fun article: gone-but-not-forgotten-golf-courses-and-events-we-wish-were-still-on-tv

fjs0808
fjs0808

10:17 AM - Aug 09, 2018 #1

Fun article.. I think in line with some of the other discussions here on the board. 
Just for kicks and giggles.

https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/go ... till-on-tv

samjjones
samjjones

11:38 AM - Aug 09, 2018 #2

I wouldn't be surprised to see at least a couple of those pop up in the future.

Star56
Star56

8:20 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #3

Bring back the Mac Davis Invitational!

nep74
nep74

8:53 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #4

Looks like that Tiger vrs Phil match will be Thanksgiving weekend. It will be played at Shadow Creek,  which has never been on tv before. I do not have much interest in the match, but I am interested in seeing the golf course.

samjjones
samjjones

9:30 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #5

nep74 wrote: Looks like that Tiger vrs Phil match will be Thanksgiving weekend. It will be played at Shadow Creek,  which has never been on tv before. I do not have much interest in the match, but I am interested in seeing the golf course.
Thanks to shimwooley, you can already play Shadow Creek.

Star56
Star56

9:58 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #6

nep74 wrote: Looks like that Tiger vrs Phil match will be Thanksgiving weekend. It will be played at Shadow Creek,  which has never been on tv before. I do not have much interest in the match, but I am interested in seeing the golf course.
Imagine if it was at Pine Valley. Viewership would be through the roof.

fjs0808
fjs0808

10:46 AM - Aug 11, 2018 #7

Another article:

https://18birdies.com/clubhouse/news-en ... 5583385424

Article says Jack turns 85 in 2 years. Gary Player does, but Jack was born in 1940.  

Grognard
Grognard

1:44 AM - Aug 19, 2018 #8

Everything today has become way too corporate.  It used to be about promoting the city, the event and often using a celebrity to give it more attention.  Today faceless corporation run the show and for me, that is not a good thing.  In fact, there are very few characters on tour anymore like Arnie, Chi Chi, Trevino, Fuzzy and others who brought some humor and personality to the game.  Today players hide behind their caps, look way too serious and feel serious pain when cracking a smile or waving to the fans.  Great talent out there but zero personality.  Jack, Arnie, Player, Norman, Stewart, Trevino, and Watson were not just great players, they were gentlemen and true ambassadors for this great sport.  I do not get the same vibe nor do I have the same affection for players like Spieth, Dustin Johnson, Koepka, Day, and many more of today's elite golfers.  Only McIlroy and Phil seem to carry that old school attitude and style on the course today.  I personally love watching Spieth but he has the personality of day-old drying paint, while Dustin looks and acts like he would be more suited to hustling a game of pool or driving a drag racer around.  Koepka can't crack a smile or show any emotion and seems more suited to being a linebacker in the NFL.  I honestly don't mean to be so harsh on all these fine modern players but somewhere in their development and in the business model of the PGA, an important element was forgotten.  PERSONALITY.

fjs0808
fjs0808

9:51 AM - Aug 19, 2018 #9

I’m actually impressed w the maturity of many young stars.  I know many are far more mature than I was at their age.  I’ve seen recent articles where Spieth, at his very young age is concerned w and shows positive action toward promoting the game and its values to those younger than him. Tiger being back on Tour seems to have done more than get the kids to step up their game. He leads by example w his foundation. Rory, Furyk, Justin Rose too have charitable foundations. I volunteer for PGA and a Senior event. Nice guys. Fun to be around. You’ll notice too that guys support each other’s charitable golf outings. I’m sure they’ve learned from those that came before. Rickey Fowler refers to Barbara Nicklaus as his “Florida mom.”  So I think the game is in good hands. I love to follow it. And play it. I just don’t get the crazy obsession over “pace of play,” but I digress. 

Grognard
Grognard

4:22 PM - Aug 19, 2018 #10

I'm not disagreeing with you about their character.  They are all fine men who respect the game and the people around them.  I'm saying that the game lacks characters.  Players like Trevino, Chi Chi and others who were more fun-loving and animated and who while very focused, could crack a big smile, make a funny gesture and above all, interact and acknowledge the crowd and their fellow golfers.  Today's players are way too focused and too serious and although they are supremely talented, they can still be boring to watch due to the lack of real emotion and personality on the course that impacts the audience at the event and the fans watching it on the tv.  A small example would be Fuzzy Zoeller waving a white towel in surrender after watching Greg Norman sink a must make big putt in the 1984 US Open at Winged Foot.  It was a funny and entertaining moment that I still remember today.  Or Chi Chi waving his putter around like a sword after he makes an impressive birdie putt.  Trevino was probably the king of humor and even Jack could be very animated when he made a big putt, while always being friendly and gracious to the crowd by acknowledging their existence.  Today's players may be very talented but they trek the course ina very all business demeanor like emotionless automatons.  The return of Tiger will help but I for one find the game a little boring right now.  It's not just about shot-making and scoring, it's about entertainment.