Wargaming with Warlord's WWII Bolt Action 28mm

gijoe
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

April 16th, 2017, 1:48 am #1

Since I have moved away from GW's Warhammer 40K system (due to cost, bloat and odd management decisions) and into one of my main passions (WWII) I have found a new motivation and inspiration back into my modeling hobby. This has led me back into aircraft making (and rekindled my love affair with Airfix and other manufacturers). The scale I work in mainly is 1:56 and Italeri and Rubicon produce some outstanding models for this range. I have focussed on two armies principally - Germans and Americans. I like the early war period (though I have catered for the whole early, middle and late periods). Never having the time to be able to play or hobby enough, I did what I could to field armies quickly and look good enough to pass the "3 foot" test on the table top.

But enough waffling! Some pictures!
The start of my mechanised armour force ... the kits were : Puma from Die Waffenkammer (resin cast), Panther was Italeri's excellent 1:56, the two SdfKz/251 Hanomags were Warlord kits and the PzIV with short 75mm also was a Warlord offering.
- The sniff of glue, the feel of a blade, light reflecting off a sprue, these are pleasing words to me! -

My Portfolio
My W.I.P

gijoe
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

April 16th, 2017, 1:55 am #2

The start of my build process with the aforementioned vehicles!

Really like the look of the Hanomags

A Hanomag under construction

The Panther after completion

The start of my resin cast Puma, also on the bench was some infantry miniatures being completed (Germans)

Prep of my Puma

Puma assembled
- The sniff of glue, the feel of a blade, light reflecting off a sprue, these are pleasing words to me! -

My Portfolio
My W.I.P

gijoe
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

April 16th, 2017, 1:58 am #3

This was what got me back into WWII wargaming with a vengeance. I had the 1st edition but never managed to play a game (I completed a yank force first). Once a friend was interested in getting into this system, I decided to get serious with it and really make it happen!

My Portfolio
My W.I.P

gijoe
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

April 16th, 2017, 2:16 am #4

So one fateful day in January of this year, I finally managed to play the game with my friend. He was not sure about getting into this system without test playing a game first. I fortunately had a Yank force and a German army underway so we could test play a small battle to check the rules and game play.

The mission was to investigate and capture documents from the wrecked US half-track in the center of the table.

The Yanks run straight to the objective while fire kept the heads down of opposing infantry units. Meanwhile, the tanks slugged it out with each other. The Sherman had the edge with it's ability to move and fire without penalty (auto-stabilisation). They missed or bounced rounds off each others armoured fronts.

The Germans are whittled down by the US fire doctrine (they ignore movement penalties to hit due to copious amounts of ammunition!) The tanks were still dueling until a round from the PzIV turned the Sherman into a ronson, it went up in flames and the crew bailed out!

With the Yanks getting away with the documents, the Germans are forced into desperate measures! The officer orders a general advance. A Panzer IV freed up from destroying a Sherman tries to intercept!

With the situation getting dicey for the Yanks, they do a classic American football play, the infantry unit lobs the plans to their officer who has been hiding behind the steel pipes.

A hard pressed Heer unit is between a rock and hard place, they need to stop the US officer getting away (smartly he ducked into the building to frustrate the Germans!)

The Germans assault the building with the officer in it! This is a desperate battle since hand to hand combat in Bolt Action is a decisive affair ... unfortunately the defenders have the luxury of cover and that means a simultaneous attack on one another!

Alas, the forlorn hope of the Germans have their brains dashed out by the burly GIs in the building! Too few men left after withstanding a hail of fire from two squads and poor dice rolls means they are massacred!

Victory for the Yanks! The officer runs pell mell out of the building for the safety of his lines and the Germans can only snarl in disgust! "Schewinhund Amerikaners!"

I think it was good for my friend to win this inaugural game, it encouraged him to purchase the Starter set and obtain a British force to combat my hordes of Germans! (I purchased a Fallschirmjager force to work on as well!) We used Mordheim terrain and other bits of 40K terrain to ensure a better look on the tabletop and it inspired us to actually grab more units and paint them up!

My Portfolio
My W.I.P

Paul H
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Paul H
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

April 16th, 2017, 7:43 am #5

Nice one :thumb:
I like the look of the device in the pic "Prep of my Puma" .What is it..a jewellry cleaner, medical steriliser ?
I knew the truck didn´t want to hit me....it had Dodge written on the front!
(32 down - 27 to go)
My ATF Portfolio
My ATF Workbench

gijoe
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

April 16th, 2017, 10:09 am #6

Your first guess was correct! An ultrasonic cleaner that I somehow persuaded SWMBO that we could clean her jewellery and my glasses and any other accoutrements! Just worked out that it could do my airbrushes, modeling components as well ... how convenient that was, no? :wink:
Last edited by Ratch on April 16th, 2017, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unnecessary quote deleted

My Portfolio
My W.I.P

Paul H
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Paul H
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

April 16th, 2017, 10:27 am #7

Thanks :thumb: I´ll have to get hold of one..I can think of loads of modelling uses, especially as it can have metal objects put into it
I knew the truck didn´t want to hit me....it had Dodge written on the front!
(32 down - 27 to go)
My ATF Portfolio
My ATF Workbench

gijoe
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

April 16th, 2017, 11:12 am #8

Rocking and rolling with my armoured schwerpunkt! The Panther has been outstanding in my games, it has put paid to Shermans, infantry units and the odd building ... truly worthy of it's reputation! The Pumas have also performed well in the field, they have knocked out their contemporaries (Humbers), put paid to flanking moves and with their recce performance (able to drive in reverse as if going forward) have dominated the field when needed! Have yet to see how the Tiger and the Stug will do (have not seen action on the field yet!) I decided to give them a consistent camouflage scheme to have them as a unified force. My Fallschirmjager will warmly welcome the added punch they give to their attacks! The Heer already do!

My Portfolio
My W.I.P

gijoe
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

April 16th, 2017, 11:17 am #9

This is what my German armour started out on the bench as! Alongside the Yank armour which looks overwhelmed by the surfeit of quality and quantity of their opponents!

My Portfolio
My W.I.P

David_Clark
Silver Star
Silver Star

April 17th, 2017, 1:11 am #10

gijoe wrote:An ultrasonic cleaner that I somehow persuaded SWMBO that we could clean her jewellery and my glasses and any other accoutrements!
I used to use an ultrasonic cleaner at work to clean everything from stone artefacts to Rotring pens. I bought one for my daughter for jewellery cleaning but haven't really thought about modelling applications until I saw your Puma getting a good clean. Something else to add to the shopping list :)
There is wide and ever-expanding range of 28mm - 1/56 vehicles and figures now. Your models look great and just a little tempting!
Cheers
David
. . . on weekends I perform miracles,
I turn paycheques into wine. (Tex Perkins)

gijoe
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

April 17th, 2017, 3:47 am #11

@David_Clark Thanks for that, I've yet to weather them up and add the decals (just deciding on what armour group they come from ... Joachim Pieper sounds tempting! But it means I will have to Waffen-SS up ... will leave that for a later date mayhap!) And yes, 1:56 scale is quite a relatively different scale ("heroic scale"), one day maybe I will run games in 1:72 and 1:35 scale just to see!

Here is another shot of "my" cleaner doing the business on my cheap, chinese made airbrush!

My Portfolio
My W.I.P