Gliders in the GCE. I wonder if anyone has

Gliders in the GCE. I wonder if anyone has

December 2nd, 2010, 8:49 pm #1

details and photos of any gliders used in Spain in the 1930s and during the war? Thanks.

A man can't have too much info' on the Spanish Civil War

Jean Massé
Jean Massé

December 5th, 2010, 4:37 pm #2

During the Spanish Civil War, the Nationalists did not use any of the almost 15 gliders existing in their power (CYPA XIV, Espenlaub 32, Lippisch Zögling, Scleicher Anfänger).
In the Replublican zone, they were about 60 gliders (CYPA XIV and XIX, Kassel 20A, Schneider Grünau 9 and Baby II, Lippisch Falke, Professor and Zögling, Schleicher Anfänger and Prüfling).
A school was created at Sant Gregori (provincia of Girona). It was directed by Alfonso Tuset, a former Chato's pilot.
According to P. Laureau, on the end of 1938, the gliders used here were : 6 Zögling and 1 CYPA.
I believe they were in fact Zögling variants (CYPA XIV and Llagosta) and perhaps a CYPA XIX.
All these gliders were burned on the beginning of 1939 before the arrival of the Nationalist army.
Llagosta III, CYPA XIV, CYPA XIX :

Jean Massé

Jean Massé
Jean Massé

December 5th, 2010, 4:48 pm #3

details and photos of any gliders used in Spain in the 1930s and during the war? Thanks.

The photographs of the previous message depicts :
Llagosta III (from Canudas' book "História de l'aviació catalana")
CYPA XIX (from "Revista de Aeronautica" num.29, Agusto 1934)
CYPA XIV (from Táuler's book "Historia del vuelo sín motor en España")
Jean Massé

December 5th, 2010, 8:53 pm #4

of gliders and you've given me the types to look for. Do you have any details of registrations and/or markings carried by the gliders, please? It's strange that the Nationalists did not use any, given that the Germans were so keen on them.

Jean Massé
Jean Massé

December 7th, 2010, 9:07 pm #5

I d'nt know any pre-war registration of the Spanish gliders, except about a Corbella glider which was registered on 1922 as : M-GC-FF.
On the 40's the registration was painted on the glider's fuselage.
Exemple : EC-1-79 = Grünau Baby II
EC-2-30 = Kranick II
EC-3-8 = AISA Weihe
Here, a drawing of a Baby II built under licence in Jerez-de-la-Frontera. It was used on 1943 at the school of Monflorite (Huesca) :

Patrick Vidal
Patrick Vidal

August 16th, 2011, 11:37 pm #6

Interesante esta precisión sobre matrículas de planeadores y veleros en España. Presumo que lo del numeral 1 a los Babys, el 2 a los Kranich y el 3 al Weihe corresponde al uso específico de cada tipo, no? Hay alguna descripción del sistema de matrículas empleado ? Ese Baby construído en Jerez; por quién o cómo? No tenía noticia alguna.