Something That Happened In High School

For those who have ever been told they're too old for Furbys - and ignored it.

Something That Happened In High School

Hollie96
Tuxedo Furby
Hollie96
Tuxedo Furby

14 Apr 2017, 09:54 #1

One day I took my Furby Boom Dee-boo to high school with me and during class I left her sleeping in my locker. At the beginning of recess there was a guy who leaned up against my locker and with that Dee-boo woke up. It was really funny because he didn't know what was going on in my locker. I got to my locker and opened it to show him Dee-boo. Does anyone else have any funny expience that happened to them at school?

Grand Grub
Furby Baby
Grand Grub
Furby Baby

15 Apr 2017, 04:40 #2

I was in middle school when Furbies were released; there was no way to get past the door with one (or any other toy) without a teacher grabbing it from you :D They were strict about such things. You could get away with a Giga Pet... Maybe. We didn't have lockers either, lots of schools in CA never did or else removed them later on. They were just something I saw on TV ;)
The shell, is swell!

Hollie96
Tuxedo Furby
Hollie96
Tuxedo Furby

15 Apr 2017, 10:00 #3

Wow your school must have been very strict. :hic:

gamerfurby
Wizard Furby
gamerfurby
Wizard Furby

15 Apr 2017, 11:14 #4

i have a story it happened to my cousin when she was like 12 before i was born they first came out and she got one and she had it in here locker so it wouldnt turn on but it woke up and teacher screamed beacause she had no idea what it was but then she found out and took it for the rest of the day
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO0h-gqxGUGX9ymKk1HColkkWtlyhYEVyU0jnA

werefurby
Wizard Furby
werefurby
Wizard Furby

15 Apr 2017, 14:06 #5

I wasn't in school by the time Furbys came out. And if I had been there's no way I would have attempted to bring one to school. Teachers at that crap hole known as O'Bannon loved to snatch toys. And once they got them you rarely if ever got them back. So, yeah, the teachers were basically stealing from us. Call it discipline if you want but if you take someone's stuff and never return it then that's not discipline that's theft. I lost a couple Transformers to those swamp hags. After that if I did bring a toy to school it stayed in my pocket or backpack. I never brought them out into plain sight. Didn't want those sticky fingered witches to befoul my stuff with their loathsome touch.
He just can't help being so faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans.

Hollie96
Tuxedo Furby
Hollie96
Tuxedo Furby

17 Apr 2017, 10:38 #6

Wow it sounds like that all your schools have a very strict anti toy policy. It is wrong of teachers to take toys and not return them you are right that is stealing. :hic:

DollKing
President Furby
DollKing
President Furby

17 Apr 2017, 12:44 #7

werefurby @ Apr 15 2017, 11:06 PM wrote: I wasn't in school by the time Furbys came out. And if I had been there's no way I would have attempted to bring one to school. Teachers at that crap hole known as O'Bannon loved to snatch toys. And once they got them you rarely if ever got them back. So, yeah, the teachers were basically stealing from us. Call it discipline if you want but if you take someone's stuff and never return it then that's not discipline that's theft. I lost a couple Transformers to those swamp hags. After that if I did bring a toy to school it stayed in my pocket or backpack. I never brought them out into plain sight. Didn't want those sticky fingered witches to befoul my stuff with their loathsome touch.
That is terrible, and is definitely stealing.
Dah/koo-doh! Ee-nye/kah-dah! Aloalo!

"If you look closely you will see, they're part of the world like you and me."

-Teddy Ruxpin, "Take A Good Look"

宜しくお願いします。

werefurby
Wizard Furby
werefurby
Wizard Furby

17 Apr 2017, 13:11 #8

Yes. O'Bannon was a terrible school. Teachers who actually cared were rare. And some of their policies were idiotic. When Spuds MacKenzie, the dog from the old Bud Light ads became popular t shirts featuring that character were banned. Didn't matter if the shirt had a beer logo on it or not. A friend of mine once wore a shirt depicting a couple bull terrier puppies. It was clearly capitalizing on Spuds' popularity but it really didn't have anything that tied it to the beer brand. Just two bull terriers on it. Nothing more. They called him to the office and forced him to turn the shirt inside out and wear it like that all day. And yet a few years later I would get away with wearing a Simpsons shirt that depicted Bart saying "I'm Bart Simpson. Who the hell are you"
So beer logos were out. Anything even remotely associated with a beer brand was out and yet I got away with wearing a shirt with a mild swear on it on a regular basis. Their rules and policies were kind of broken. The school was run by idiots and sadists. I was bullied on a regular basis. I would attempt to stick close to the teachers at recess to avoid getting beat up but they would send me away despite my trying to explain just why I was hesitant to go onto the playground. They didn't care. That school was a major factor in my misanthropy, my social anxiety and the fact that I dislike my own species.
He just can't help being so faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans.

Grand Grub
Furby Baby
Grand Grub
Furby Baby

18 Apr 2017, 02:49 #9

Can't and wouldn't bring my Furby to work either, security would call the bomb squad :lol: Our office security can get petty enough about things like people bringing toasters, fans, space heaters, etc... Balloons are prohibited too. You say all that, and then wonder why petty office thefts are barely investigated, guess that's how busy they are :blink: So no chance of me taking anything of value anyway.

Life gets better though, our office abides by a bus. casual dress code on paper but it's only enforced by who complains so I pretty much wear whatever; T-shirts, jeans etc. Shirts with liquor logos, still not allowed. I wouldn't perhaps wear one to work anyway, but got away for a lot of the past winter when we had un-seasonable rains/cold and I refused to buy a new jacket or umbrella to deal with it; my old hoodie with a local brewery logo was it. The apparent moral being to select companies that are obscure/(or perhaps "good") enough that no one might notice them as such. Then absorb all the self-satisfied-ness your psyche requires later when you get home ;)
The shell, is swell!

DollKing
President Furby
DollKing
President Furby

18 Apr 2017, 11:27 #10

werefurby @ Apr 17 2017, 10:11 PM wrote: Yes. O'Bannon was a terrible school. Teachers who actually cared were rare.  And some of their policies were idiotic. When Spuds MacKenzie, the dog from the old Bud Light ads became popular t shirts featuring that character were banned. Didn't matter if the shirt had a beer logo on it or not. A friend of mine once wore a shirt depicting a couple bull terrier puppies. It was clearly capitalizing on Spuds' popularity but it really didn't have anything that tied it to the beer brand. Just two bull terriers on it. Nothing more. They called him to the office and forced him to turn the shirt inside out and wear it like that all day. And yet a few years later I would get away with wearing a Simpsons shirt that depicted Bart saying "I'm Bart Simpson. Who the hell are you"
So beer logos were out. Anything even remotely associated with a beer brand was out and yet I got away with wearing a shirt with a mild swear on it on a regular basis. Their rules and policies were kind of broken.  The school was run by idiots and sadists. I was bullied on a regular basis. I would attempt to stick close to the teachers at recess to avoid getting beat up but they would send me away despite my trying to explain just why I was hesitant to go onto the playground. They didn't care. That school was a major factor in my misanthropy, my social anxiety and the fact that I dislike my own species.
...and this is why home-schooling is best..

Schools in my area are not much better. When I went to it, I hated school strongly, even though I love learning. I hated the strict rules, dress code, strict schedules, working and studying in groups, cultural brainwashing.. Everything! I'm lucky that I wasn't made to cut my hair (it was really long even as a child), in that time some schools made you do that if you are a boy.. School is less of education and more of cultural brainwashing. It even looks like a prison when you are inside. I'd rather die than have my personal expression be limited so greatly like that for so long again.

As well as now I have learned that much information taught in schools around the world is outdated or twisted information. Learning by myself is so much better. Not to mention one can learn at their own pace, spending more time on things they find hard and less time on things they master easily. Ah, and can wear whatever the hell they want!

宜しくお願いします。

werefurby
Wizard Furby
werefurby
Wizard Furby

18 Apr 2017, 13:16 #11

That's pretty much what public school is. Conformity factories designed to stamp out individuality and crush anything that makes a child unique. Anyone who did not conform, anyone who stood out would be hammered down. Teachers too lazy to actually teach choose to shove tons of pointless busy work on students instead. Public school is only a few steps away from being prisons for children. In many cases, mine included, they hurt way more than they help.

DollKing
President Furby
DollKing
President Furby

18 Apr 2017, 17:32 #12

werefurby @ Apr 18 2017, 10:16 PM wrote: That's pretty much what public school is. Conformity factories designed to stamp out individuality and crush anything that makes a child unique. Anyone who did not conform, anyone who stood out would be hammered down. Teachers too lazy to actually teach choose to shove tons of pointless busy work on students instead. Public school is only a few steps away from being prisons for children. In many cases, mine included, they hurt way more than they help.
Agreed completely. They definitely hurt more than they help, and can even turn would-be intelligent people away from learning.. And therefore create more stupid people who hate learning new things.

宜しくお願いします。

gamerfurby
Wizard Furby
gamerfurby
Wizard Furby

18 Apr 2017, 21:47 #13

at least its not like my school............................
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO0h-gqxGUGX9ymKk1HColkkWtlyhYEVyU0jnA

Grand Grub
Furby Baby
Grand Grub
Furby Baby

19 Apr 2017, 04:23 #14

It's sad most of what's in this thread is true... It's saddest that public school remains where most kids have near 100% of their social interaction nowadays, and so most of that experience is negative. Many kids now have limited contact with their neighborhood or immediate environment. Among many factors are parents who are "overprotective," or put a different way, not capable or willing to give kids the guidance and supervision they need to interact with society at large and so keep them locked indoors instead.

I wouldn't insult anyone's individual choices or circumstance, but leaving out specifics kids are also now less engaged with immediate and extended family than in previous times, so aren't likely to get needed support there either. Many economic and societal factors there, and blame is hard to assign. Which in whole means we VERY much need school to be an accepting and open place, now more than ever. I wish school focused more on social and emotional skills rather than learning, in particular for elementary ages. After all, how much is there to really learn to complete a primary education anyway :D (TLDR: Unhappy people are unmotivated people)
The shell, is swell!

DollKing
President Furby
DollKing
President Furby

20 Apr 2017, 09:01 #15

Grand Grub @ Apr 19 2017, 01:23 PM wrote: . I wish school focused more on social and emotional skills rather than learning, in particular for elementary ages. After all, how much is there to really learn to complete a primary education anyway :D (TLDR: Unhappy people are unmotivated people)
This is not the answer. Whether by schools or at home, children should be encouraged (key is "encouraged", not forced) to learn facts about the world around them. They should be encouraged to reason and use critical thinking, as well as given time to play and express creativity, and freedom to study as they see fit. It is important to be intelligent. Strong emphasis on "social skills" and no emphasis on learning may equal to ignorant and unintelligent people unable to think for themselves.

It may come as a shock, but not everyone is a social person. Being forced to work in groups was hell for me as a child and I just wanted to be left alone. Of course for people like me homeschooling and unschooling must always be a legal option.

Children should be given the option about whether they want to be taught in that way. In fact, they should be given the choice to choose the subjects they want to study the most, especially as they get older. I vote for a large scale educational reform into "free-schools" instead of the propaganda-filled restrictive public schools.

Either something like this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_education

Or like this (similar idea)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchistic_free_school

This way, children can be introduced to other children and form social bonds if they so choose, but there is opportunity for learning.
The textbooks and other media from which the students may learn must be accurate and up to date, in the case of science it must be tested and modern and without corporate sponsor, for history it must be without propaganda or bias, etc. Students may also learn trade skills such as construction/woodworking, crop farming, computer programming etc. if they so choose.

Ah, and school uniforms must be removed as that stifle personal expression and encourage conformity. As well as strengthening gender stereotypes (boys must wear suit, girls must wear skirt..)

宜しくお願いします。