Airfix Coastal Defence Fort

Brews
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

July 24th, 2008, 12:47 am #1

SPLIT FROM THE GALLERY
http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.o ... 34&t=10271
Very good work! It almost needs a bit of graffiti :)

One thing that looks out of place is the steps .. a railing on the right hand side wouldn't go astray. It's obviously not necessary, but I think it would look ok.

Anyway, like the others have said ... I wish I could paint mine as well as you have yours.

planefixer
White Star
White Star

July 24th, 2008, 1:03 am #2

Brews wrote:Very good work! It almost needs a bit of graffiti :)

One thing that looks out of place is the steps .. a railing on the right hand side wouldn't go astray. It's obviously not necessary, but I think it would look ok.
Thanks for the compliments and comments, Brews. I actually thought out the placement of the handrail issue carefully, and decided to place it on the sidewall so a soldier hurrying up the steps could hold his rifle in his right hand, and steady himself with his left.  It also allows for the option of skipping a step or two when seconds count. A handrail on the right would be in the way of that option.  I figured easy access was more important than safety.

Brews
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

July 24th, 2008, 4:11 am #3

I have no problems with that logic, and it was something that I did think about myself, not so much with needing to carry weapons so much as maybe it might get in the way of carrying bulky items up the steps. It's good to see you thought about it, and thanks for sharing your thought process :)

Digs
Silver Star
Silver Star

July 24th, 2008, 5:39 am #4

Oh that is nice!
How did you get the concrete effect?  Is it a thin skim of filler?
What about the ladders?  What are they made of?
Makes me (a) nostalgic (I grew up in Guernsey and spent many hours exploring old bunkers) and (b) keen to fish my kit out of the stash!
Paul

airfixteen
Gold Star
Gold Star

July 24th, 2008, 9:20 am #5

Very Nice

Does anybody know wether those AA guns are fiction or are based on real AAs?
You must listen to what the baked potato say.....

Luke

planefixer
White Star
White Star

July 24th, 2008, 9:30 am #6

Digs wrote:How did you get the concrete effect?  Is it a thin skim of filler?
What about the ladders?  What are they made of?
Hi Digs, I did enhance the existing texture of the concrete with Tamiya putty, dragged on to the surface until it started to dry, which resulted in the rough finish. The nondescript berm at the base of the emplacement was made into rough-cast concrete by the same technique, and by scribing horizontal  lines into the putty before it dried completely. The ladders are from a bagged set of plastic HO ladders and steps sold at  model railroad stores. I first cut the molded-in ladders off the building, then cut up one railroad ladder to make squared, "U"-sections that I embedded in the walls, on to which I glued the new ladders. One could also just use wire to make U-shaped rungs and place them directly into the wall, which is how ladders were often effected all along the Atlantic Wall. The platform that fills the open space in the rear of the kit was made with sheet plastic; the stairs were another HO train accessory; and the safety rail came from a bagged set of handrails made by the same company that made the ladders. The elevating wheels on the guns are, likewise, model railroad brake wheels. You must have had a ball as a kid, playing "D-Day" on an authentic part of the Atlantic Wall!

Digs
Silver Star
Silver Star

July 24th, 2008, 1:27 pm #7

Funnily enough i don't remember ever playing war games in and around the bunkers - we were more interested in exploring them.  I was a nipper in the 70s; they were already in a pretty derelict state by then and (after a couple of accidents) the government had systematically started filling in or blocking off many of them, especially the underground sections.   And of course that just made them all the more attractive - my generation were (it seems  8-) , dab hands at tunneling, climbing and lock smashing.  

Some crackers we never got into, one in particular where we could see tantalising glimpses of a machine gun mount still in situ.  

Other notable ones though - the several kilometers of unfinished (unlined) 'double ladder' style hillside storage tunnels that by then were partially collapsed, partially flooded (my mate left a sealed envelope saying where we'd gone on his bed where it would be found later in the day if we didn't return from that trip...), and (what your kit reminded me of) - the Mirus battery.  An inland battery that mounted (IRC) some war booty high calibre French naval guns in a large complex.  On private land (oops) and only accessible via a fairly hairy climb and drop down and very scary for a bunch of kids to then find that someone was living in it.  A few years later I took my other half to see it and was well impressed when she went as far as the 40' crawl though the old ammunition feed tunnel (2' square from memory) to gain access to the actual gun mount.

Paul

Sgt.Squarehead
Gold Bar
Gold Bar

July 30th, 2008, 7:35 pm #8

Amazing weathering and texturing and I love all the extra details.....Top notch stuff!  8-)

All the best
PS - I hope you don't mind me asking, but are the AA guns OOTB.....They look a bit basic, especially compared with all of the lovely detail that you have added elsewhere.  :?:

planefixer
White Star
White Star

July 30th, 2008, 10:22 pm #9

Sgt.Squarehead wrote:are the AA guns OOTB..
Thanks, Sarge - and the rest of you guys. It's a comfort that there are folks out there who appreciate this stuff!
The AA guns are the kit's - I really did want to keep the "soul" of the original kit intact, and yet show what a little paint and some detail can do to add interest. That being said, they do stand out as the most "toyish" of the fort's components, and since they are just "popped in the hole," I could add more detailed weapons at any time. Any suggestions for guns?
By the way, I did see somewhere, a photo of a German gunner at a twin mount just like the kit's -  which brings up a question: is this fort completely "made up," or is it based, however loosely, on a real prototype? The emplacements closest to the kit's design -  and the guns - most resemble British fortifications to me. Any thoughts?

Sgt.Squarehead
Gold Bar
Gold Bar

July 30th, 2008, 10:37 pm #10

I'd guess it's a bit of a hybrid.....The AA Guns on the fort vaguely resemble the twin Oeilerkons(?) on the Vosper MTB to me.  :idea:

The AA Gun mounts are pretty small, so I'd imagine you are going to be limited to pretty small guns.....If you are going for a British look, how about twin Brens on an AA mount, or if German, perhaps you might just squeeze a Flak 38 in.  :idea:

Just a thought, all the best

Beaufighter
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

July 30th, 2008, 10:52 pm #11

As a matter of interest, what calibre are those main guns? I.e. what do they actually measure across the muzzle?
Connecting rooms and black sedans

planefixer
White Star
White Star

August 1st, 2008, 9:21 am #12

Beaufighter wrote:As a matter of interest, what calibre are those main guns? I.e. what do they actually measure across the muzzle?
Beaufighter, the bore is 3/16ths of an inch, or 4.5mm - take your choice. Somebody with a head for math will have to figure out the scale calibre.

-planefixer

peebeep
peebeep

August 1st, 2008, 9:37 am #13

If it's 1/72 scale then that would make the guns 324mm, pretty impressive!

peebeep

Beaufighter
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

August 1st, 2008, 9:52 am #14

In 1/76 they would be 13.5", which interestingly was a widely-used British WW1 naval calibre (found on Iron Duke and many others).

As naval rifles from scrapped ships quite often did find their way into shore batteries, it rather supports the idea that it's based on a British style of fortification, or it could just be a lucky fluke!
Connecting rooms and black sedans

stuzzar
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

August 1st, 2008, 11:03 am #15

Here are a couple of options that I have considered using for the smaller gun positions when I eventually get around to building my one of these:

There is very nice flak 38 available from AB Figures although I am not sure that this will fit in the area without some major remodelling of the upper ‘bunkers’

http://www.abfigures.co.uk/images/Flak38_04a.jpg

http://www.abfigures.co.uk/images/Germa ... w_WH27.jpg

There are also these 5cm A/T guns from Accurate Armour that would look quite good, again some adjustment may be required of the existing gun positions.

http://www.accurate-armour.com/showaapr ... ategory=31

Someone also makes a very nice little kit of twin MG34s on an A/A mount with gunner but I cannot remember who does this. These would suit very well; I will put the link up when I find it.

For a British bunker how about a couple of oerlikons, again from Accurate Armour

http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProd ... oduct=1936

Cheers

Stu