preselected teams

preselected teams

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 29th, 2012, 7:25 pm #1

Just want another opinion on this....

my son is a 01 squirt goalie. When he started travel as a major mite, the team 1 goalie was the same as the previous year, so my son was placed on team 2. Seems fair, no problem there. At next fall tryouts for squirts, we paid the $300 tryout fee, as I sat in the lobby, 4 other parents came up to me and said "why are you here, you know he will be on team 3" because the kid who was on mite 1 will be on squirt 1, and squirt 2 has a daddy coach whose kid is a goalie.
Now, approaching this fall's tryouts, we already know that the same kid gets to stay on team 1, no matter what. Same daddy coaching issue for squirt 2 also.

my question is, do we tell the hockey director that this goalie is not paying the tryout fee since we know what team he will be placed on (the lowest). or look for another club who does not have daddy coaches with goalie kids the same birth year as mine.
I just want my goalie to have a chance to at least tryout and see if he could make a higher level team, for he will always be placed on the lowest level team at our current club.

Hockey Dad
Hockey Dad

June 29th, 2012, 7:58 pm #2

I would approach the hockey director and discuss your situation. If the HD has any class, he will be honest with you. As your son is a goalie, he should be able to give you an honest answer about your sons chances at making the 1st or 2nd team. What area do you live in? Most clubs have summer sessions where the kids can skate. Call a few clubs and ask about the summer skates. Chances are if your son is a good goalie, you will be approached by one of the coaches.

blues
blues

June 30th, 2012, 12:25 pm #3

go to the Blues, no daddy coaches, best instruction in IL

Blues parent
Blues parent

June 30th, 2012, 3:04 pm #4

Go to blues...he will get a fair tryout...no daddy coaches, you and your son will be treated welll.

BS
BS

June 30th, 2012, 3:43 pm #5

So if the Blues have no daddy coaches, did Finner's kids leave the organization or is he no longer coaching?

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 30th, 2012, 4:10 pm #6

Have a conversation with the hockey director -- that's funny. Hockey directors can sell a used car to a used car salesman. They know how to say what you want to hear then laugh when you turn around.

anon
anon

June 30th, 2012, 7:47 pm #7

There are usually a few forward spots to be won at tryouts. A few at D. Often, goalies are slotted before tryouts. Just comes with the position - though I have seen a few surprises at AA over the years - never at AAA that I can remember.

Unless the club is thin at the position and recruiting you, they will never waive any fee. If it is as you describe - 3 goalies for 3 teams, then they need your son to be there and you may be able to pass on the fee with a commit to play. But I doubt it.

Be careful though, when you say the one kid "gets to play" on the top team, he may not "get to play" but may just clearly be the #1 in the club - though you may not think so as the parent of another goalie. It is the worst position to parent that way. If your kid hears this or you allow him to talk this way, it will all be down hill from there.

The best way to "get to play" on the top team is if he busts his ass at EVERY practice for EVERY shot and listens to the goalie coach at EVERY clinic. Kids certainly don't need expensive camps to shine at AA, but an intrinsic and tenacious work ethic with a little talent will lead to success. Dogging it and pouting about not getting picked will lead to a sour taste.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 30th, 2012, 10:49 pm #8

So if the Blues have no daddy coaches, did Finner's kids leave the organization or is he no longer coaching?
Todd is a hockey director and yes... A coach... Sounds as if your a tad bit jealous??? He is one of the better coaches in the area.. Hands down. His kids are good players no need to take that away from them. I would take Finner coaching me all day long over some of these other goofs!

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 1st, 2012, 4:35 am #9

There are exceptions to the "dad" coach and Todd is one of them. I am some one that coaches against his team. He does a nice job.

BS
BS

July 2nd, 2012, 4:35 pm #10

I'm not jealous or trying to stir the pot. I know Finner is an excellent coach and If I lived anywhere near Bensenville my son would be playing for him. I was just trying to clarify the situation for someone who is clearly new to youth hockey. When you said no daddy coaches, you didn't mean NO daddy coaches, you meant no unqualified daddy coaches. That's it. Have a happy holiday!