Diorama: Green Hell or Green Pizza?

danny_1960
Silver Star
Silver Star

November 16th, 2017, 6:40 pm #1

I'm making a diorama base as an experiment. I made just a few dioramas, more vignettes than dioramas, really, using some Matchbox bases and plasticard, as you can find in my Portfolio. In the eighties I made some using Esci vac-u-forms (then I had Bastogne and Arnheim, but I don't have them anymore, because I didn't like them) and even some Airfix base that I used recently for displaying the scratchbuilt guns.
I've read a little about using cardboard bases and acryllic paints; i also read Mike Smith's page about Scenery for Wargames, and I like it a lot. Nevertheless, I don't have a great ability at painting or making terrains. My excuses if it isn't great, but I'm just learning.
Last edited by danny_1960 on November 17th, 2017, 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

danny_1960
Silver Star
Silver Star

November 16th, 2017, 7:41 pm #2

Raw materials:
A white carboard sheet, aproximately 30x40cm
Green acryllic paint (I employed Acrylex, a Brazilian brand).
General varnish.
Sand; coarse grained.
Pebble
Oregano (marjoram).
Little wood splinters and sawdust.
Acryllic glue (white glue).

wingnutmike
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

November 16th, 2017, 9:27 pm #3

You forgot the pics Daniel.
Mike

danny_1960
Silver Star
Silver Star

November 17th, 2017, 12:39 am #4

No, Mike. They're coming now.
I took the carboard and put some UHU glue in one corner, forming a circle. Over that, I put some pieces of pebble to form a small stone group. Then, I added sand to this group. Second, I added acrylic glue liberally and sand on that, to form little "islands" of sand. My first thougt was to let visible that islands. 
Third, I began painting all the surface with a green acrylic, avoidind the sand zones. I didn't like that, so I began covering the sand areas with paint. The acryllic tear up part of the sand, and I was a little disappointed, but I saw the acryllic plus the sand began to give volume to the terrain. I also painted over the pebble, with a very good effect. 
Fourth: I put some UHU glue over the paint and added more sand and little pebble, and oregano leaves. At this stage, the diorama base look like the picture. 

The little bush is a tiny plant I got in the pathway. 
When I show this to my wife she said: "Oh, looks like a green pizza!" And she was right: it smelled like that. 

danny_1960
Silver Star
Silver Star

November 17th, 2017, 12:47 am #5

The terrain was OK, but the color was very monotone (I just bought this green acrylic paint, for experimenting).
I decided to add some natural brown with some chips of natural wood. Some workers were making reforms in my job, so there I picked the splinters and sawdust. I put UHU glue on two places and the wood as you can see, to suggest parts of fallen trees. 
Last edited by danny_1960 on November 17th, 2017, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

danny_1960
Silver Star
Silver Star

November 17th, 2017, 12:51 am #6

I think the combination of green and brown looks good. Then I began to give a little color and highlight to the green, using dry brush with Humbrol white, sand and brown

danny_1960
Silver Star
Silver Star

November 17th, 2017, 1:04 am #7

After finishing that, I bought an artist General Varnish and I began to cover all the surface. here you have some details of the terrain:
1) The "rock" grouping, painted with acrylic green, with some touches of color looks great for me. I think maybe is the best part of the diorama base. Note how the sand grains give the cardboard a more natural semblance. If you look carefully, you can see the color of the white cardboard, emerging between the pebbles. The oregano leaves cake a little, but don't look out of place.

2) The splinters, covered with the varnish, look this way. I lost some of the sandust in the painting, as you can see.

3) The other group of splinters, painted more carefully. Look at the oregano leaves: I think I won't use them anymore, maybe replacing them with some "level surfaces" made of carboard or from polyurethane foam.

danny_1960
Silver Star
Silver Star

November 17th, 2017, 1:09 am #8

Here you have a general view of the "Green Pizza" diorama. I'm thinking it's big and maybe I could cut it in pieces.

I don't think this diorama is fantastic at all, but it gave me some ideas for a project I had some time ago: a little reduced model (in 1/72) of Bonnyman's Bunker, a very important defensive strongpoint during the Battle of Tarawa.

danny_1960
Silver Star
Silver Star

November 20th, 2017, 5:25 pm #9

Wow! 😳 Is this diorama so bad that it doesn't even desserve a negative review, guys? 😰❓

Odysseus
Red Star
Red Star

November 20th, 2017, 8:40 pm #10

I guess the trouble is that we don't know what you are trying to achieve. In the detail pictures, the red areas look a little dissociated from the surrounds, as if someone had spilled some paint. I like the use of oregano, as nothing looks like foliage better than real foliage. And I do like the rock cluster
"Quae desperat tractata nitescere posse, reliquit" - Horace, Ars Poetica 1.148
(What he fears he cannot make attractive with his touch, he abandons)

Ratch
Site Owner

November 20th, 2017, 8:42 pm #11

I was waiting to see what you did with it next Danny 😳
Living the dream
My Portfolio
My current Workbench

wingnutmike
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

November 20th, 2017, 9:04 pm #12

If nothing else Daniel, it should smell nice.
Mike

danny_1960
Silver Star
Silver Star

November 21st, 2017, 10:40 am #13

Ratch wrote: I was waiting to see what you did with it next Danny 😳
As I said at the beginning, it's just an experiment, a base to be used with other models, maybe for display them, Ratch. I was thinking in display the Japanese guns on these.
Thank you, guys, for your honest comments! 

danny_1960
Silver Star
Silver Star

November 21st, 2017, 11:30 am #14

Odysseus wrote:  In the detail pictures, the red areas look a little dissociated from the surrounds, as if someone had spilled some paint. I like the use of oregano, as nothing looks like foliage better than real foliage. And I do like the rock cluster
Yes, Odysseus, those trunks maybe look a little out of place. I couldn't get any model trees yet.  I was trying to avoid a simple, plain, green surface. As I said, this is my first experiment with acryllic paints, sand and rocks. Really! I'm thinking to use this base for displaying tanks or guns in the future; maybe a little reduced.🤔

danny_1960
Silver Star
Silver Star

November 21st, 2017, 11:34 am #15

wingnutmike wrote: If nothing else Daniel, it should smell nice.
When I put the varnish on it, I lost the smell, Mike🤔 But I'm thinking in putting it between two breads and make me a Diorama sandwich! 🙂