You'll HAVE to hike Grelock in '07 or '08

You'll HAVE to hike Grelock in '07 or '08

November 3rd, 2006, 6:05 pm #1

The MA Dept. of Conservation & Recreation announced Wednesday that $21.3 million has been allocated to do major improvements in Mt. Greylock State Reservation. Work on the seasonally-open roads will take place between April 2007 & June 2009, with all roads in the park closed for the '07 and '08 seasons. From the press release:

"Due to seasonal constraints, construction will occur between April 1 and November 1 as weather permits. Mount Greylock roads will be closed to the public for the 2007 and 2008 seasons. Road closures during construction will provide substantial financial savings as well as speeding up the time it will take to complete the project. The Visitors Center on Rockwell Road in Lanesborough will remain open during construction.

During construction, while roads are closed to the public, trails on the state reservation will be open to walkers, hikers, and mountain bikers. As construction work is not expected to take place during the winter months, winter activities such as cross country skiing, snowmobiling and winter camping are not expected to be impacted by the parkway rehabilitation project."

Read the full press release here:
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/news/pr11-1-2006.htm

November 4th, 2006, 6:41 am #2

I don't especially recommend the Hopper or Money Brook Trails. The AT might be nicer.

November 4th, 2006, 4:35 pm #3

Good to know the AT might be the way to go...we are looking at thru-hiking the AT in a few years, and are saving all the state highpoints on the trail to do along the way. I think it would be great if I could save Maine for last so I could finish the 50 and the AT at the same time

November 7th, 2006, 9:05 pm #4

I don't especially recommend the Hopper or Money Brook Trails. The AT might be nicer.
...especially with snow!

<a href="http://www.txmountaineer.com/reports/Gr ... 602.htm</A" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.txmountaineer.com/reports/Gr ... 602.htm</A>

November 8th, 2006, 7:42 am #5

I've done Greylock twice, and hiked it both times (once winter, once summer).

For an incredibly short and steep hike, take the old Thunderbolt ski trail up the E side of the mountain. I did this rather underprepared in winter, but imagine it would be quite easy in summer.

If you're looking for a longer hike, I'd definitely recommend the AT from Cheshire. A very nice hike with a few viewpoints along the way, and can be either a long dayhike (~16 mi) or an overnight.

November 13th, 2006, 9:15 pm #6

If you go up the Thunderbolt expect to get out of the way of skiers coming down. And if you do go up it, please use snowshoes as there's nothing worse then dealing with frozen postholes at high speed.

-dave-