, so she nodded as she stood up. Any help with numbweed would be great.

"I'll get us some gloves before we set to work, that way we won't make too much of a mess and we'll be sure not to get our hands all numb, like your tongue was." That was a joke, and it sounded very odd coming from Tilly, but she managed a small smile and gestured for Cael to follow her.

Laedya
Candidate
Laedya
Candidate

Feb 23 2018, 02:53 AM #10

Cael was pretty oblivious at some points, so he didn't really see that he might be coming across as a little overwhelming to the stern faced Healer, and he just laughed a little when she scolded him, lightly, for putting his numbweed coated fingers in his mouth back in his past. "Yea, I learned my lesson real well after that. No more numbweed anywhere near my mouth, and a thorough washing any time I used it. I was younger, and dumber, then than I am now which I'll say is my only excuse."

There was a pang in his chest when he heard Tilly talk about her canine, which she'd lost in the Threadfall. He could only imagine how he would have felt if he'd lost Nyeja, sort of like losing a limb if he was being completely honest with himself. The canine was more useful than most people, to him, and as a Beastcrafter he knew better than a lot of people how much of a companion a canine could be and how much it would hurt to lose one. "I am sorry to hear that... No one should ever have to go through such a loss, but its sadly a story I have heard over and over again. But at least you had some time with her, no matter how short" Cael would have offered a hug or some other form of comfort if he knew Tilly any better than he did, but he didn't know how well she'd appreciate it so he played it safe. "And I think they only let me keep Nyeja because I am a Hunter, and she helps me, so she's useful as more than just a pet."

A real laugh escaped Cael without hesitation as he took the joke on himself and followed Tilly down the hall. "Hey now, surely there is some use for a numb tongue! I've even heard some people pierce their tongue, as weird as that sounds, so maybe a little bit of numbweed would help with that? But I'll agree with the gloves right now. I don't want to look like that much of an idiot here in front of riders. Can you actually believe it? Still seems like a dream to me... Dragons!" Cael gestured widely and shook his head, still in disbelief.
Beastcrafter Caelynnfer

Europae
Candidate
Europae
Candidate

Feb 23 2018, 03:38 AM #11

"Dragons are.... well.." Tilly found dragons really scary. They were big, and she'd never seen anything like them before. Of Course she wasn't the only one, but they were just so unusual and intimidating. She had been told some were kind and sweet, but she wasn't so sure about all of that. She shrugged and made a small noise. She had hoped she'd get used to them, and she could be around them without shaking now, so that was something like an improvement. It wasn't far to the numbweed, all things told, so it didn't take them too long.

"Dragons are interesting, and no, I can't quite believe it. But I rode on one's back from Wherry Island with my younger brother, and so I can't really say I don't believe it either? If that makes sense?" Cael was surprisingly easy to talk to, and Tilly found herself enjoying his company and not just because he was very handsome. He seemed nice, and kinda normal, which was something she hadn't come across a lot here. When they came to the shattered numbweed, Tilly carefully walked around it and grabbed some rubber gloves off of the shelf and brought them over to Cael.

"If these don't fit, let me know and I can get you a different size. I'm sorry there's so much. And the sharp plastic. At least it wasn't glass. That would have been really nasty."