You might be a highpointer if...

You might be a highpointer if...

Olivier Kozlowski
Olivier Kozlowski

November 2nd, 2003, 5:33 am #1

1) You've climbed Boundary Peak, NV, but not Montgomery Peak, CA. Bonus points: you've climbed Mt. Frissel, MA, but not Bear Peak, CT.

2) You're not sure you can name all the state capitals, but you know that the higest point in OH is in Bellefontaine.

3) You've ever spent the night at the Kenton Kabins (Oklahoma residents excluded from this one).

4) You've ever driven through Accident, MD (other bizzarre names welcome).

5) You scan the last-minute airfare e-mails for deals to Denver, Columbus or Asheville (who needs cheap airfare to NYC, Washington or LAX anyway?). Bonus points: you wish "Sale to all Florida cities" didn't just mean Orlando, Miami, Tampa and Jacksonville. Don't these airlines know Florida has a panhandle?

6) You know where the highest natural point is in your backyard. Bonus points: you've marked it in some fashion.

7) You've ever put 2,000 miles on a rental car...in 4 days...east of the Mississippi.

8) "On the Road Again" and "Friends in High Places" mean things to you that they don't to normal people.

9) You see business trips as an opportunity.

10) Your friends and family think you're nuts for visiting an intersection in Delaware.

Disclaimer: I'm not guilty of ALL of these. Feel free to add to the list.

markv
markv

November 2nd, 2003, 4:49 pm #2

11) Your "most direct" auto route from Denver to Chicago passes through Nebraska, South Dakota, and North Dakota.

12) The term "Stealth Bomber" refers to the Van Dael's new land mines.

13) When asked the date for Columbus Day 2004, you look it up at highpointers.org.

14) You fabricate reasons for expanding the USA to more than 50 states.

15) You hike the Ozarks during that oh-so-beautiful late November / early December off-season.

16) You can say Mt. Sunflower with a straight face.

17) You spend work breaks debating important topics online...like the relative merits of hiking vs. driving.

18) You can recite from memory the altitude of at least 3 pastures not in your home state.

19) You've ruined at least 3 road atlases with X's and arrows.

20) You have the good fashion sense to not wear white after the end of Wuebbel season.

Mohamed Ellozy
Mohamed Ellozy

November 2nd, 2003, 6:09 pm #3

1) You've climbed Boundary Peak, NV, but not Montgomery Peak, CA. Bonus points: you've climbed Mt. Frissel, MA, but not Bear Peak, CT.

2) You're not sure you can name all the state capitals, but you know that the higest point in OH is in Bellefontaine.

3) You've ever spent the night at the Kenton Kabins (Oklahoma residents excluded from this one).

5) You scan the last-minute airfare e-mails for deals to Denver, Columbus or Asheville (who needs cheap airfare to NYC, Washington or LAX anyway?). Bonus points: you wish "Sale to all Florida cities" didn't just mean Orlando, Miami, Tampa and Jacksonville. Don't these airlines know Florida has a panhandle?

6) You know where the highest natural point is in your backyard. Bonus points: you've marked it in some fashion.

7) You've ever put 2,000 miles on a rental car...in 4 days...east of the Mississippi.

8) "On the Road Again" and "Friends in High Places" mean things to you that they don't to normal people.

10) Your friends and family think you're nuts for visiting an intersection in Delaware.

> 4) You've ever driven through Accident, MD (other bizzarre names welcome).

I don't qualify on that count yet, but just this morning as I was looking at my atlas checking out the WV, MD and PA highpoints I spotted it, right on US 219!

Mike
Mike

November 2nd, 2003, 6:43 pm #4

If you know that Bellefontaine is pronounced like,
"Bell-fountain."

Olivier Kozlowski
Olivier Kozlowski

November 2nd, 2003, 8:20 pm #5

> 4) You've ever driven through Accident, MD (other bizzarre names welcome).

I don't qualify on that count yet, but just this morning as I was looking at my atlas checking out the WV, MD and PA highpoints I spotted it, right on US 219!
I've gone so far as to e-mail my photo of the "Welcome to Accident" sign to my insurance agent. She was quite amused. There, I've confessed to one on my list!

Mohamed Ellozy
Mohamed Ellozy

November 2nd, 2003, 8:46 pm #6

> There, I've confessed to one on my list!

Item 21 on the list, which applies to us all here, is considered by the courts to be prime facia evidence of being a highpointer! "We have met the highpointers and they are us". Click here for a discussion of the origin on the quote I borrowed!

21) You read or, worse yet, post on this forum.

Mark S
Mark S

November 3rd, 2003, 2:29 am #7

22) You become expert at devising difficult ways to get to easily accessible places.

23) You take up new hobbies to further your highpointing ambitions ... mountain biking, rock and/or ice climbing etc.

24) You get yourself all worked up about signing a $*^%*&^% waiver to visit Black Mountain. Worse yet, you write a whole freakin' article about it for Apex to Zenith. (Oh, you mean that was just me?)

25) You have experienced car trouble or been in a highway accident while on a highpointing trip.

26) You plan a vacation around a Rhode Island access day.

Mohamed Ellozy
Mohamed Ellozy

November 3rd, 2003, 3:20 am #8

> 22) You become expert at devising difficult ways to get to easily accessible places.

Hmm ... I though it was another Mark who wanted to do half the prominence of each highpoint on foot

Seriously, I have never heard of this as being a mark of highpointers. If anything, most go for the easy way. A large number of perefctly fit highpointers go up Mt Washington mechanically, surely "an easy way to get to a diffficultly accessible place"!

markv
markv

November 3rd, 2003, 4:59 am #9

#22a You might be a highpointer if...you've "climbed" Hoosier Hill, yet driven up Mt. Washington.

Did i ever thank you properly, Sir Ellozy, for your route advice for Mt. Washington?

I played a concert today at a church. I was mulling about waiting to go onstage, and i saw a list of the church choir members posted on the door. So guess whose name jumped off the page? Alan Ritter! And he was even there at the show! It's a small world, and now i can say i've met another forum poster. (and his equally famous son, Nathan.)

November 3rd, 2003, 1:30 pm #10

What a pleasant surprise when our choir director buttonholed me after the flute concert yesterday and said that the cellist who had played in the flute/cello/piano trio that was part of the concert had asked if I were the hiker?

Mark, it was great fun meeting you through a rather obscure set of circumstances...you never know how you're going to run across a fellow Highpointer! (Mark was pinch-hitting for the scheduled cellist, who was under the weather.)

Perhaps our paths will cross again...musically or highpointing...