5 years ago that fateful day FYI

kev98127
kev98127

July 26th, 2018, 4:17 pm #1

Hi, All the day that changed my life forever.......................................

April 15th 2014, fantastically sunny day and i was off work doing nothing. phone call from my son Dad want to go for a ride,the answer was yes got my gear on and stepped happily onto my KTM DUKE 640 SUPERMOTO best fun bike i have ever ridden by far and i have rode everything being ADI and previously had my own motorcycle workshop that my wife wanted in the divorce.

my son had recently passed his test and i had brought him a gsxr 750, he loved it and very competent rider, however he said steve was coming as pillion on the gsxr
steve was my surrogate son and lived with me for some time as was not friendly with his parents.

I was fully aware my son had NOT had pillion before so we met up and i gave some advise and off we went,  a ride i had done hundreds of times no issues.
All went well on the out.

on return my son signalled me to stop, something wrong with bike dad and he was worried. i looked it was just the baffle rattling around but he didn't want to ride it. 
in my wisdom decided to swap one problem had no rear pegs on ktm so i had a  pillion joy didnt like it this is why no pegs on ktm more than competent just not something i enjoyed, so i led off but my son caught on red light. next thing i remember..................

six days later woke up in Hospital, lots of pain and questions? the first thing i was told is that steve was dead and i was seriously hurt and my son following came across the aftermath horrific for him trying to choose between his best friend and his father anyway steve had died instantly with a burst aorta and i was a mess

suspected tbpi, destroyed my left side all ribs broken,hand detached,elbow described as a box of cornflakes................... anyway a mess

i did have a tbpi left side 3 nerves torn from my spine on top of everything else possible brain injury which sorted itself.
Stanmore here i come total ops 12 by an amazing team up there,

two lots of  resident two week physio at stanmore,this was the first time i met other people with similar injury and was very good for me mentally i wasn't the only one in the world.

to shorten this i was a mess mentally and then the bomb shell 1 year later while undergoing treatment i was arrested for causing death by dangerous driving  !!!

my problem was this steve my dear friend died and i had no memory of what happend and still dont to this day, How can i defend myself in court   ????
thank god i had LEGAL COVER WITH MY INSURANCE ...... 

i have been riding for 30 years never had accident

magistrates court was difficult when they wanted a plea...........i knew  something out ordinary happend so the only plea my heart let me give was NOT GUILTY
my solicitor agreed the magistrate said are you sure ! i replied more firmly NOT GUILTY

3 YEARS PASSED  crown court beckoned  trial 5 days and i had no memory of what happend on that day, even with trying to rover them with a shrink TERRIFIED
is an understatement my £1000.00 an hour barrister paid by insurance was outstanding with very little to use.
we waited....................................................5 hours for verdict...................................................HUNG JURY CASE DISMISSED?????? what does this mean
my barrister was called back in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,prosecution wanted another go ??....................................and apparently they can so again we waited which was like torture in this time lost both my parents as well 6 months later crown court again i have never felt so mentally tortured in my life and nearly went guilty to make it go away,

3 day trial this time jury went out 2hrs later back for decision..................unanimous NOT GUILTY  the relief was incredible and now the money bit which at this very point is still ongoing  watch this space. so i can offer a lot of advice.
my injury's have plateaued  now and are

no deltoid,no rotator cuff, can not lift my left arm,after nerve grafts i have limited bicep which took a long time to get,locked elbow, locked wrist, use of hand but no feeling at all, lost all feeling left side of face & neck. the pain pretty much runs at pain score 7 permanently but used to it now unless it rises,

All this was caused at 18MPH yes 18, car turned right in front of me me and steve went over car towards some grass but there was a street sign in the way 
this in turn killed steve and seriously injured myself'

TOP TIPS

1: ALWAYS HAVE LEGAL COVER ON INSURANCE
2:TAKE ANY HELP OFFERED
3: SEE A SHRINK FOR MENTAL ISSUES THIS SAVED MY LIFE ( I WAS VERY SCEPTICAL BUT AMAZING DO IT)
4: TRUST ME YOU CAN GET YOUR LIFE BACK JUST A DIFFERENT ONE
5: IT DAM HURTS DO NOT TAKE TO MANY DRUGS.....MORPHIATES DO NOT HELP NERVE PAIN  (TREMADOL ETC)
6: CRIMINAL VERDICTS HAVE VERY LITTLE IMPACT ON CIVIL PROCEEDINGS FOR COMPENSATION
7: CRIMINAL---PROSECUTION MUST PROVE...................CIVIL YOU MUST PROVE
8: HYDROTHERAPY WAS AMAZING FOR PAIN RELIEVE AND MORE MOVEMENT RETURNING FOR ME
9 DONT BE SCARED ITS OK TO FEEL SHIT
10: EVERY CHANCE YOU GET GO TO STANMORE

Well thats enough from me im 5 years in April and will be back on my bike by then.

look this injury turns your life upside down and is bloody frightening,its ok to be scared i was suicidel,take the help
offered and just keep fighting you will get back to some normality, this site helped me alot use it

And on a personal note i live in devon just contact me with any questions or fears
i will come to you for moral support if required and in devon dont worry its not over
you think it is it takes time and support.

i will try and help anyone who wants it because i wouldnt be here now without people helping me
mainly by just being there

and now i can lose me phone to find it in my biff Hand................................

Dave m
Dave m

July 31st, 2018, 7:23 pm #2

Hi Kev wow thats one hell of a traumatic journey you've been on doh! Welcome to here and ask anything youwant by the way thegeneral help and support forum is more widely read than this one. Will you be coming to the group meeting at Squires biker cafe this weekend? It would be good to see you if you go, all the best.

Dave

djk
djk

August 6th, 2018, 11:57 am #3

my accident was aug 2010, the 20th this month is 8 years. everybody is sorta different. for instance, morphine [opiates] do help ease my pain. i also take baclofen and gabapentin. good luck to all who have similar injuries in finding what works for you.

01armed
01armed

August 6th, 2018, 2:55 pm #4

kev98127 wrote:Hi, All the day that changed my life forever.......................................

April 15th 2014, fantastically sunny day and i was off work doing nothing. phone call from my son Dad want to go for a ride,the answer was yes got my gear on and stepped happily onto my KTM DUKE 640 SUPERMOTO best fun bike i have ever ridden by far and i have rode everything being ADI and previously had my own motorcycle workshop that my wife wanted in the divorce.

my son had recently passed his test and i had brought him a gsxr 750, he loved it and very competent rider, however he said steve was coming as pillion on the gsxr
steve was my surrogate son and lived with me for some time as was not friendly with his parents.

I was fully aware my son had NOT had pillion before so we met up and i gave some advise and off we went,  a ride i had done hundreds of times no issues.
All went well on the out.

on return my son signalled me to stop, something wrong with bike dad and he was worried. i looked it was just the baffle rattling around but he didn't want to ride it. 
in my wisdom decided to swap one problem had no rear pegs on ktm so i had a  pillion joy didnt like it this is why no pegs on ktm more than competent just not something i enjoyed, so i led off but my son caught on red light. next thing i remember..................

six days later woke up in Hospital, lots of pain and questions? the first thing i was told is that steve was dead and i was seriously hurt and my son following came across the aftermath horrific for him trying to choose between his best friend and his father anyway steve had died instantly with a burst aorta and i was a mess

suspected tbpi, destroyed my left side all ribs broken,hand detached,elbow described as a box of cornflakes................... anyway a mess

i did have a tbpi left side 3 nerves torn from my spine on top of everything else possible brain injury which sorted itself.
Stanmore here i come total ops 12 by an amazing team up there,

two lots of  resident two week physio at stanmore,this was the first time i met other people with similar injury and was very good for me mentally i wasn't the only one in the world.

to shorten this i was a mess mentally and then the bomb shell 1 year later while undergoing treatment i was arrested for causing death by dangerous driving  !!!

my problem was this steve my dear friend died and i had no memory of what happend and still dont to this day, How can i defend myself in court   ????
thank god i had LEGAL COVER WITH MY INSURANCE ...... 

i have been riding for 30 years never had accident

magistrates court was difficult when they wanted a plea...........i knew  something out ordinary happend so the only plea my heart let me give was NOT GUILTY
my solicitor agreed the magistrate said are you sure ! i replied more firmly NOT GUILTY

3 YEARS PASSED  crown court beckoned  trial 5 days and i had no memory of what happend on that day, even with trying to rover them with a shrink TERRIFIED
is an understatement my £1000.00 an hour barrister paid by insurance was outstanding with very little to use.
we waited....................................................5 hours for verdict...................................................HUNG JURY CASE DISMISSED?????? what does this mean
my barrister was called back in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,prosecution wanted another go ??....................................and apparently they can so again we waited which was like torture in this time lost both my parents as well 6 months later crown court again i have never felt so mentally tortured in my life and nearly went guilty to make it go away,

3 day trial this time jury went out 2hrs later back for decision..................unanimous NOT GUILTY  the relief was incredible and now the money bit which at this very point is still ongoing  watch this space. so i can offer a lot of advice.
my injury's have plateaued  now and are

no deltoid,no rotator cuff, can not lift my left arm,after nerve grafts i have limited bicep which took a long time to get,locked elbow, locked wrist, use of hand but no feeling at all, lost all feeling left side of face & neck. the pain pretty much runs at pain score 7 permanently but used to it now unless it rises,

All this was caused at 18MPH yes 18, car turned right in front of me me and steve went over car towards some grass but there was a street sign in the way 
this in turn killed steve and seriously injured myself'

TOP TIPS

1: ALWAYS HAVE LEGAL COVER ON INSURANCE
2:TAKE ANY HELP OFFERED
3: SEE A SHRINK FOR MENTAL ISSUES THIS SAVED MY LIFE ( I WAS VERY SCEPTICAL BUT AMAZING DO IT)
4: TRUST ME YOU CAN GET YOUR LIFE BACK JUST A DIFFERENT ONE
5: IT DAM HURTS DO NOT TAKE TO MANY DRUGS.....MORPHIATES DO NOT HELP NERVE PAIN  (TREMADOL ETC)
6: CRIMINAL VERDICTS HAVE VERY LITTLE IMPACT ON CIVIL PROCEEDINGS FOR COMPENSATION
7: CRIMINAL---PROSECUTION MUST PROVE...................CIVIL YOU MUST PROVE
8: HYDROTHERAPY WAS AMAZING FOR PAIN RELIEVE AND MORE MOVEMENT RETURNING FOR ME
9 DONT BE SCARED ITS OK TO FEEL SHIT
10: EVERY CHANCE YOU GET GO TO STANMORE

Well thats enough from me im 5 years in April and will be back on my bike by then.

look this injury turns your life upside down and is bloody frightening,its ok to be scared i was suicidel,take the help
offered and just keep fighting you will get back to some normality, this site helped me alot use it

And on a personal note i live in devon just contact me with any questions or fears
i will come to you for moral support if required and in devon dont worry its not over
you think it is it takes time and support.

i will try and help anyone who wants it because i wouldnt be here now without people helping me
mainly by just being there

and now i can lose me phone to find it in my biff Hand................................
I lost all 5 nerves so I have the added benefit of not sweating on my left upper quadrant. I also dont remember, was out 17 days, hospital 8 wks. Rearended at my 75mph to her 125 mph. She drove away never to be seen. No court for me. $3.5M in hospital bills covered by insurance. Been to Mayo Clinic, no help.

My best advice: Live your life.
Sorry for your son and what he had to see.
Also, sorry for Steve.

kev98127
kev98127

August 8th, 2018, 7:24 pm #5

wow your lucky at that speed friend but shite that is a heavty hospital bill, we forget how lucky we our in uk
and great advice live your life