jag636
Green Star
Green Star

December 13th, 2017, 10:07 pm #556

Love this thread its johny walker, (still going strong) and indeed a part of it still graces this earth of ours at newark air museum, though it was a shed for a while, this is my favourite thread your work is fantastic and an inspiration to us all

Lincolnlanc
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

December 13th, 2017, 10:13 pm #557

Many thanks for your kind words.

Ian
"Well Chaps ... my watch says time to go ..."

Avro Lancaster Enthusiast.
Builder: RAF Station Grimsby diorama

Odysseus
Red Star
Red Star

December 13th, 2017, 10:58 pm #558

There is something awe-inspiring in a magnificent obsession - and this is nothing if not magnificent. Love it!
"Quae desperat tractata nitescere posse, reliquit" - Horace, Ars Poetica 1.148
(What he fears he cannot make attractive with his touch, he abandons)

Lincolnlanc
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

February 22nd, 2018, 11:18 am #559

Thank you to those who have passed favorable comments, all appreciated and helps to motivate one onto the next phase . . . 
There are EIGHT blast shelters on the main site and this has been a rather slow process of construction. I really did want to show the brickwork on these structures rather than have a plaster cast of sorts where, I believe, that the details wouldn't be that obvious. This photo is just a snap-shot and when they are all completed then I will run the whole build process to show their construction.

The work continues on providing a number of aircraft to be displayed: LM379 & DV189

These two should be the last for the RAF Grimsby diorama but then I have a list of several more that I would like just because I have the artwork for them
ND458, PB518, LM644, LM723, LM739, LM346, PA177, ND644, PA221, PB532, NG292, RE118 and finally a Mk. VII Interim NX568
Thanks again for looking in.
Ian

alanC
Gold Star
Gold Star

February 22nd, 2018, 11:36 am #560

What a great project/obsession this is. I think most of us would secretly like to own an airfield full of WW2 types. Your project shows that it's possible if only in 1/72 scale. Brilliant work Ian👏

Lincolnlanc
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

February 22nd, 2018, 12:20 pm #561

Following on from  the GB build: RAF Vehicles, in June/August last year, here are the vehicles that I produced with a couple of conversions thrown in.
As I am sure you are all aware, the RAF had far more vehicles than aircraft and the size of my diorama is going to need filling with such working vehicles  . . . .

Its my intention, pretty soon, to start working on a number of MMS vehicle that I have . . . .
Also I have just followed up a lead to obtain some of the Geoff Lacey vehicle plans so there is further scope for more conversions 
Overall, the diorama is keeping me off the street and busy 😊

Ian
Last edited by Lincolnlanc on February 28th, 2018, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lincolnlanc
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

February 27th, 2018, 10:15 pm #562

Putting the decals on . . . 

Next up will inserting the glazing then inserting the bomb-bay. Painting of the turrets and canopy is the least favourite aspect cos I believe it makes or breaks a finished model so its got to be neat . . . .

Lincolnlanc
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

February 28th, 2018, 10:50 am #563

Looking through the stash I came across this little beaut secreted in a box within a box . . . 

Now I know what is on the flatbed behind the cab I can build my own bits and pieces plus I now have the Geoff Lacey plan !!
I have also the Langley white-metal Karrier Bantam Dust cart so that will be the basis on which to build the 'Domestic Fire Tender'

wingnutmike
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

February 28th, 2018, 5:17 pm #564

It will/does look great Ian. Pity I will never see the finished project in person. I was thinking, I am working on a couple of light Aircraft at the moment, which were used as Airfield "hacks", may be add something similar to your project?
Mike

Lincolnlanc
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

February 28th, 2018, 5:33 pm #565

The station commander had a Tiger Moth  . . . does that count ??

Paws4thot
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

March 1st, 2018, 9:32 am #566

Well, with a bomber station there's almost always a Tiggie, an Oxford or an Anson "station hack" lurking somewhere.
"Is there anything I can do to help you?"
"Yes. Give me a staffel of Spitfires!"

Lincolnlanc
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

March 21st, 2018, 3:23 pm #567

I have another Oxford in the stash so that might well be employed as the station Commander's hack.

Two MMS vehicles started,  that of the Commer pre-heater van and a Morris van. The Morris was used for the maintenance of the airfield lighting both on the airfield and out in the fields. Lights that formed part of the DREM approach lighting system was often mounted on wooden poles, hence the ladder.

For those that were not aware, MMS kits come with a 'solid' windscreen area and side windows. One has to take a drill/file and 'put them through' so to speak.

The Commer pre-heater was in use at RAF Grimsby at the time that the Wellington bomber operated there with 142 Squadron. During the bleak winter of 1941/42 they used the heater van to warm the engines through before trying to start them; its wasnt always successful.

I am waiting for some warm weather outside so that i can spray undercoat onto the bare metal (she wont let me spray inside the house ?) before progressing with these . . .

Ian
Last edited by Lincolnlanc on April 3rd, 2018, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paws4thot
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

March 22nd, 2018, 10:06 am #568

@Lincolnlanc

1) I'm not surprised about the "solid castings"; it actually makes getting a good pour without a centrifugal casting machine easier (original source being the founder of Cromwell Miniatures).
2) No spraying indoors, even with a spray booth?
"Is there anything I can do to help you?"
"Yes. Give me a staffel of Spitfires!"

Lincolnlanc
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

March 22nd, 2018, 1:37 pm #569

I used to have a re-cycle bin in the garage and would often spray into this but now that bin serves it original purpose. I don't do a lot of Corgi 1/50th scale diecast re-spraying now but perhaps I ought to go down to the Pound shop and purchase a large 'storage bin' to utilise as a spray booth for the 4mm white metal stuff.

thanks for the prompt !!!
Ian

LarryH57
Red Star
Red Star
LarryH57
Red Star
Red Star

March 23rd, 2018, 2:57 pm #570

Lincolnlanc, what scale are those white metal kits?
Nothing makes me more mad than people's models that are better than mine, which happens quite often I can tell you, especially those 1/72 scale kits where the crew members have real clothes, and perhaps a moustache made of real hair! Lol.