Disappearing posts

Disappearing posts

August 14th, 2008, 4:31 am #1

Mods,

I just finished writing a post and sent it (or so I thought) and it hasn't appeared in the thread entitled YourEyes. Did I do something wrong when I sent it? (which won't surprise me if I did LOL).

Just wondering if there is a ghost eating up the posts.

DH

August 14th, 2008, 1:32 pm #2

DH,

Sometimes I have finished typing a post and then inadvertently hit the wrong button. Most of the time if I then hit the back button (you know, the arrow key on the upper left corner of your screen), I can eventually get back to the post I just finished typing and then post it.

Sometimes it won't post, but in that case, I just copy the text, go back into the forum, log into that particular thread, and then paste my message in.

Every once in a while, my post is just gone. Then I am frustrated (at myself mostly for hitting the wrong key or taking too long).

Good luck.

ff

August 15th, 2008, 9:28 pm #3

Mods,

I just finished writing a post and sent it (or so I thought) and it hasn't appeared in the thread entitled YourEyes. Did I do something wrong when I sent it? (which won't surprise me if I did LOL).

DH
It's hard to know the exact cause of the lost posts, and there's very little that we can do to prevent this from occurring in the future, however here's a few tips:

1) Set your auto-logout time to a higher amount. Many posts are lost because the time it takes to write them is longer than the auto-logout time. This is accessed from "My Resources", click "Edit Account", "Account Options", and modify the setting under Auto Logout. Make sure to click the "Save Changes" button to record any modifications.

2) Store a copy of the post before you click "Respond" or "Preview". I always execute Edit>Select All, then Edit>Copy to place a copy of the post in the computer's paste buffer (an area of memory used by the operating system to allow copying data from one program to another). Many time's I'll copy the text into my word processor and run it through the spell checker, then copy it back. This leaves a copy in the word processor program until I'm sure that the post is made. These steps are a little easier if you learn the control key sequences that effect the same actions.

Ctrl+A is Select All
Ctrl+C is copy TO paste buffer
Ctrl+V is copy FROM paste buffer
Ctrl+X is delete

Also, the delete key will clear any selected text without putting it in the paste buffer.

As long as you do this, you'll have a copy in the computer should anything go wrong in the browser. After starting a new post, you can then use the Copy>Paste operation to place the data stored in the paste buffer in the message box rather than re-typing it.

3) Make sure you wait until the website responds to your post. If it gives you a "stale post" message (or something to that effect), I've often found that I can press the "Post" button again and still post the message.

TomJ

Last edited by tomj76 on August 15th, 2008, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 16th, 2008, 1:30 am #4

Mods,

DH
Thanks Tom for the suggestions. It was odd because when I hit the post button, it gave me a message that I couldn't post again so soon, but yet the post never came through. I was surprised because I had never encountered a message that said I had posted too quickly. I will have to make sure that I save it somewhere. I was writing a lengthy email to my boyfriend and my session expired. I was furious at that. So, losing posts here is just as frustrating.

DH