Late Night Musings and Cookies

Level 1

All the candidates Called by AIVAS are reserved room in these quarters. Though small, each candidate has their own individual room, with each trio of rooms sharing a small bathroom and sitting area.

Late Night Musings and Cookies

Rattle the Stars
Candidate

Feb 24 2018, 09:37 PM #1

(This is open for all candidates/siblings of candidates, and is meant not only as a chance for them to get together in the night before the Hatching, but also to get in your last post counts for them. While not necessary, it might be helpful to keep posts on the shorter, and please use Bold tags when tagging a specific person(s)!)

Yuyukima knew she was not the best cook, had never been and would never be, but as she looked down at the large plate of cookies she had made (only a few burnt in some very small places), and the meat rolls and fish cakes she had scrounged from the kitchens by taking on extra cleaning shifts, she felt very proud of herself. There was enough here to feed a greater number than there actually were candidates, but she also knew there were a few bottomless pits aka growing teen boys and she would rather have too much than not enough food, if her plan was to succeed.

Like many of the candidates, Yu had been too busy lately to make friends among the rest of the candidates, but since the Touching she had felt the need fo reach out and connect. So many of them had faced extreme trauma and loss to get to this point, so a night if relaxation before they were hit with the rrality of the world again couldn't hurt, right?

Breathing in a huge bresth and holding it for a second to calm her nerves, Yu then went to the corridors and cupped her hands around her mouth before yelling in an echoing voice down the hallways. "Food for any candidates who want to come and relax for a while in the main hall! If anyone wants to have some fun, let's do it!"

Kelsin
Candidate
Kelsin
Candidate

Feb 25 2018, 01:27 AM #2

Aletan, for the most part, had been mostly concerned with getting his remaining family settled in, and keeping up with the demands of being a candidate. While he didn't think it was as difficult as learning how to be a good smith, it allowed him to stand and possibly impress, which meant that it was important that he did well.

The general consensus of the people he'd seen lately was that the eggs were due to hatch any day now, and most of his fellow candidates seemed to be fairly buzzing with excitement. Al hadn't really been nervous, rather he'd been reasonably excited for the most part, and the touching had heightened that excitement, even if some of the eggs' responses had been less than welcoming.

Yu's offer of food and relaxation, broke through his reverie, and he decided to go grab a bite to eat. Besides, it'd be good to get to know the rest of candidates better. If he Impressed, they'd be weyrlings together for at least a couple of turns. And if not, he'd be a candidate with them for the next hatching.

"Hello Yu! Thanks for putting this together. Anything I can help with?"

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

Feb 25 2018, 11:11 PM #3

Vatoz had very little interest in the other canidates, but with hatching soon to happen, he knew that it would be better for him to spend time around a group rather than holed up in his room. Besides, maybe it would even be fun.

He headed down to the main hall, looking at the food laid out. She had done a good job scrounging all of that.

"Do we have any drinks?" He asked, smiling at the two that had already arrived. "If not, I can run and get us some." Water, klah, fruit juice. Nothing alcoholic, not until after the hatching. And not even then if they impress.

Rattle the Stars
Candidate

Feb 26 2018, 03:50 AM #4

Yu turned her head up and smiled brightly and turned to face the first candidate that wandered up, asking if there was anything to help with. "I... do not think so? I brought all the food I could, but I did not think to decorate anything. Really, I was just lazy and did not want to have to take anything down afterwards! You already know my name, but I do not think I know yours?" She held out her hand to Aletan, wanting to make a new friend.

Another candidate showed up and Yu hit her forehead with the palm of her hand when she realized, thanks to Vatoz, ecaxtly what she had forgotten. "I got all the food but I totally forgot about drinks... you would be such a life saver if you could get us anything!" She told the second male candidate, batting her eyes cutely at him to make herself look innocent and less at fault for her own forgetfulness.

ShadowReine
Candidate
ShadowReine
Candidate

Feb 26 2018, 04:07 AM #5

--- Tobas ---

Tobas was not nervous. He was not nervous because he was not going to Impress.

There were others who wanted it more, after all, and the dragonets had to know that, had to be able to sense who really wanted to Impress and who was just there because...

...well, because he owed it to the dragons. So that if there was one for him, he or she wouldn't die.

"Party?" he asked, and then glanced at Yu and Vatoz. "I can help get drinks. It's going to take more than one person."

Although there were not that many Candidates...there were enough.

--- Kaletha ---

A tiny glidelizard head poked out of Kaletha's shirt as she breezed into the common room.

Eggs.

Dragonets.

Soon.

She was trying not to get too excited - she had, after all, been left Standing once, and she knew there were no guarantees.

And she would not...well.

She would be happy with whatever dragon picked her. She knew that regardless of any expressed preferences, the weyrlings were all happy. So this batch would be too. "Anything I can do?" she offered.

Bouncer woke up and chirped, synchronized with the do, and she tried not to giggle. Much.

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

Feb 26 2018, 04:39 AM #6

Answering Yu, Tobas

"It's no problem," Vatoz answered."You've done a great job with the snacks." He turned to leave when Tobas spoke up, offering to help. It probably wouldn't hurt, and with a second pair of hands, he wouldn't have to risk putting anything in his bag and have it spill.

"That would be great," he answered to Tobas. "I'm thinking water, klah, and fruit juice." It was a party after all. "We also better grab some cups."

There would be dishes to do when they were done, but what was another bit of chores.

Kelsin
Candidate
Kelsin
Candidate

Feb 26 2018, 04:55 AM #7

"Hi, I'm Aletan" he replied, shaking her hand. "It was really nice of you to put this together" he added, smiling. "I wouldn't worry about not decorating, everything is great as it is. I can help clean up afterwards if you like, should go faster with more hands helping." he added.

Al nodded a greeting as Vatoz, Tobas, and Kaletha entered. Aside from Vatoz, he hadn't had a chance to speak to the other candidates much. He'd been pretty busy with lessons, chores, and doing the odd bits of work in the smithy when he could. He certainly appreciated the chance to get to know people, rather than being buried in his work.

Rattle the Stars
Candidate

Feb 26 2018, 05:04 AM #8

"Nice to meet you Aletan!" Yu said in reply to the one candidate, before clapping her hands in front of herself before bowing gratefully for the two male candidates who offered to go and get drinks. "A couple extra shifts and the kitchen workers were happy to give me some extras and leftovers. I may have snuck a few more sweet rolls than they thought, but it won't hurt anyone. Well, I know at least one older man who keeps sneaking them for himself, but he doesn't need all of them, I think." Yu laughed.

She heard a sudden chirp and Yu turned her head to see the first other girl candidate that had arrived, complete with a freshly hatched Glidelizard. While she had heard that several clutches had hatched, Yu had thought she would be too busy with everything going on to try and Impress a pet, but seeing the cute little thing she regretted it. "It is so cute! Hi, I am Yu! What is yoirs and this guy's names? Do you need or want any food for him? Aletan, come look at the cutie!"

ShadowReine
Candidate
ShadowReine
Candidate

Feb 26 2018, 05:07 AM #9

--- Tobas ---

Tobas nodded to Vatoz. "Let's go, then."

He started to head towards chores. The party was clearly a good idea - it was a wonder some of the Candidates had finger nails left. He was not a biter himself, mind. He showed nerves in other ways - and right now he really wasn't that nervous.

Maybe he should be...

--- Kaletha ---

Kaletha smiled at Yu. "I'm Kaletha, and this is Bouncer, which he'll no doubt live up to when he wakes all the way up."

She looked around for... "He needs to eat too."

Like all baby draconics, the glidelizard had quite the appetite.

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

Feb 26 2018, 06:05 AM #10

Vatoz smiled, following the other candidate. They all knew where to get drinks at this point, and while some things were limited, there was more than enough things to drink.

"Are you looking forward to the hatching?" It seemed like most of the candidates were, and he hadn't found another that shared his hesitancy about impressing.

ShadowReine
Candidate
ShadowReine
Candidate

Feb 26 2018, 07:05 PM #11

Tobas considered. "Not really. I'm not going to risk a dragon meant for me going Between, but I'm not entirely sold on being a rider."

He was willing to make that honest admission as there was only one guy with him - Vatoz seemed very sure of himself, but Tobas had met enough people with whom that was nothing more than a mask.

"But without dragons we're all dead."

Oh, this place might last longer, but...

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

Feb 26 2018, 07:54 PM #12

He wasn't the only one. "That's kind of why I'm standing too," he admitted back. "I figure if a dragon doesn't chose me this time, I'm going to resign from being a candidate."

He shrugged, and then looked around, making sure it was just the two of them. "I'm not sure that even with the dragons, we're not." Pern was so big, and there were so few of them. Even with the eggs, all 17 of them, that still made only about 60 dragons, and it'd be at least a turn and a half before they could fight thread. The older weyrlings were almost there, but there were only six of them.

If they could hold on until more dragons were born, and grown, maybe it would be alright, but that took time, and the frozen queen hadn't even risen yet.

ShadowReine
Candidate
ShadowReine
Candidate

Feb 26 2018, 08:20 PM #13

"Neither am I, but we have to fight. We have to try..." Tobas just didn't want to have to be the one fighting or trying.

He was scared. He was a coward and he knew it, but...he wasn't going to resign from candidacy. "Seventeen eggs...hopefully they will all Hatch and we will get seventeen more dragons."

Seventeen more wings in the sky, but what did they do...Vatoz was right, they needed...something...to help them stay alive. Of course, that was what the complex was for. Underground. They could hide, they could preserve, and then they could expand as the dragons protected land...

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

Feb 26 2018, 10:48 PM #14

"Yeah." There was little more to say about that, things would proceed as they would, and they were really just along for the ride.

"Maybe even eighteen," he added. "There might be another egg with pearls in it." He wasn't sure how often the new colors might happen, but these eggs had been through the same thing that the first group had been, so it wasn't unlikely that they would share the same mutations.

He continued down the hall until they reached the kitchen area. "You want to fill up one of the water skins while I gather up some cups?"

ShadowReine
Candidate
ShadowReine
Candidate

Feb 26 2018, 11:26 PM #15

"Maybe, or they could have been a one off."

Tobas considered. "I also heard there were twins in the firelizard clutch, but one of them was sickly, so I hope that doesn't happen."

The worst case scenario would be somebody Impressing to a dragonet that then died.

And it could happen...far too easily.