Kitchen Chores

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

2:31 AM - Feb 03, 2018 #1

Vatoz, Journeyman Healer/Candidate

When Vatoz arrived at the kitchens, to do the chores that were required of him as a candidate, he was ushered to a table that was filled with vegetables that needed to be peeled, and then sliced. It was an easy enough chore, if a bit tedious, and he was looking forward to the other candidates showing up.

He was hoping that they'd be friendly, and possibly, if they were some of the other journeyman candidates, mabye they could gripe togethe about being treated more like littles than respectable members of society. He understood that the brown rider was used to candidates skewing younger, but he just couldn't see why they were being made to waste time doing junk like this. It was kind of frustrating.

He sat down, and began to peel a tuber. He presumed that chores were assigned to teach the candidates responsibility, to show up on time, and he could respect that. He just didn't know that it was necessary for them. Especially not with eggs on the sands.

Lessons were one thing, but he had never been very patient with make work.

Kelsin
Candidate
Kelsin
Candidate

1:51 AM - Feb 22, 2018 #2

Aletan - Journeyman Smith/Candiate

Al was still adjusting to life as a candidate, the chores, roommates, and otherwise feeling like an apprentice again, had been something to get used to. This week's rotation of chores placed him in the kitchens, which wasn't the worst job to have at least.

Seeing another candidate already at work, Al pulled out a chair and took a seat, sighing as he sat. "Hi, Vatoz, right?" He'd been trying to get all of his fellow candidate's names memorized. Seemed better than trying to guess their names when he'd be with them for at least the next two turns or more if they impressed.

Knife in hand, he began peeling and chopping then nearest vegetable, his hands moving quickly and confidently. He'd spent a lot of time with his mother in their kitchen, who'd had no qualms about making her boys spend just as much time doing kitchen chores as his sisters. "How's your day been?"

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

2:21 AM - Feb 22, 2018 #3

He continued to work, his cuts precise, and he smiled at the other candidate when they came in. The work would go faster with another candidate here to help.

"That's right, and you're Aletan?" He thought he recognized the other journeyman from candidate classes, but he wasn't so sure that he had the name right. There were a lot of people with A names as candidates. Aletan, Aidan, Allana, and he was pretty sure there were a couple others as well.

"Eh, it's been alright." All of the days kind of blended together, from lessons, to chores, to more lessons, and there hadn't been anything to really stand out. "A bit frustrating, if anything."He didn't mind helping in the kitchen, but there was so much more that he could be doing. Making medicines, working on patients, anything but apprentice chores. "How's yours been?"

Kelsin
Candidate
Kelsin
Candidate

3:37 AM - Feb 22, 2018 #4

"That's me" he responded with a grin, as he settled into a rhythm, chopping and putting them into neat piles. Relieved that he'd gotten the name right, the smith listened as Vatoz continued to speak.

"Understandable, seems like there's too much to do in the day sometimes, both things you want to do, and the things you have to do." Work didn't bother Al, after all someone had to do it. Sometimes it wasn't pleasant, but it went faster with others working on it too.

"Hasn't been too bad, chores, lessons, the usual" he replied. "I've had a bit of time in the smithy making a couple of things here and there, but no personal projects." He hadn't known what to expect, balancing his craft with candidacy, but he was managing. "Though I wouldn't mind a little less busywork."

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

4:04 AM - Feb 22, 2018 #5

Vatoz nodded. "I know the feeling. I get why they want us to do chores and stuff, I'm pretty sure it's to teach responsibility towards the, well, it would have been weyr back where the riders came from, and to keep the candidates out of trouble, but half of us are journeymen." He grinned wryly. "If we haven't learned to stay out of trouble and how to be responsible, maybe there's a bigger problem."

He shrugged. "It's not like there aren't enough people to work." With all the refugees coming to Star Island and Wherry Island, there were probably enough trained people that they didn't actually need the candidates for vegetable peeling. "I don't mind doing things like this, I'd just like more time to work in the Infirmary."

He peeled another potato, and then began to cut it. "How do you feel about having to possibly give up your craft if you impress?" That had been bugging him since the lesson. "I don't know that it's an exchange that I can do."

Kelsin
Candidate
Kelsin
Candidate

4:19 AM - Feb 22, 2018 #6

"Mm. It'd be nice if they could do some sort of tiered list of chores. Save the 'responsibility building chores' for the younger candidates, and allow the older candidates and journeymen split their chores between less busywork-like chores and their craft" A quick grin crossed his face before continuing. "True, there's nothing like the possibility of loosing a limb in the smithy to drive home responsibility."

He continued to work as he took a moment to think about the healer's question, wanting to give it the attention it deserved. "It's a tough question, and the idea of giving up my craft is sort of terrifying. In the end, I want to be of service. I want to help people. And with thread falling, if there aren't riders and dragons to take care of it, I won't have a place to practice my craft. I've seen what thread can do, and it terrifies me more than giving up my craft" he shrugged his shoulders before continuing to speak.

"I hope that at least once we're out of weyrling training, we'll be able to do some work in our crafts, but I guess I'll have to see if the trade is worth it if I impress." Glancing at Vatoz curiously, he added "If you were able to continue to work as someone who heals dragons, would you be interested in learning how?" He'd thought he'd read somewhere about dragonhealing, but couldn't remember exactly.

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

2:05 AM - Feb 26, 2018 #7

"That's not a half bad idea." It was too late to suggest that for this group of candidates, with the eggs laid and the hecticness of trying to get in everything that they needed to know, but perhaps for the next group.

The other mans answer was well thought out, and gave him a few new things to think about. He wasn't sure that it was the best decision to put all of their hopes on the dragonriders, there were just so few of them, but what better choice did they have? "Yeah." It'd probably be more likely for weavercrafters and tanners, but he'd like it for everyone.

"I suppose that'll depend on how often thread falls," he answered. It wasn't falling regularly yet, but this was also just the beginning of the pass. It should start to fall heavier, and Pern was pretty big. There was no way they'd be able to protect it all, but at the same time, there might still be survivors that needed to be found.

"If I impress, I can't see another path for me," Vatoz responded. "I know there'll be injuries, and they need to be treated just like anybody else." He hadn't really thought about to much, but now that he had said it out loud, knew that was right. "Do you think any of the frozen are dragonhealers?"

Kelsin
Candidate
Kelsin
Candidate

3:11 AM - Feb 26, 2018 #8

"Mm. I suppose there has to be some way of keeping track of how often thread falls. I mean, it can't always be unpredictable, can it?" Briefly, he wondered if AIVAS and their leadership would share that particular information, or if they'd get a simplified version of it, so as to not worry the remaining population. Al wanted to think that they'd be honest, but knew that sometimes folks would withhold information thinking it would help in the long run.

"Seems a good way to use your skills going forward" he replied, hoping that the other journeyman would find a place that he was comfortable in post impression.

"I'd imagine that they would be, seems like freezing some dragonhealers to wake later would make a lot of sense. Assuming any of them wanted to take that option." He hoped that was the case, the smith couldn't imagine something happening to one of the hatchlings during the hatching, and not having someone on hand with firsthand knowledge to help them.

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

3:20 AM - Feb 26, 2018 #9

"I thought that there used to be charts, but maybe they're still at the weyrs?" He wasn't sure how readable they might be, or if maybe the riders had brought them with them, but there had to be a way. "A starcrafter would probably know the best way." Thread came from the skies, and that was what they focused on.

He nodded. "You'd think so. Maybe I could ask the candidate master, he should know." Even if they weren't an official healer, there had to be one of the riders who at least knew the basics. Hopefully more. He hadn't really thought about that.

He sliced up another vegetable, noticing that they were making good progress. "So, on a more cheerful note, have you thought about what kind of dragon you might impress?"

Kelsin
Candidate
Kelsin
Candidate

5:30 AM - Feb 26, 2018 #10

"Seems like they would've brought something with them. Or AIVAS hopefully has the information." He hadn't thought to much of the starcrafters prior to thread falling, but he imagined they'd be getting a lot more attention these days.

"Sounds like a good idea, I can't imagine they won't be looking for people to learn the needed skills." he replied. As he continued to chop vegetables, he smiled at his next question. "Brown maybe? Can't say I haven't thought about ending up with a bronze, or similar ranked dragon, but on the other hand, I'd be surprised. How about you? Any idea of what'd you like to impress?"

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

1:06 AM - Feb 27, 2018 #11

As candidates, they weren't really informed of the workings of the higher ranks, and they just had to trust that things were under control. Hopefully they were.

"Browns are nice," he answered. "Maybe blue. Maybe bronze." Any color really. "I don't know that I have a preference. They're all important." Each dragon had a part to play, and he hadn't really interacted with them enough to have picked a favorite. Maybe if he had been born when dragons had been plentiful, where he could have seen them everyday, he might have had a favorite, but now? Not really.

"Just want them all to be healthy."