2018 Airfix RAF 100 GB 1990-present: Johnnyb`s Build Tornado GR1 04027

mosquito ace
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

July 15th, 2018, 11:03 am #1

Welcome to the 100 years of the RAF Group Build 1990- Johnnyb , Watch Johnnyb`s Tornado Gr1 be built from here👍
regards;kevin
works in progress
portfolio
Airfix club member
Group Build Leader

johnnyb
Gold Star
Gold Star

August 5th, 2018, 9:52 pm #2

Here are the opening shots for a BAe Panavia Tornado GR1 (04027) deployed in Op Granby in 91.  Not sure of the sqd or the markings yet.  I have ordered and received Print Scale decal sheet 72-040.  I was pleased to find the there was some creative nose art deployed in this operation.  I find that there usually isn't a whole lot of nose art on RAF aircraft.  I wonder why it appears so much on these gulf planes?

Johnnyb

johnnyb
Gold Star
Gold Star

August 13th, 2018, 1:19 pm #3

Started on this build with the assembly and painting of the cockpit, the closing of the fuselage and the addition of the wings and intakes.  The cockpit is pretty basic, but there isn't much to be seen once it is closed up. I still have some work to blend the intakes into the side of the fuselage.  Probably just a little bit of filler will be all that is needed.

Johnnyb

mosquito ace
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

August 13th, 2018, 7:13 pm #4

off to a good start johnny👍
regards;kevin
works in progress
portfolio
Airfix club member
Group Build Leader

lof03
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

August 13th, 2018, 10:35 pm #5

Oooh I hope you're going to leave the swing wing mechanism free of glue for future playing?👏
Modelling Intentionally.
Portfolio Workbench

johnnyb
Gold Star
Gold Star

August 14th, 2018, 12:18 am #6

Oh man!  I knew you were going to give me a hard time over this!  No ... I glued them into position.  I was afraid that the mechanism would fall off after I had it closed up.  Anyway, I don't really play with my finished models.  Sorry!
Johnnyb

mosquito ace
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

August 14th, 2018, 8:02 pm #7

johnny you have done the right thing gluing the wings in the forward or swept position because if you did not glue the wings you would not be able to fix the pylons and the fuel tanks as these have to be glued to the wings in a fixed position, if you wanted the wings to open and close you would not be able to add the pylons as the pylons rotate when the wings are fully closed or open😙
regards;kevin
works in progress
portfolio
Airfix club member
Group Build Leader

johnnyb
Gold Star
Gold Star

August 15th, 2018, 4:04 pm #8

Yes.  I was aware of that also, Kevin.  If you can't rotate the pylons, there isn't really any point in leaving them movable. 

Can anyone tell me what the stores included with the kit are meant to represent?  I know that we have a couple of fuel tanks and AIMs and, looks like, some 1000lb bombs for below the fuselage, but what are the ones meant to go on the outer pylons?  Are those the Sky Shadow ECM units?  Why are there two of them?  One must be a BOZ.

Oh, just found this. 
http://www.dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/tornado.html
Mmmm ..now to figure it out ..
Johnnyb

thomasweir
Gold Bar
Gold Bar

August 15th, 2018, 7:36 pm #9

They are two Skyshadow pods in this kit as Airfix based it on the Tornado entering service with the TTTE and TWCU (45Sqn) which had the earliest production examples. The BOZ-107 pod can be found one in the Airfix GR4 kit or Revell/Italeri GR1 kits. Airwaves do a resin one for the Airfix kit. The skyshadow pods are wrong anyway because they are missing a few bumps. Airfix made a correct shaped one but you can only find that in the Airfix Nato weapons set. Again raiding Revell or Italeri kits will provide a correct one. The bombs are 1000Ib and the tanks are the early four fin ones which were replaced around 86/87 with the two fin tanks. During Desert storm on long range missions some Tornados used the Tornado F3's hindenburger drop tanks.

Making good progress though.

johnnyb
Gold Star
Gold Star

August 15th, 2018, 7:56 pm #10

Thanks so much Thomas.  When I start researching the load outs of these modern jets, my head starts to spin!   I'm going to try and gather some of these pieces and maybe post what I come up with to see if it is accurate.  I appreciate your checking in.

Just remembered, I forgot to add ballast!!!  Oh Man!
Johnnyb

lof03
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

August 16th, 2018, 7:43 pm #11

No playing?! always find the payloads totally confusing too.
Modelling Intentionally.
Portfolio Workbench

johnnyb
Gold Star
Gold Star

August 25th, 2018, 8:14 pm #12

Finally back on this build.  Summer activities are getting int he way of modeling.  Figuring out the load outs on this jet has delayed me a bit.  With the advice of other members, I decided to get the Italeri boxing of the Gulf War Tornado to get the proper ordinance and pods.  I'm going to try and make the smart bomb trucker version, with some laser guided ordinance on the belly hard points.  I think I am going to use the Italeri hard points on the belly.  I think the Airfix ones are only for dumb bombs.  I have attached the wings pylons and landing gear.  I think my gear doors are slightly off.  The instructions are not much help in that area.  I also primed all of the oreginance.  There was a lot of cleanup on both the Airfix and Italeri pieces.  Lots of seam lines.  I always think modern jets are going to be easier than they turn out to be.  Still having fun though!

Johnnyb

mosquito ace
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

August 26th, 2018, 1:20 pm #13

great progress Johnny👍
regards;kevin
works in progress
portfolio
Airfix club member
Group Build Leader

johnnyb
Gold Star
Gold Star

September 3rd, 2018, 2:00 am #14

Thanks guys!  Got back on this one today.  I almost fell into a common trap when am building two of the same type of plane; I almost painted this one the color that is supposed to go on my F3!  Luckily; I caught it in time.  I have primed the plane with Tamiya Fine White primer and put down a couple of coats of the Lifecolor Desert Pink.  It takes about three coats to cover.

Johnnyb

mosquito ace
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

September 3rd, 2018, 7:26 pm #15

looking good Johnny👍
regards;kevin
works in progress
portfolio
Airfix club member
Group Build Leader