Odd/Broken Playoff System

Odd/Broken Playoff System

uNHL Commissioner
uNHL Commissioner

July 24th, 2018, 5:44 pm #1

Hey.

So thanks to some forum help I managed to get playoffs started though I looked way back in the forum and noticed others have had this same problem for a while now.    

Also, it seems the playoff seeding tree doesn't work the same as the NHL's which is a problem only in that we can't set our own 2nd and 3rd round (the final has a Switch Home Ice option which is good thinking).

For instance:  In the NHL, and based on the below standings, the brackets would be as such:

Bracket 1
Detroit against the 8th seed in the East
Tampa Bay hosting Buffalo
-- the winners of these games face off against each other

Bracket 2
NY Rangers against the 7th seed in the East
Carolina hosting the Caps

Standings.PNG

I tried inputting teams in the Seedings based on points only but that did not get the right matchups.  So, I had to juggle the order of input.

Playoff Tree.PNG

To get the matchups, I had to enter the Seedings out of order (TB had more points than Carolina for instance).  This poses a potential problem for the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I simmed a few series to show an example of how this poses a problem.

2nd round.PNG In the case above, Montreal should play Tampa Bay.  Unfortunately, I haven't found a way for the user to change the bracket once the playoffs are started.  Does anybody know of a way?

The other option is to input Seedings based on points ignoring the divisional alignment of teams but then the first round matchups are off.

Does anybody know a work around?

I unchecked the Re-Seed Between Rounds and was met with similarly odd playoff matchups.

2nd round 2.PNG
Why would the NY Islanders get home ice advantage over Carolina?  

In short, I'm confused.  Can anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Trevor

saabjaab
saabjaab

July 26th, 2018, 10:21 pm #2

uNHL Commissioner wrote: Hey.

So thanks to some forum help I managed to get playoffs started though I looked way back in the forum and noticed others have had this same problem for a while now.    

Also, it seems the playoff seeding tree doesn't work the same as the NHL's which is a problem only in that we can't set our own 2nd and 3rd round (the final has a Switch Home Ice option which is good thinking).

For instance:  In the NHL, and based on the below standings, the brackets would be as such:

Bracket 1
Detroit against the 8th seed in the East
Tampa Bay hosting Buffalo

Bracket 2
NY Rangers against the 7th seed in the East
Carolina hosting the Caps

Standings.PNG

I tried inputting teams in the Seedings based on points only but that did not get the right matchups.  So, I had to juggle the order of input.

Playoff Tree.PNG

To get the matchups, I had to enter the Seedings out of order (TB had more points than Carolina for instance).  This poses a potential problem for the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I simmed a few series to show an example of how this poses a problem.

2nd round.PNGIn the case above, Montreal should play Tampa Bay.  Unfortunately, I haven't found a way for the user to change the bracket once the playoffs are started.  Does anybody know of a way?

The other option is to input Seedings based on points ignoring the divisional alignment of teams but then the first round matchups are off.

Does anybody know a work around?

I unchecked the Re-Seed Between Rounds and was met with similarly odd playoff matchups.

2nd round 2.PNG
Why would the NY Islanders get home ice advantage over Carolina?  

In short, I'm confused.  Can anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Trevor
Sadly this is one glaring weakness to a GREAT game.  The playoff tree needs to be manual for every round to be honest with you for many reasons since the playoff systems have changed generationally.  I need to make a manual schedule for my playoffs.  

uNHL Commissioner
uNHL Commissioner

July 26th, 2018, 11:15 pm #3

saabjaab wrote:

Sadly this is one glaring weakness to a GREAT game.  The playoff tree needs to be manual for every round to be honest with you for many reasons since the playoff systems have changed generationally.  I need to make a manual schedule for my playoffs.  
Interesting.  So you just create a regular season schedule then?  That's a workaround for us.  

What happens then to playoff scoring, does it reset after every round?

More importantly - why hasn't the dev addressed this already?  

Gerry58
Gerry58

July 27th, 2018, 10:01 am #4

Same here, the only way to make it work is manually create matchups and uncheck reseeds between rounds

saabjaab
saabjaab

July 27th, 2018, 11:45 am #5

Just make sure when you make a manual playoff schedule that you go to the rules and check the boxes for both the playoffs and regular season to make continuous  SD overtime at 20 minutes

saabjaab
saabjaab

July 27th, 2018, 11:47 am #6

The playoff tree was designed for (and work great for) the NHL playoff system where it went by conference only,  not the current one of the old 1-4 divisionally style