Real AAA talk 97

Real AAA talk 97

May 15th, 2012, 1:33 pm #1

Lets talk about real stuff. I don't want people jumping in with SD bullshit, or any of the other Illinois money hungry assholes comments. My kid was injured bad, concussion, and out 5 months, he is back but was no where near a top player to begin with. He made team on pure hustle and no fear of anyone on the ice. Making a Mm team this year is unlikely, unless we can form our own team, which I know I can recruit big time players and make a pretty good team, but then I would just be WBS. He was very lucky to experience AAA last year and if not for dirty Compuware play, he would have had a great year. Let's discuss real options for those 3rd line players that are borderline AAA. I don't want the regular idiots jumping in with same old shit, you morons can come on in if you have a real opinion.

anon
anon

May 15th, 2012, 2:59 pm #2

Was it your kid or you that has the concussion?

May 15th, 2012, 3:12 pm #3

There you guys are! What a great start to the possibility of a real thread.

x
x

May 15th, 2012, 4:16 pm #4

AA

97 AAA Parent
97 AAA Parent

May 15th, 2012, 5:01 pm #5

There you guys are! What a great start to the possibility of a real thread.
I totally understand your issue (although you lost me with the whole putting your own team together thing). I've talked to my son and he does understand that chances of him making a tier 1 team are slim. He is very small and hasn't hit puberty yet.

We're still not sure what he's going to do. My son is in 8th grade and has been skating with his high school (varsity) team in the spring (in addition to a couple tier 1 teams). He is really enjoying it. He is thinking about that as an option. Another option would be to play for a good CSDHL team. Right now we're trying to figure out which is best for him, high school or CSDHL. I know that CSDHL has better hockey, but does it really matter? That is what we're (he's) trying to decide.

If, on the off chance, he makes a tier 1 team, he'd play there. He has been playing well this spring (actually, he's been playing very well), but I really believe that the coaches have already contacted the people they want. He hasn't been contacted. If the coaches don't talk to him by the end of the spring, he won't even waste his time going to AAA tryouts in July.

Not puberty yet
Not puberty yet

May 15th, 2012, 5:16 pm #6

my opinion formed over 2 decades and several family members in hockey from A to Div1.... For the players in our family that did not hit puberty before Mm, we went with the best coach; in the fastest league available that allowed puck touches and ice time for our young boys. That was balanced with drive time.

The best coach was one with a resume in the game and a documented history of moving players into Juniors and beyond. That coach can teach the game AND give you an honest assement of your son's potential.

Focus on the things you son can control... such as, conditioning, practice shots per day, stickhandling per day, crisp, sharp, on-ice passes during practice, hustle, and game vision.

If he moves the puck well (pass and catch) and has good vision, he will make a Mm team his second year with only average size or less.

Waylon

easy answer
easy answer

May 15th, 2012, 8:53 pm #7

If your son was hurt last season playing HPHL
Bantam Major, dirty or not, you can bet that
there will be a much better chance that he will
get hurt this year as a 3rd line 1997 playing
Midget Minor in the HPHL. There will be plenty
of 1996's staying down at minor. Reason? Because
Minor is the hot age group now. Major isn't even
looked at much anymore. Mission will have 8 1996s
next season, you can bet Honeybaked, Compuware
and LC's will also have a good number of 1996's.
NOTE !!! these will not be weaker 1996's, they will
be the best one's, back to my point, let him
come back to the HPHL the following season when
he is bigger stronger and the oldest. A small
1997 playing in the HPHL will need ice bags
and advil after playing the Michigam teams.

x
x

May 15th, 2012, 9:25 pm #8

I assume you are a good parent. Assuming that you need to get your kid out of collision sports right now. If he required 5 months to heal from a cuncussion then the answer to your question is easy. He's not going to play pro or D1. The next cuncussion will require him to re-learn how to read, is that what you want? I know from experience watching a parent ruin a son's life for the game. It's not worth it!

anon
anon

May 15th, 2012, 10:28 pm #9

Your opening post saying that 3rd line players aren't AAA showed your lack of understanding of the game of hockey. With your attitude your kid should play HS hockey, because they look at the game with the same "mite hockey" perspective. By Mm and MM all 4 lines have developed certain skills and flexibility to play diverse roles as needed. Many past AAA 3rd liners are playing D1 and D3 NCAA hockey today.
If you haven't figured it out yet the higher level teams just don't roll out 4 lines of danglers. They need guys that can go in the corners and battle for pucks. The need guys that are good playmakers and passers. They need guys that can check and play D to stop the other teams scorers. Only the uninformed fan or HS groupies think you just roll out the danglers and wannabe danglers 'til the last 5 minutes and then shorten the bench.

May 15th, 2012, 11:21 pm #10

Central States my friend. If he is recovering from a concussion, playing Tier I is not the way to go especially if he is small. Forget High School hockey in Illinois. Except for a few teams, HS hockey is goon hockey at best. Again, if he is small, avoid HS hockey at all costs.