I like to see in the next football game

gdf82
gdf82

9:36 PM - Jul 19, 2018 #1

I was watching college football games in the 70's on you tube. I like to see in the game the power i set and a slot back or wingback formation. I just think it add to the college game. 

RedWings2011
RedWings2011

3:30 AM - Jul 21, 2018 #2

I'd love to see some additional formations, especially for older seasons as well, gdf82!  The power I you mentioned was a staple of the Chiefs' offense under Hank Stram. I was watching the telecast of Super Bowl IV on YouTube a few weeks ago and the Chiefs often either 1.) came out in that formation but shifted out into a second formation - or 2.) lined up in the power i and ran the play.  It was a potent formation for sweeps and mis-direction runs - on sweeps having two backfield blockers in addition to pulling linemen made a formidable platoon of interference ahead of the ball carrier.  It was a good formation to run screens out of as well.

As for slot/wing back - you can approximate these formation (if you are coaching) by using a two-back set and setting one of your RBs to line up wide.  He essentially becomes a wing back.  You must be coaching, however, as it is not, in and of itself, a pre-set formation.

On defense, I'd love to see (as pre-sets) TRUE replicas of:  1.) the Chief's old 4-3 "stack" formation, as well as the over/under formation the Chiefs popularized (and it became widely used in the 70s as a 4-3 alternative to the 3-4) .... and 2.) the '84-86 Bears' "46" defense.  I think the problem is lining up two outside backers on the same side of the formation might be a programming headache. (setting up a 4-4, eight in the box is a close approximation, but it doesn't account for shifting the linemen, lining up the two outside backers to the same side and correctly positioning the strong safety and the MLB.)  -- if I remember correctly, didn't Buddy Ryan usually line up a DL over the tight end and put Otis Wilson and Wilbur Marshall together on the weak side and position Singletary and Duerson as essentially "twin" inside backers?

AzApaches
AzApaches

4:37 AM - Jul 21, 2018 #3

As just a purely cosmetic request for the video chalkboard

I would like to see the RB next to the QB & not behind him in the shotgun, In the pistol the RB looks realistic directly behind the QB 
it would also clearly differentiate the 2 formations shotgun and pistol 

gdf82
gdf82

2:53 PM - Jul 21, 2018 #4

Yes i believe your right Red. I know you can shift a rb in the t formation like a wingback . The only running play you can run using the wingback is a end around but i like there be other plays the wingback can run like wing back trap or a counter play using the wingback. I also like to see the flex bone or double wing formation for the new college teams like GA Tech, Army and Navy. 

AzApaches
AzApaches

11:01 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #5

Here is a future consideration football option for the shotgun formation and could be a switchable option to create coverage matchups by putting the RB to the left or right of the QB

Shotgun

QB   RB    or swap to switch coverage matchups from strong side to weakside

RB   QB    left side position 

Pistol

QB

RB

If your looking for options for future upgrades I think these merit discussion and add depth to matchups which are everything

RedWings2011
RedWings2011

2:52 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #6

Another idea for additional formations, play options:

An "inverse" shot gun w a direct snap to a RB. This appears to be the basic formation used in the "Philly Special", the "Philly Philly" and the "Cleveland Special". Even tho those 3 plays are essentially the the same play (as well as the one the Patriots used in the SB and Denver used to run when John Elway would end up as the receiver) it would be nice to see all the variations possible for this play and formation.

Also the lateral pass to the WR who then throws downfield, used recently by the Vikings, is a classic play used occasionally over the decades. Would love to see that in the mix.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RedWings2011
RedWings2011

3:14 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #7

Also... would love to see special teams rare but spectacular plays such as "The Memphis Miracle" or "The Play" from the '82 Stanford-Cal game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk