Get Your Kicks with 66 - 2018 Hoops Request List of Enhancements, Fixes & Upgrades

yowzersus.planetshark
Registered User
Joined: November 22nd, 2010, 1:32 am

May 6th, 2018, 2:54 am #11

daleyu wrote: 1. Ability to batch import multiple players at once for custom created leagues
-currently, you have to click on a season, then a team, and then 1 player at a time in order to import a player to a custom league.  This is cumbersome.  

-perhaps a database where you can see every player you own all at once (without needing to click on different seasons) would then allow us to batch select players we want to import onto a custom team.

-I don't know if any of the other games have easier way to import players or not.  If so, perhaps a more efficient import system can be incorporated

2. Ability to cut and paste stats to create and edit players

-currently, you have to manually input each stat individually and that can be tiresome when homebrewing players

3. Hotkeys -100% agree regarding ability to customize, OR making sure hot keys are not shared between actions.

-My biggest hotkey issue is that alt-P is valid for "pass" and for "cpu" options so you have to toggle between both.  There should be separate hot keys for these.  

-Personally, I would make "pass" alt-A so that you only need to use your left hand to use the other main hotkeys of shoot (alt-s), drive (alt-d), continue (alt-c).  

-allow us to change "Ok" (a very common command in the game) to alt-Z (or something on the left hand side of the keyboard) to allow for 1 hand hotkey use as described above

-There should be hotkeys for free throws and timeout

4.  Intro music as on/off option - not a huge deal for me but seems easy enough to add if other Action games have it.  Hearing the "NBA on TNT" theme song would be a treat whenever opening the game.
I have to say, any button that's hotkeyed should a) have a letter underline in it's title so you know the button is mapped to a shortcut, and b) not share hotkeys between multiple buttons.

BTW, I just randomly hit Alt + R in-game, and the "Reports" dropdown at the top left of the screen was activated. Okay, but I'm not feeling random hotkeys. How was I - or any user - supposed to know this exists? And it begs the question, what other random hotkeys are there? There should be some kind of directory... maybe a dropdown, or page in the manual, or a tab or something, I don't know.

I'm guessing you sent these suggestions to Action HQ direct, yes?
Quote
Like
Share

daleyu
Registered User
daleyu
Registered User
Joined: September 25th, 2011, 11:20 pm

May 6th, 2018, 4:52 am #12

yes, i sent off an email to dksports also as per your suggestion

another thing that comes to mind is a dynamic fatigue option which factors in "back-to-back" game schedules, perhaps distance of travel for road teams, and/or automatically increases a bench player minutes when a starter gets injured.  Also, if you "rest" your starters during a blowout, it would be cool if they were available for longer minutes in the next game.

also, for playoff games, perhaps there could be a general option which allows the gameplayer to increase starter(s) minutes (5/10/15%) and decrease bench player(s) minutes correspondingly.  If this could be a generic setting, it would beat having to individually adjust minutes for all the different players during the playoffs (that's the only current method I'm aware of to do this)
Quote
Like
Share

SlyBelle
Registered User
SlyBelle
Registered User
Joined: February 26th, 2008, 6:33 pm

May 6th, 2018, 8:21 am #13

yowzersus.planetshark wrote: BTW, I just randomly hit Alt + R in-game, and the "Reports" dropdown at the top left of the screen was activated. Okay, but I'm not feeling random hotkeys. How was I - or any user - supposed to know this exists? And it begs the question, what other random hotkeys are there? There should be some kind of directory... maybe a dropdown, or page in the manual, or a tab or something, I don't know.
Yes, for access keys it would be great to document their availability visually on the screen with an underlined character, help screen, or user screen.  Although the only ones that should need documenting in help/manual are ones that don't have an on screen indicator such as the underscore.  No argument here.

But with that said, the general use of access keys and how they work have been in existence ever since the early days of the Windows operating system.  Any Windows application (including APC) get the default behavior of these things and are expected to follow the general design guidelines recommended by Microsoft.  Those standards were implemented so that users of every Windows application would have a similar experience without needing to be trained all the time and for consistency sake.   For example, pressing the ALT key alone will activate the menu bar in any Windows application unless the developer has overridden its behavior (which they shouldn't).  And then typically a letter of the top level menu gets assigned a character so the user can quickly access that set of menu options without pointing and clicking.  So in your case when you pressed ALT+R, it really is the right behavior to display the REPORTS sub menu like you experienced.  But I do agree in those cases, the "R" in the menu should have been underscored, maybe just an oversight. If you look at the home screen of the game, you'll notice the underlined characters do exist for top level menus.
Quote
Like
Share

radio123
Registered User
radio123
Registered User
Joined: November 2nd, 2012, 2:32 pm

May 6th, 2018, 3:58 pm #14

Extremely well thought out list as always. I especially like the PBP suggestions. I'm a radio PBP guy by trade, so that adds a lot to the game for me. 

I'll add my two cents worth. Improve the fatigue system. Any player should be able to play a certain amount of minutes without becoming fatigued. If a guy played three minutes per game in real life, it's not because he got tired, it's because he wasn't any good. The current system doesn't deal well with players who played a lot of minutes being out with an injury. Example, Dave Cowens one year in the 70s, played about 42 minutes per game, but missed 15 games with an injury. How can you play those 15 games when your starting center is rated to play six minutes?  
Quote
Like
Share

yowzersus.planetshark
Registered User
Joined: November 22nd, 2010, 1:32 am

May 7th, 2018, 4:39 pm #15

daleyu wrote: yes, i sent off an email to dksports also as per your suggestion

another thing that comes to mind is a dynamic fatigue option which factors in "back-to-back" game schedules, perhaps distance of travel for road teams, and/or automatically increases a bench player minutes when a starter gets injured.  Also, if you "rest" your starters during a blowout, it would be cool if they were available for longer minutes in the next game.

also, for playoff games, perhaps there could be a general option which allows the gameplayer to increase starter(s) minutes (5/10/15%) and decrease bench player(s) minutes correspondingly.  If this could be a generic setting, it would beat having to individually adjust minutes for all the different players during the playoffs (that's the only current method I'm aware of to do this)
I like it! Send 'em to Action HQ.
Quote
Like
Share

yowzersus.planetshark
Registered User
Joined: November 22nd, 2010, 1:32 am

May 7th, 2018, 4:57 pm #16

SlyBelle wrote:
yowzersus.planetshark wrote: BTW, I just randomly hit Alt + R in-game, and the "Reports" dropdown at the top left of the screen was activated. Okay, but I'm not feeling random hotkeys. How was I - or any user - supposed to know this exists? And it begs the question, what other random hotkeys are there? There should be some kind of directory... maybe a dropdown, or page in the manual, or a tab or something, I don't know.
Yes, for access keys it would be great to document their availability visually on the screen with an underlined character, help screen, or user screen.  Although the only ones that should need documenting in help/manual are ones that don't have an on screen indicator such as the underscore.  No argument here.

But with that said, the general use of access keys and how they work have been in existence ever since the early days of the Windows operating system.  Any Windows application (including APC) get the default behavior of these things and are expected to follow the general design guidelines recommended by Microsoft.  Those standards were implemented so that users of every Windows application would have a similar experience without needing to be trained all the time and for consistency sake.   For example, pressing the ALT key alone will activate the menu bar in any Windows application unless the developer has overridden its behavior (which they shouldn't).  And then typically a letter of the top level menu gets assigned a character so the user can quickly access that set of menu options without pointing and clicking.  So in your case when you pressed ALT+R, it really is the right behavior to display the REPORTS sub menu like you experienced.  But I do agree in those cases, the "R" in the menu should have been underscored, maybe just an oversight. If you look at the home screen of the game, you'll notice the underlined characters do exist for top level menus.
Thanks for the explanation, sounds goods. Can you tell I'm not much of an ALT + user outside (or inside) the game?

Revised suggestion: Every item that's hot-keyed should have an underscore then (for example, all of the options in the top level menus), if only for consistency's sake. Start with top level menus and their dropdown items. No point in underlining some and not others that are active.Put a line in the manual (if it's not already there) that indicates to/reminds users that ALT+ keys are active and available and indicated with an underscore.
Quote
Like
Share

yowzersus.planetshark
Registered User
Joined: November 22nd, 2010, 1:32 am

May 7th, 2018, 5:12 pm #17

radio123 wrote: Extremely well thought out list as always. I especially like the PBP suggestions. I'm a radio PBP guy by trade, so that adds a lot to the game for me. 

I'll add my two cents worth. Improve the fatigue system. Any player should be able to play a certain amount of minutes without becoming fatigued. If a guy played three minutes per game in real life, it's not because he got tired, it's because he wasn't any good. The current system doesn't deal well with players who played a lot of minutes being out with an injury. Example, Dave Cowens one year in the 70s, played about 42 minutes per game, but missed 15 games with an injury. How can you play those 15 games when your starting center is rated to play six minutes?  
Hey, that's real cool and sounds like a fun gig!

If you weren't aware, I'm the guy who's released a couple of custom pbp files for the game over the years, and I intend to do another one in the next few months depending. I'm awaiting HQ feedback as to whether there will be any changes to how the default pbp file works before I get too far into it (I've done some preliminary prep work). If it is a go, I'll probably ask the community for volunteers to help put it together.

I also compiled (and continue to compile) the AMG PlaybyPlaybook in Word format, which includes all of the pbp from Action's default hoop file, contributions from the community at large, lines scraped from TV/Radio/Newpapers/Internet, and my own material. It's up to 74 pages long and 34,000 words. I can send it to you- I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, and of course welcome any lines you'd care to send my way. Let me know if this is something that interests you.

Good suggestions... as always, also e-mail them direct to Action HQ, if you haven't already.
Quote
Like
Share

ehlomint
Registered User
ehlomint
Registered User
Joined: February 25th, 2018, 12:35 pm

May 10th, 2018, 1:02 am #18

yowzersus.planetshark wrote:
radio123 wrote: Extremely well thought out list as always. I especially like the PBP suggestions. I'm a radio PBP guy by trade, so that adds a lot to the game for me. 

I'll add my two cents worth. Improve the fatigue system. Any player should be able to play a certain amount of minutes without becoming fatigued. If a guy played three minutes per game in real life, it's not because he got tired, it's because he wasn't any good. The current system doesn't deal well with players who played a lot of minutes being out with an injury. Example, Dave Cowens one year in the 70s, played about 42 minutes per game, but missed 15 games with an injury. How can you play those 15 games when your starting center is rated to play six minutes?  
Hey, that's real cool and sounds like a fun gig!

If you weren't aware, I'm the guy who's released a couple of custom pbp files for the game over the years, and I intend to do another one in the next few months depending. I'm awaiting HQ feedback as to whether there will be any changes to how the default pbp file works before I get too far into it (I've done some preliminary prep work). If it is a go, I'll probably ask the community for volunteers to help put it together.

I also compiled (and continue to compile) the AMG PlaybyPlaybook in Word format, which includes all of the pbp from Action's default hoop file, contributions from the community at large, lines scraped from TV/Radio/Newpapers/Internet, and my own material. It's up to 74 pages long and 34,000 words. I can send it to you- I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, and of course welcome any lines you'd care to send my way. Let me know if this is something that interests you.

Good suggestions... as always, also e-mail them direct to Action HQ, if you haven't already.
Hey yowsers, send me that play by play Word file you have sounds cool.   Send to ehlomint at gmail dot com
Quote
Like
Share

LBWood
Registered User
LBWood
Registered User
Joined: April 16th, 2013, 12:37 pm

May 13th, 2018, 12:21 pm #19

If even the current season came with daily lineups already entered, like with the baseball seasons for the past several decades, it would save me a lot of time when doing as-played replays.

The most recent version of the game that I can play college seasons without getting a run-time error is Basketball 2014. I hope that gets fixed.
Quote
Like
Share

yowzersus.planetshark
Registered User
Joined: November 22nd, 2010, 1:32 am

May 13th, 2018, 1:47 pm #20

LBWood wrote: If even the current season came with daily lineups already entered, like with the baseball seasons for the past several decades, it would save me a lot of time when doing as-played replays.

The most recent version of the game that I can play college seasons without getting a run-time error is Basketball 2014. I hope that gets fixed.
Most excellent. If you haven't already, shoot Action HQ an e-mail and let them know direct.
Quote
Like
Share