My current Workbench

pwt32
Silver Star
Silver Star
pwt32
Silver Star
Silver Star

April 1st, 2018, 11:14 am #874

I guess this means you are off the hook then Ratch!

I did a bit of a rush job, but since I am travelling Easter Sunday, I wanted to finish my Firefly/Hat build. So starting at 6AM on Saturday,  I tarted painting the vinyl tracks. I used a dark gray for the rubber blocks and a rusty brown for the links. Omce dry a added the tracks. The rubber bands slipped on nicely and actually fit well around the running gear.

Next up I attached the upper hull. I also replaced the solid lift rings with wire. The small headlight shot out of my tweezers to never land, so I filled the hole. It was about 1mm x 2mm...

The worse seem was the front as the top/bottom bond was right across the transmission housing. I carefully sanded away with X-acto and paper to remove the seam.

I applied a base coat of Tamiya IJN Green and then with the paint still in the air brush added some Tamiya Desert Yellow to make a lighter green. This wss sprayed in large open areas and directly on hatches and objects sticking out. I also made sure to get the turret and top of the tank as the color would be lighter there.

Throughout this entire process I have been working on my tank riders, base coating, washing and detailing. My bird ( I have only had him for a few weeks) was carrying on so I brought him down on my shoulder to watch. After a while he edged down my arm and decided to try to grab the long black stick I keep waving around. Do you know how hard it is to paint tiny backpack straps with a bird grabbing your brush? He finally decided those Hat riders are probably peanuts and seeds and I caught him on film going for one of those munchy morsels. He missed!

Around 11AM I had the decals on. The front decals, like the "51" had to be trimmed down to fit in the front space. These were sealed again with gloss after 15 mins of drying.

Back at it again around 1PM. I applied some AK Interactive native black as a pin wash and then added dots along the sides and dragged them down with my finger to make rain marks on the side.Tools were detail painted before the wash although you can see in the image I missed a couple and had to go back and paint them (next to the turret).Tracks also got a black wash to darken them up a bit.

I found the HAT miniatures hard to work with but they are in great poses. The plastic is soft, almost a vinyl. I did not prime my figures but I will next time. The paint tended to flake off. I painted my miniatures with a mix of Tamiya and Citadel Acrylics. It was easy to cut too much off when trimming the figures as the plastic is soft. You will note some of the soldiers have a flat helmet. The packs and weapons tend to have good top detail but seem to meld with the uniform along the baseline. Same with some of the weapons. They need to be carefully trimmed.to look better. Still they were fun to work with, all of them have different faces and the multiple poses give you many options for placement on the vehicle.

A quick test fit to to figure out some prime spots to place the figures.

Around 9PM, I finished off the Firefly by spraying some flat on the model to hide the gloss used on the decals. I also covered my figures. I added the typical gun camo  by hand painting the blue gray on the underside and creating a demarcation line to hide the long barrel. I applied a dusting of dried mud on the running gear and lower hull, knocking of most with a stiff bristle brush. I applied a very light layer of dust on the upper hull turret as well. I finished off with a tiny antenna made from electrical wire. This completes the tank model itself. I was pleased with the result for such a quick build.

Next up was adding the 10 figures. They went on pretty well. Some just found a natural spot like the guy in the front. and the two guys on the rear tool box. The side riders required a bit of help, holding them in position until dry so they did not look like they were falling off. I struggled finding a good spot for the two guys kneeling in the middle. I do think they create some nice "action" to the model. I wish I had not glued down my commander hatch - I tried to pry it loose but was doing too much damage so I left it. Still it was a fun first try on the figures and I learned a lot with this test run. My next ones will be painted to a contest level. I finished this build around 11PM...

Paul ---> Portfolio Workbench
"I feel the need - the need for speed!"

Ratch
Site Owner

April 1st, 2018, 12:45 pm #875

Excellent one day build Paul - modelling as it used to be 😛
Living the dream
My Portfolio
My current Workbench

pwt32
Silver Star
Silver Star
pwt32
Silver Star
Silver Star

April 2nd, 2018, 2:10 am #876

Yes, but in the good old days I did not have Mig washes and pigments! That helps!

Arpie
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

April 3rd, 2018, 6:15 pm #877

Wow that is beautiful, you have achieved in a day what I could only dream of in a month!
2017 Bought:Built 2:6

Danny
Red Star
Red Star

April 3rd, 2018, 7:05 pm #878

Lovely !!!

pwt32
Silver Star
Silver Star
pwt32
Silver Star
Silver Star

April 5th, 2018, 11:57 am #879

Thanks!

While I wait for the next GB to start, more progress on my workbench. My P-23 (Polish light bomber/recon) aircraft interior is still being worked on. The interior is bare metal so after a dark silver and a black wash, I applied a lighter silver dry brush. I also started painting in the equipment hanging on the side walls. The instrument panel has been dry brushed silver over black to highlight the raised detail.

The cockpit floor and seats got the same silver treatment. I then applied some tissue to each seat as a cushion and painted that in multiple leather colors. Seat belts are painted foil. They are base painted, washed and waiting for final highlights. Finally I have started dirtying up the cockpit with some brown washes in typical spots where their shoes would go. I will finish with a splash of pigments. Poland deployed most of its Air Force to make shift fields prior to the German invasion and the muddy side road air fields would have dirtied things up a bit.

I had my first taste of the Hataka paints. I wanted to see if they would paint over bare plastic. They required a lot of mixing but they come with an agitator in the bottle (good!). They did cover, but it is a bit transparent. My engine cover will need a second coat.

My first Samurai warrior is together. He consists of 8 parts. The swords are two part affairs requiring some careful alignment to make them look as one in the belts. I had to fudge the arms a bit. I followed the contours of the indent for the main sword and second sword, but they interfered with how the spear would be held. I managed to lower the hand holding the rear of the spear and the new angle clears the swords sticking out. Seam lines were all over the main figure mold and I spent a good bit of time insuring they were gone (It went right thru his face, Ugh!). I applied a white primer so I can check for missed seams.

BTW - I tried using google translate again on my phone to see if I could find some part numbers. As I was passing over the instructions I found these small images with actual part numbers (but description in Japanese). So now I can accurately apply the parts. There are 3 sets of 2 part swords and at least I can identify which goes with which soldier now. Also, several have sashes and belts to add as well and now I can identify what goes where.

pwt32
Silver Star
Silver Star
pwt32
Silver Star
Silver Star

April 13th, 2018, 4:05 pm #880

I have been away at a business conference but still was able to get my first Samurai completed. In the process it appears I lost my in process pics! Anyway, here is what I got.

I applied some base coats to all the clothes after I finished working on the skin and hair. Here is the Medium brown & tan items filled in. 

...and all of a sudden he is done! Well mostly done. Here I have base painted the main clothes, armor and weapons. I applied a dark wash and then used successively lighter dry brushing to bring out the folds. Once done I painted in the white straps. Another very light black wash on the white clothes to create shadows and more white to highlight. Like the sample image the sandal straps were carefully painted green and then washed with black around the edges to create a shadow and "lift" them off the feet. My base got a pinkish-maroon paint and Black where the terrain will be.

Using a small micron marker, I added Japanese lettering on the white clothes per the box top image. Not a 100% copy as I do not write in Japanese, but it looks the part from a distance.

I used a technical paint from citadel. It is painted on as a thick paste and as it dries it cracks a bit to make a dry earth terrain. The black underneath helps highlight the cracks.

Here I added the spear which I painted with a dark brown for wood with lighter brown for grain. The straps were also painted a lighter color and highlighted. The spear tip was painted silver, washed and then the edges with a bright silver to show the sharpness of the blade. This was glued in place and some grass tufts were added to finish the base.

Pleased with the result. I am happy with the clothes and writing. I will try a different method on the skin for my next Samurai. I followed a YouTube video with multiple colors and glazing but I think I can do better.

My next Samurai is assembled and ready for paint.

wingnutmike
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

April 14th, 2018, 10:29 pm #881

Very Paul, looking forward to seeing your next figure finished.
Mike

pwt32
Silver Star
Silver Star
pwt32
Silver Star
Silver Star

April 15th, 2018, 11:59 am #882

Thanks Mike - My next guy is moving right along...

Following the box art, I started with the flesh tones again. I also started painting the blue pants and short sword scabbard.

The box art shows the figure in bare feet. The feet are too smooth and the detail is too soft, so I added the "socks" that were on my other figure. At this point I painted the main sword scabbard red and painted the base coats on the armor under the leather shirt. The box top shows dragon flies painted on the pants. I tried this several times on paper but could not get the tiny lines to make the dragon fly. Instead I used a toothpick dipped in white paint to make the 3 dot design in white.

Here the chain mail style armor on his arms and his main jacket are painted.and everything got a wash of dark brown.Sword handles are wrapped in leather and painted a leather color. Sandal straps are blocked in and shaded. I applied a filter of blue wash over the paints to tone down the white dots. 

Here I used an off-white color to paint all the white pieces of clothing including the head band. I used a light black wash just in the recesses to highlight the folds in the white items.

With all the twisting of the figure to apply washes and dry brushing,  I broke the sword off. Ugh! I shaved the paint off and used plastic cement to reattach. I have already broken it off a second time so I add a thin film of super glue as well.

pwt32
Silver Star
Silver Star
pwt32
Silver Star
Silver Star

April 17th, 2018, 5:37 pm #883

I have finished my sword wielding Samurai. I painted and finished off the base like the prior figure. The sword is weak but holding.

I have started the 3rd (of 4) Samurai. This guy only had a few parts so should be easy to complete. He will be holding a Yari which is a pole weapon with 3 blades in a cross used for pulling Samurai from horses and stabbing. According tot he pain chart he is wearing gloves and socks so the only exposed flesh is the face. He has on pants that have a colorful pattern but the base is blue.

I could not recreate the tiny pattern on the box top, but instead applied a stippling of dark pink, tan and light green to create a color affect. Gloves/feet have been dry brushed with a lighter green. Face has been base painted, washed and highlighted twice with successively lighter colors.

pwt32
Silver Star
Silver Star
pwt32
Silver Star
Silver Star

April 17th, 2018, 5:43 pm #884

My P-23A Karas will head into the paint booth tonight. Over the weekend I put the main pieces together. They needed additional persuasion in certain spots. No positive locators on most of the kit parts so hard to align the wings. 

No gaps on the top of the wings but the big ones on the bottom. I used tape to protect the raised panel lines from sanding.

Success - nice clean lines with minimal damage

Main pieces are together. Engine cylinders needed a tiny bit of trimming to fit in the cowling.

Starting to tape up the large canopy areas...

Arpie
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

April 17th, 2018, 8:38 pm #885

Interesting looking plane the Karas, the interior looks good.
2017 Bought:Built 2:6