Currently Calm; Open

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

Jan 27 2018, 07:05 PM #1

Vatoz, Journeyman Healer/Candidate

Even though he had been chosen as a candidate, Vatoz was still a healer first, and had noticed that some of the candidates had chapped lips. This was something that he could fix, even with the limited supplies available, and would prevent bigger issues later on.

It also gave him something to do while he was on call.

He set a pot filled with tallow on the burner, setting it to low. It needed to melt before he could do anything else, and he busied himself with cleaning up the mess while he waited. He wouldn't want anyone to come in with a mess on a table, it would make him look unprofessional, especially since the only patient in here was asleep in the back. He needed to at least look ready if someone came in that needed something, and if he was being honest with himself. he kind of hoped someone would.

It could get a little boring just being around the infirmary on his own.

Jail Rose
Candidate
Jail Rose
Candidate

Jan 27 2018, 10:55 PM #2

Ah, so this is the infirmary...

Eijo'vikos thought to himself as he scanned the interior walls of the mentioned facility. He remembered this place; this was the very building where he helped treat those who were injured because of the thread. It was simply a fading memory, out the back of his mind, but once he saw the place he suddenly remembered the pained faces of the people he once treated. Someone even offered go treat him, too, after having discovered a small wound that would surely grow larger.

Wh-What should I do...? Should I just... walk in? he thought. A sudden gust of wind and a loud thump almost made him yelp in surprise. He turned his head to see Daegnyth, grinning at him as if he was reading his mind. Master, I think you should enter. Shouldn't be bad to interact with others, right? And look, they're healers just like you! You might be able to coverse a thing or two.

Eijo'vikos raised an eyebrow. "Wait... how did you...?" He didn't finish his sentence, instead shrugging it off. "Uh... it seems there are candidates here, so... I think it's best if you stay here. That is unless I call for you to help me." He told the dragon, who pouted, as he wanted to go with his master. But, knowing that he would be a burden for his master to finally get a chance to talk, he nodded in obedience and sat next to the door, hidden from the eyes of those who were in the room.

The 19-year old man took a deep breath, before opening the door. He looked around once again; there he saw multiple beds set against the walls, and medicinal materials line the top of the shelves. There may be more inside those shelves too. Now that proves quite useful, he thought, finally entering the room.

...and, there was another man.

Now this was a problem. Eijo'vikos has always been shy around men; the moment he saw the other male, he started sweating, and he rubbed his own temples to control his nervousness. What should he do now?

Hey, Master, it's fine. He heard Daegnyth say, his confidence uite rising up a bit. It won't hurt to talk to another healer, you know?

...With another deep breath, he managed to utter the first words that came to mind.

"Uh... Uhm... H-Hello...?"

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

Jan 27 2018, 11:37 PM #3

"Hey," Vatoz responded back automatically, and then looked up to see who had spoken. It was a young man, probably around his age, with remarkable stunning silver hair. Had they gone grey early? Or was it some kind of dye? It would be rude to ask, but it was certainly intriguing. Kind of attractive too.

"Can I help you with anything?"

On first glance, it didn't seem as if the other man was injured, but looks could be deceiving, and there were plenty of issues that had no visible signs. Like stomach ache, or headaches. There was always a chance that they were new to the island and just exploring. He didn't know everyone, and there had been a few people to come in just doing that.

Either way, they were more than welcome.

"Hold on," he said, and then turned quickly to the pot. The tallow needed to be stirred, and he did so quickly. "Sorry about that, I'm in the middle of a project."

Jail Rose
Candidate
Jail Rose
Candidate

Jan 28 2018, 02:39 AM #4

Eijo'vikos didn't expect that the other man would notice him, but anyways, he just did. The healer tilted his head once the other man mentioned something about being in the middle of a project. Was he working on medicine, perhaps? Eijo'vikos had always wanted to make medicine himself, too... so observing another making medicine would always be helpful.

Regardless, he answered the questions given to him. "Uh... I, uh..." he stuttered, rubbing both of his arms. "N-Nothing, really... I was just wondering if this is the infirmary, that is all." He replied. He wanted to add in to his reply about wanting to talk to someone, but he discarded the idea.

Nice improvement, master! He could hear Daegnyth swooning from outside the room. You're first interaction is quite a success, I must say.

His face suddenly glowed red at the comment Daegnyth had given him. A-Ah... thank you, Daegnyth... but I'm not really good at talking or starting a conversation, especially around men...

Oh, it'll be fine, master! How about you start by asking whatever he is making, so that you can help him out if you can?

Following Daegnyth's advice, he slowly walked up to the other healer, simply watching his process. "Uh... so, umm... what are you making?" He asked, turning his head to face the other man. "I-I might... I might be of any help, if you need it."

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

Jan 28 2018, 03:37 AM #5

Well, he was glad that they weren't injured, and he smiled. "This is actually the smaller of the two infirmaries," he answered. "Most of the important cases get taken to the one on floor two, that's where the majority of the healers are stationed, and it has the better equipment." The equipment here wasn't half bad either, but the best was up on the next floor.

"This?" he said, stirring the pot once again. "I'm working on making some lip salve. I noticed that some of the candidates were starting to get chapped lips, and I don't want them to get so bad that they bleed." Preventive care was the best kind of care.

"Sure, I could use the help." Why not. It wasn't like he could hurt the salve, and it'd be nice to have the company. "If you could pour in that whole bottle of herb infused nut oil and then give it a stir, I'll dig out the little clay pots that we'll put it in once it's all melded together." There were other options available, but the clay pots were about as close to disposable as he could get. They were able to be refilled, but if they were dropped, or broken for any reason, it wouldn't be a big deal. Clay was easy to get. "I'm Vatoz, journeyman healer and candidate. What's your name?"

Jail Rose
Candidate
Jail Rose
Candidate

Jan 28 2018, 04:49 AM #6

Eijo'vikos nodded with every word he had said. "O-Oh, really... there are two infirmaries? That's quite... amazing." He simply wondered, not really knowing what words to formulate in this conversation. He then looked around and carefully picked up some of the equipment by the shelves. "The materials and equipment stationed here aren't that bad, though. But I'm kind of intrigued to go to the second infirmary you told me about."

He got a response about what he was making. "Oh... lip salve? I've heard about these during my first lessons in the Craft Hall, but I've never made one myself. And they are quite useful for chapped or injured lips." He said. When the healer asked to pour in a herd infused nut oil into the process, he immediately nodded, glad to finally be of use. He walked up to one of the shelves and picked one bottle of the said nut oil. He then approached the mixture and carefully poured in the nut oil. Then, with a ladle, he started to carefully stir the mixture until it was all molded in.

The other man introduced himself as Vatoz, a journeyman healer just like himself. And also, a candidate. So he still has to wait for the next clutch to hafch... Eijo'vikos thought to himself as he continued stirring, simply staring at the lip salve mixture.

When asked what his name was, he replied without turning around, a small smile on his face as he busied himself with working on the antidote. "Ah, my name is Eijo'vikos. I am also a journeyman healer such as yourself, and a dragonrider of Blue Daegnyth."

Daegnyth's voice suddenly echoed in his mind once again. Good introduction you got there, master. And he's an interesting guy, don't you think?

Eijo'vikos chuckled. Indeed he is, Daegnyth.

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

Jan 29 2018, 04:42 AM #7

"You'll definitely have to check it out,"he answered. "It's pretty impressive what they're doing. Tons of research, plus the more complicated cases. This one's mostly for candidates, and minor injuries."

It was a little weird that he hadn't actually made any, despite learning about it, but maybe he had chosen to focus on something else at the hall. Vatoz hadn't been able to decide, choosing to be more of a general practitioner. "It's nice to make your acquaintance."

Admittedly he hadn't recognized the blue rider as a journeyman, and they must have been at the healer hall around the same time. He would think that such striking looks would have stuck in his memory, but he was drawing a blank. "Sorry about not remember you," he responded, grinning wryly."I'm pretty sure we must have been at the hall around the same time." Maybe it'd come to him later.

Most of the weyrlings that he had seen around had their dragons nearby, but the blue hadn't come in with him. Maybe they were napping? "How's he doing? I know that he was a little shorter limbed than some of the others, have you noticed him having any difficulties?" He set the pots down on the table. "Sorry, I'm just curious. You don't actually have to answer."

He'd like it if Eijo'vikos did, but it wasn't important for him to know. He wasn't a dragonhealer, and while they were fascinating, he didn't think that he could give up his human patients for dragons.

Jail Rose
Candidate
Jail Rose
Candidate

Jan 29 2018, 12:01 PM #8

The 19-year old healer finally turned to Vatoz, finishing the lip salve mixture. "Haha, I will check it out later. I might be able to meet other healers aside you here."

He smiled and nodded, bowing his head as a sign of gratitude. "It's very nice to be your acquaintance too, Vatoz." He said, a faint pink blush on his face as he turned to the mixture again, setting it next to the clay pots Vatoz had prepared. W-Wow... I never really thought that I'd be able to communicate with other men this easily... He thought to himself, walking up to the shelves and observing more of the materials in small bottles.

When Vatoz mentioned something about not remembering him during their time in the Healer Crafthall, he raised an eyebrow curiously. Ah, come to think of it... he does seem familiar to me, but I can't put my finger on it... He thought, taking a bottle that contained lime grass. He walked back up to him, sitting on one of the nearby chairs. "No need to be sorry. I do find you familiar, too... I felt like I saw you back at the Craft Hall, but I couldn't tell..." He simply stated. "Well, I came to study at the hall by the age of 14... when did you start?"

Vatoz's next question concerned Daegnyth, he was sure just by telling how he described him. A small chuckle escapes his lips as he faces the door, knowing where he left Daegnyth off. "Oh, Daegnyth's fine, really. Despite being small, he doesn't have that much difficulties flying around Pern... he flies just as normally as an average dragon." Standing up from his seat, he smirked slightly. "Right Dae?"

The blue dragon's blue head peeked from behind the door, a visible pout on his face. Are you two talking about me or something? He then sent a small smile on Vatoz. And if you could, tell him I said hello and nice to meet you.

Eijo'vikos burst into soft giggles, walking up to his dragon and hugging the large head peeking from the door. "This here, Vatoz, is Daegnyth, my blue dragon." He said, kissing the dragon's forehead. "He wants to say hello."

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

Jan 31 2018, 04:38 AM #9

"Probably a good idea. I know we've got at least two of the master crafters here, and a few of the other journeymen too." Most of the ones he knew were with the displaced people, but as groups kept arriving to the islands, most of them ended up at least popping in for a visit."I'm sure they'd be glad to see you around."

He tested the mixture while Eijo'vikos investigated the shelves, judging it to need just a little longer.

"I became an official apprentice at twelve," he answered. "So, I suppose that I would have been a class or two ahead of you." That made him feel a little better, that they hadn't been directly classmates, and when he really thought about it, hadn't really done much with the younger apprentices.

He was glad to hear that the blue was doing well, that his shortened size wasn't a problem when it came to flying. It still might cause the blue trouble later, possibly with mating and perhaps with bathroom issues, but he was sure the pair would be able to handle it.

He was a little surprised when the blue peeked his head in, but not by much. The weyrlings and their dragons did seem to be pretty close to each other. He wasn't sure if that would lessen as the dragons aged, or if it would depend on the personalities of the pair. Most of the compound was big enough for that, but it probably wouldn't be once the dragons started to breed for real.

Hopefully they would.

"Oh, his coloration is every more handsome up close," Vatoz said. "I'm very glad to meet you too, Daegnyth." He smiled brightly. "You're welcome to come inside if you like,

Jail Rose
Candidate
Jail Rose
Candidate

Feb 5 2018, 09:07 AM #10

"Haha, thank you." Eijo'vikos couldn't help but let out a small chuckle at Vatoz's remark about Daegnyth's handomse coloring. "Indeed, his colors look really beautiful." He continued to nuzzle Daegnyth's face for a while, making the blue dragon pout. Hey, stop that, Ei. Daegnyth whined, wagging his tail slowly from behind his back.

Eijo'vikos chuckled again, before standing up from his spot and returning to Vatoz's side. He picked up the lip salve mixture from the bowl and looked thoughtfully at the other healer. "Well, then... should we start treating the other candidates or does this mixture still need more ingredients?" He asked, observing the unusual color of the lip salve. It's smell is peculiar... He noted, slowly sitting on a nearby chair. Well, it's much normal for medicine like this to have such a peculiar smell.

Gosh, master. You still don't have that much of a clue about the other medicines out there, no? Daegnyth's voice suddenly rang inside his ears, making the healer turn with a pout. He set the bowl on the table once again. Well, let's just say that I came to prioritize more on other medicines that aren't like lip salve. He told the blue dragon, who only snickered at his master's retort.

The healer turned to Vatoz with a smile. "Later after I spend some more time here, I'll go to the second infirmary you told me about. Would you like to come with us?"

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

Feb 10 2018, 09:43 PM #11

Seeing the blue reminded him just why he had volunteered as a candidate in the first place. It was for them, for Pern, and for hope. It was especially for hope.

Vatoz peered into the pot. "Looks like i's ready to be spooned into the tiny pots so that it can solidify," he answered. " Once they've hardened, then I'll hand them out." He paused. "I wonder if people would like it if it was tinted? What do you think?" It wouldn't take but a minute to add a little bit of color, and the girls might like that. He was sure that somebody of them would have lost their makeup in the chaos.

Maybe he should ask around. That was something fixable, and maybe it'd bring a little bit of joy to the world.

"Yeah, I can go with you. They'd probably appreciate a few of these, and it's always nice to say hi to the other healers." What went without saying was that they'd likely be pulled in to work unless they had a lesson to get to.

Jail Rose
Candidate
Jail Rose
Candidate

Feb 12 2018, 02:10 PM #12

The moment Eijo'vikos heard about Vatoz coming with him later, he nodded to himself. "Alright. I could use some company over there." He said, walking over to the other healer, giving Daegnyth one more pat on the head.

Treating the chapped lips of the other candidates here seemed like a really good idea. He nodded patiently, grazing a finger through his chin. When the other healer asked if having tinted lip salve was a good idea, he agreed to it. "It certainly is a good idea to add tint to the lip salve," He said to the other healer. "Color can add to the appeal of medicines, you see. So it shouldn't be bad at all." He added. Indeed, tinted lip salve would most likely much appeal to women, since they love to decorate their faces -- particularly their pouty lips -- with makeup. Replacing lip stick with a medicinal treatment shouldn't be so bad.

"I would also like to help handing out the lip salve," He asked the other male with a soft smile. "I just happen to want to be of use as a healer, even just once. So please, do tell me if the salve has hardened enough so we can hand it together."

From outside of the infirmary room, Daegnyth smiled warmly. His master was finally breaking out of his shell and he saw a huge improvement in that! Daegnyth let his head exit from the doorway, before leaning in beside the wall again. He has to wait for his master to come out. He doesn't want to ruin the moment Eijo'vikos is having with an acquaintance.

Jail Rose
Candidate
Jail Rose
Candidate

Feb 12 2018, 02:18 PM #13

The moment Eijo'vikos heard about Vatoz coming with him later, he nodded to himself. "Alright. I could use some company over there." He said, walking over to the other healer, giving Daegnyth one more pat on the head.

Treating the chapped lips of the other candidates here seemed like a really good idea. He nodded patiently, grazing a finger through his chin. When the other healer asked if having tinted lip salve was a good idea, he agreed to it. "It certainly is a good idea to add tint to the lip salve," He said to the other healer. "Color can add to the appeal of medicines, you see. So it shouldn't be bad at all." He added. Indeed, tinted lip salve would most likely much appeal to women, since they love to decorate their faces -- particularly their pouty lips -- with makeup. Replacing lip stick with a medicinal treatment shouldn't be so bad.

"I would also like to help handing out the lip salve," He asked the other male with a soft smile. "I just happen to want to be of use as a healer, even just once. So please, do tell me if the salve has hardened enough so we can hand it together."

From outside of the infirmary room, Daegnyth smiled warmly. His master was finally breaking out of his shell and he saw a huge improvement in that! Daegnyth let his head exit from the doorway, before leaning in beside the wall again. He has to wait for his master to come out. He doesn't want to ruin the moment Eijo'vikos is having with an acquaintance.

Dolce
Hatchling
Dolce
Hatchling

Feb 22 2018, 03:44 AM #14

"Lets do that to half of them then," he answered, going to the cabinet to pull out the tint. A light pink would be best, just a hint of color, and he found the herb that would give them that. "You ever work a mortar and pestle?" The other man was a journeyman, but not all of the teachers at the hall had been into hands on instruction.

He had gotten lucky to have ones that were, but not everybody was.

"It'll be best to leave them overnight, and then during tomorrows free time, we can hand them around and visit Infirmary too, if that'd work for you?" The salve would be best overnight, but it would hold for several days if it needed to. It would only be a problem if it got hot enough to melt,and that was easy enough to keep from happening. He could just put it in the supply cabinet, with a note, and then nobody would mess with it.