hobbies with a brachial Plexus injury

Toinette
Toinette

May 24th, 2011, 5:29 pm #1

My brother was in a motorcycle accident in Sept 2010.  Out of many injuries the only lasting one {thank God!} was the brachial plexus injury leaving his left arm totally useless. ... My brother was very independent and loved the out doors.  He was excellent at bow hunting, paint ball, etc.  Now, he sits at home and watches TV because he hasn't found any hobby that interests him with only one arm.  It breaks my heart!  I know there is stuff out there but I don't know where to look.  If anyone could give me any ideas, I would be very greatful!
Thanks, Toinette

SilverHawk
SilverHawk

May 27th, 2011, 12:16 pm #2

Hi Toinette

Welcome to the Boards.

Im sorry to hear about your borther and can empathise with how you are feeling. It is still early days for him, and he may be trying to get used to the idea himself first, so dont worry too much just yet. Time is a great healer and things will start to emerge as he gets more used to his new self. Its not going to be an easy journey for him .. or the rest of the family, though, so try not to push him too hard until he has come to terms with things.

There are many peeps out there who have developed hobbies in the most unlikely of areas, with one arm. Take my partner (Yeti /Ewan) for instance ... he still enjoys shooting, fishing, boating to name but a few, but then he has been without his arm for over 30 years now and has developed ways of doing things. He never lets the injury get in the way or anything he wants to do, even if it does mean him having to practice his Anglo-Saxon a bit more on occasion. From the stories you hear on here, it is different for everyone. Some get over the trauma fairly quickly and are able to move on to new things - others fall into depression and take a much longer time to adjust their lives to their disability.

Does he have any movement in the arm at all? It sounds like he was quite an active person, so this period of inactivity will be strange for you and him. For the time being - I would suggest that you just continue to show your support of what he wants to do now, and be there for him as much as possible. Baby steps - lead to greater strides ...

We are always here if you need more help or support. Good Luck!

All the best - Take Care

Kate
Dance like no-ones watching

Natedawg
Natedawg

June 10th, 2011, 9:27 am #3

Hey Toinette,

I just turned 28 and it's been 2 years for me as I'm getting used to complete paralysis of my left arm. I used to play b-ball and v-ball and softball before my injury. I've been an avid out-doorsman too, taking four years of wilderness training in college. Like Katie said, it really IS different for each person. I used to say that "I can't do half the things I used to", and be depressed by it. But now, 2 years later, I say "I CAN do half the things I used to".

As for finding hobbies, that's something he will have to figure out as he goes. Some things are not as possible, but other things are possible at a different level. For example, I am now able to play volleyball again. How do I do it? Not at the same level I used to play, but I can actually bump and bump-set while holding my one lifeless arm with my good arm. It's obviously not as good as if I had both arms but I can still play. That's the kind of adjusting your brother will probably have to do in his case.

Another example is I have taken up is the hobby of offroad R/C cars. I race them with one hand and usually come in last in the seasonal races but I enjoy the heck out of it.

I like what Katie said. From the sounds of things just be there for your brother right now. He will heal over time, and it never happens as fast as we would like.

joey
joey

June 16th, 2011, 6:27 pm #4

I to agree with Kate and Nate, I does take time, a stong will can move mountains. soon he will start learning that he can and not just can't, alot of it is mental i hate to say, but it's true. I do every I used to and more just to prove to myself that I CAN. I have no use of my left arm and still bow hunt. i just changed over last season to a cross bow, I used to hunt with a left handed bow tech pulling it back w/ my back teeth. still fish, ride horses, paintball, build stuff in shop. some things will be difficult but he will just find away around it and approach it in a different manner. Joey

June 22nd, 2011, 11:41 pm #5

Ok i hardly ever visit this part of the sight, i am now getting five years soon i now have full use of my arm back the hand grip is 89% what it was, hobbies before acedent were work n kids nothing exiting, now the work is hard to come by but hobbies well they turned braw, i reserched my family history uncovered more storys of rouges and vagabonds than i can handel, then i progresed to radio, yes radio i did a training course got in a studio spoke on mic, now i run the show twice weekly, i wouldy have had the confidance to do that before acedent, dont view it as end of his life, its just the start of a new chapter,
Defeat never comes to anyone unless they admit it!!

Do not Let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do!!!

http://minxeszoo.yuku.com

ChristopherRobin
ChristopherRobin

August 26th, 2018, 9:14 pm #6

I have left arm totally useless due to motorcycle accident 37 years ago but have found keeping busy helps to distract me from the BPI usual never ending pain . I was an apprentice HGV engineer until my accident with colliding with a car turning right into my path . My work for past 31 years has been running my own newsagents and general village store , I sort and deliver hundreds of newspapers every morning starting at 4.30am then work in shop . My hobbies are motorcycling on my adapted bikes , a Honda CB 400 Automatic and a Kawasaki KDX 125 ,riding bicycles , playing tennis , table tennis , badminton , darts plus swimming e t c . I suggest trying anything you feel it is worth having a go at .Remember that there is always someone much worse off than yourself and they have to cope . Make the most of what you can do . 

Denis
Denis

August 31st, 2018, 1:11 am #7

I'm a 78 year old who had my brachial plexis injury in a ski accident just before my 66th birthday.  Prior to the injury I was a very active and somewhat successful competitive age class athlete having won alpine ski medals and senior golf championships.  My initial diagnosis was that it was unlikely that I would ever move my arm and may choose a nerve transplant or amputation.  I did not want either and determined that I would live with what I have.  I returned to the ski hill and started to use only one ski pole.  This was good enough to win the Canadian downhill championship age 65-70 three times.  One armed golf was tougher and although I play 3 times a week I am no longer competitive.  I also became more active on my bicycle after getting my left hand shifter switched to the right hand bar.  I have found that slowly, as I kept trying, I have regained some use of my left arm and a bit with my hand, maybe this is just luck but I think determination helps.  Also I have won a few age group cycling races where legs do more of the work. I hope this will encourage your brother to think of what he can do with his handicap rather than things he used to be able to do that are now not possible.  PS, I did a 35 mile ride this morning in just over 2 hours then after lunch pushed my lawnmower around a bigger than average lawn. 

RandallJoseph
RandallJoseph

September 22nd, 2018, 1:18 am #8

Do you use anything to help you ride your bike.?