showcase vs tournament

showcase vs tournament

May 21st, 2012, 1:53 pm #1

Can someone explain to me (nicely! I am new) the difference between and Showcase and a Tournament?
Thanks.

Dangles
Dangles

May 21st, 2012, 2:43 pm #2

A showcase every team plays the same amount of games usually 5. The main point is to showcase players to scouts. AAA showcases are full of JR and college scouts.

A tourney is a round robin format with a championship game.

anny
anny

May 21st, 2012, 2:52 pm #3

It is a pragmatic solution. Instead of going to detroit on separate weekends to play each team, you go there once and play all 4 or 5 teams. Go there again and play each team again. Same when they come to chicago.

The showcase aspect does come into play when scouts at higher ages can go to Leafs center and spend the weekend in one place to see all the chicago and detroit teams in one place.

Of course, HPHL has changed that a bit so guest teams come like dallas or shattuck or ....

May 21st, 2012, 3:13 pm #4

Thanks all! I am glad to know and appreciate no one "beating me up" about asking... scary place, this board sometime! LOL

Another newbie
Another newbie

May 21st, 2012, 6:53 pm #5

A showcase every team plays the same amount of games usually 5. The main point is to showcase players to scouts. AAA showcases are full of JR and college scouts.

A tourney is a round robin format with a championship game.
Do they still have a "showcase" format where players sign up independently? I remember many years ago being at a rink where teams were scrimmaging and the players just had solid colored jerseys with numbers, no names or organization affiliations. The players were big, maybe bantam major or midget level.