Dorsal Root Entry Zone (DREZ)Operation

SueBPI89
SueBPI89

June 25th, 2003, 5:44 am #1

Greetings, BPI Friends -
I'm writing to inquire whether any of you have undergone the dorsal root entry zone procedure? I've read Pete's "dreaded drez" post but that is the only one I've seen on this site.
On July 18th I'm scheduled to undergo the operation at UC San Francisco's medical center in California. My BPI was sustained many years ago - in 1989, in fact - and the pain in my hand and arm have never subsided. The injury was a result of a rollover vehicle car accident where I was ejected and the car ultimately came to rest on top of me and my entire right side. In addition to a host of other traumas, my T1 nerve was avulsed and C6-C8 were badly damaged. While most all of my other injuries have healed, the BPI pain has sustained throughout this time, never changing in intensity.
BP exploration surgery in 1989 revealed that a nerve graft wasn't possible though a nerve had already been removed from my leg. I've attempted several stellate ganglion blocks, all to no avail. In 1994 I even underwent brain surgery, while awake, where electrodes were inserted into my brain in an attempt to help disrupt the pain pathway. After eight years without any relief I had the electrodes removed in October of 2002. Like many of you I've also found no relief from medication, acupuncture, accupressure, massage, hypnosis, meditation, whatever. Without attempting this procedure I know the pain will be with me for the duration of my life.
Notwithstanding the known complications of this surgery I've decided to give it a "last resort" shot. My injury was sustained when I was 24; I'm now 38 with much of my life yet to live. While I've certainly gone on in life, have continued my education and now have a good career I know the intensity of the daily pain is wearing on my mental, emotional and physical well-being.
So, all that said, I'm wondering if any of you undergone this procedure? And, if so, what kind of pain relief outcome did you have? Did you experience any additional complications? Most importantly, would you do it again if you had the choice to live over? I'm not sure that any response will alter my intent to have this procedure on 7/18/03 but may serve as some comfort (or may not??)
Thanks for your input,
- Sue

December 31st, 2004, 10:00 pm #2

(This post is missing and can not be restored)

December 31st, 2004, 10:00 pm #3

December 31st, 2004, 10:00 pm #4

December 31st, 2004, 10:00 pm #5

December 31st, 2004, 10:00 pm #6

December 31st, 2004, 10:00 pm #7

December 31st, 2004, 10:00 pm #8

December 31st, 2004, 10:00 pm #9

December 31st, 2004, 10:00 pm #10