Agents / Family Advisor

Agents / Family Advisor

Anon
Anon

October 10th, 2011, 6:38 pm #1

Going through this with my oldest so we are new at this. Hoping some with kids in Juniors can help.

I know a family advisor usually works for free. Does an agent? Do any of these get involved before the juniors draft? Son is eligible this spring and may have a chance to be picked up.

Is there value to either of these? Or is it if he's good enough he'll get drafted?

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 10th, 2011, 8:06 pm #2

Many Agents will work for free. Some will not. The real deal agents will approach you and ask for no money or kick back from your college scholly. They will label themselves Hockey Advisors when working with college/JRs players to maintain NCAA rules. The ones who do it for free usually will select you with the hopes that you will eventually sign a NHL/AHL/ECHL/CHL contract and that you would return the favor and use them to negotiate your contract. They also will market JR players to colleges with hope you will go somewhere and play after college so you will use their services.

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 11th, 2011, 2:27 am #3

As soon as you sign with an agent, your NCAA eligibility is gone. Beware....

anon
anon

October 11th, 2011, 12:03 pm #4

I believe the above statement is false.

it is
it is

October 11th, 2011, 4:11 pm #5

it is if you don't have some one in your court you will get no true info all the info will come from someone with a selfish motive most aaa coaches wanting to keep your kid back for his success be aware

facts
facts

October 11th, 2011, 7:38 pm #6

For the most part your son dosn't need an agent until
he is playing CHL or NCCA. A agent can't get your kid to
the next level only your son can do that. An agent can't
get him on a USHL team or a OHL team just because he's your
agent. When your son plays JR's or has NCCA teams asking
him to play for there schools, thats when a agent will find
you. Agents need to sign players to pro deals. At the
NCCA level 99% of them will not have a contract until 21
years old. If he's playing in the CHL it makes sense to have
a agent more around the age of 17 or whenever your son
is a 1st or 2nd line player. If he is a OHL heavyweight
fighter or a great tender or huge Dman a agent also makes
sense. For the most part the only person who needs a agent
for a player 16 or younger are parents that think they
missing out.

Ken Johnson
Ken Johnson

October 12th, 2011, 3:27 am #7

A representative who is doing it for the right reasons would never call himself an Agent unless he is representing someone who is signing a contract to play pro hockey. Until then, they are only advisors.

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 12th, 2011, 4:16 am #8

When I played Jrs 4 years ago my advisor was an agent as well. He did it for free when I was playing Jrs and college and used him when I negotiated my ECHL contract.

anon
anon

October 14th, 2011, 3:58 pm #9

If the agent/advisor approaches your player, it means they see something, and if you go on board with them they will do their best to promote that player. Also most of these guys, know everybody, and should be well versed in the ins and outs of navigating through the different stages of a hockey career.

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 14th, 2011, 5:27 pm #10

against ncaa rules to sign with an agent if going to play in college...