Would any of you consider meeting to do Mt Frissell one Saturday am? Got lost last time &

Would any of you consider meeting to do Mt Frissell one Saturday am? Got lost last time &

August 5th, 2010, 3:52 am #1

never made it anywhere! My buddy and I are high pointers and we tried to do Mt Frissell a few years ago. We were terribly disappointed to spend literally hours looking for the trailhead in a flooded region of Connecticut. We used Paul Zumwalt's book as a guide but we walked back and forth, this way and that way, shortly after heavy rains had flooded this whole area pretty badly. We were so mad we couldn't figure out where the trailhead was to go up! We eventually gave up hours later, totally soaked to the knees from the wet areas we had been and went all the way back to DC completely perplexed. We did get to at least 4 other high points that weekend but CT was a bust.

Now I'm doing these high points by myself because at 49 y.o. my hiking friend just had a baby and can't do them with me for a few years I'm guessing. I just did SC, KY and GA last weekend by myself, 1500 miles of driving in 2.5 days and had an awesome time (also saw The Biltmore mansion while down there in Asheville and the BMW museum in Spartanburg - totally cool sideline things to do). Thanksgiving weekend I'm planning to do MS, AL and FL while traveling from DC to Miami to see my sister, about 3000 miles RT. Hope I make it.

I want to do Iowa, Illinois, Arkansas, Missouri, and Louisiana Sept 4th weekend, the last weekend for 9 months that Charles Mound is open. It'll cost $432 for the RT flight, $600 for 4 days of rental car (that 1 way drop off is pretty expensive) and cheap, scuzzy hotels for 4 nights at about $50 each night. It's more than I want to spend to do these high point but going somewhere else in the world for that same $1500... I don't know where I'd go that would be as fulfilling for me. I get incredible pleasure driving to these high points and doing them, meeting people along the way on the road, thinking about them, talking about them, and then there's the glory of actually finding them after getting lost for hours. For me, it's a grown up scavenger hunt. I will be at 62% of the US high points if I do all these I've listed, and at 64% if someone is willing to bang out Mt Frissell with me one Sat morning.

So - I really want to drive up to Mt Frissell one night after work, leaving Rockville, MD at 5pm, driving the 343 miles to Salisbury CT (about 7.5 hours) and I guess it's near there somewhere. I really want to conquer this tiny hike to the top but I don't want to do it alone. Would anyone consider meeting me one Saturday morning around 9am or 10am to do this hike - someone that has done it before and can actually show me how to get to the top?

Thanks in advance if you can. I can't afford a repeat of a few years ago. It would hurt too much if I drove all that way and got lost again! You could email me off-line if you can do it. I'm thinking in the next 2 months at the latest.

Really enjoying this forum. I just found it again after reading it a few years back before doing Mt Whitney. That was my hardest hike yet. Another friend I met at a corporate training week in Philly wants to do Gannett Peak with me next June. He's a real mountaineer as opposed to what I do, general hiking. I have never done technical rock climbing so I doubt I'd be up for it but it's certainly piqued my interest from the pics I've found on this site of a gent's hike up to the top. Took him 7 attempts before he finally made it. Wow...that's intense.

Regards,
Steve R
Maryland

August 5th, 2010, 1:06 pm #2

I checked my '02 trip report but although I recorded a waypoint of 42° 2.982'N, 73° 28.990'W at the CT highpoint, I didn't mark the trailhead, sorry about that. As I recall, we followed the directions in Zumwalt's book and the trail was pretty easy to spot. Unfortunately, I live in MO, so it's a fur piece for me to come help...would be happy to, but it's a bit too far for a weekend.

When you get to the midwest trip, give a yell...the MO highpoint is pretty obvious, being at the end of a paved path from the Taum Sauk State Park parking lot. Basically, you drive down MO Highway 21 and turn off on Highway CC up into Taum Sauk State Park. Drive to the parking lot at the end of the road and walk a hundred yards on what amounts to a sidewalk. While you're up there, be sure to visit "Jakk's Glade" where the Club placed the memorial plaque to Jack Longacre. The turnoff for the glade will be on your left as you drive up toward the highpoint. I need to go up there and see if the trail needs to be weed-whacked...might do that this weekend because I have to be down in that neck of the woods on a Scout weekend and I may take the time on the way down to zip over to Taum Sauk.

As for the rest of the midwest HPs you're thinking of doing, give a yell if you want extra directions or anything, or check out the "highpointing" section of my web site. I would note that the IA highpoint is at the far northwest corner of the state, so trying to do IL/MO/IA/AR/LA in a long weekend will mean a heckofalotta driving. Also, the trail to the LA highpoint wasn't exactly obvious when we did that...read my AR/LA trip report for commentary.

August 5th, 2010, 1:23 pm #3

I am still hoping that someone can meet me in CT. I'd hate to get lost again. I'd be crushed. Crossing my fingers someone will respond who lives near there. I will print out your trip reports and take them with me for sure. I find it difficult doing these alone as I am directionaly challenged in a big way.

I plan to fly into Louisianna for my midwest trip on Sept 1, and work my way north to Iowa flying out of Sioux City. I should hit Illinois's Charles Mound on the Saturday I'd be allowed to hike it. Hike, that's a funny word for this. I know it's 1600+ miles of driving but I'm going for it! Just found out a rental car is $130 a day plus tx. Ouch! That's about $600 for my 4.5 day trip. What a rip. It's $182 if it was a RT car rental but this is a one way drop off. Oh well, that's life. If I drove out there it's about 65 hours of driving! Flying and rental driving is much better and about the same price.

August 6th, 2010, 1:55 am #4

never made it anywhere! My buddy and I are high pointers and we tried to do Mt Frissell a few years ago. We were terribly disappointed to spend literally hours looking for the trailhead in a flooded region of Connecticut. We used Paul Zumwalt's book as a guide but we walked back and forth, this way and that way, shortly after heavy rains had flooded this whole area pretty badly. We were so mad we couldn't figure out where the trailhead was to go up! We eventually gave up hours later, totally soaked to the knees from the wet areas we had been and went all the way back to DC completely perplexed. We did get to at least 4 other high points that weekend but CT was a bust.

Now I'm doing these high points by myself because at 49 y.o. my hiking friend just had a baby and can't do them with me for a few years I'm guessing. I just did SC, KY and GA last weekend by myself, 1500 miles of driving in 2.5 days and had an awesome time (also saw The Biltmore mansion while down there in Asheville and the BMW museum in Spartanburg - totally cool sideline things to do). Thanksgiving weekend I'm planning to do MS, AL and FL while traveling from DC to Miami to see my sister, about 3000 miles RT. Hope I make it.

I want to do Iowa, Illinois, Arkansas, Missouri, and Louisiana Sept 4th weekend, the last weekend for 9 months that Charles Mound is open. It'll cost $432 for the RT flight, $600 for 4 days of rental car (that 1 way drop off is pretty expensive) and cheap, scuzzy hotels for 4 nights at about $50 each night. It's more than I want to spend to do these high point but going somewhere else in the world for that same $1500... I don't know where I'd go that would be as fulfilling for me. I get incredible pleasure driving to these high points and doing them, meeting people along the way on the road, thinking about them, talking about them, and then there's the glory of actually finding them after getting lost for hours. For me, it's a grown up scavenger hunt. I will be at 62% of the US high points if I do all these I've listed, and at 64% if someone is willing to bang out Mt Frissell with me one Sat morning.

So - I really want to drive up to Mt Frissell one night after work, leaving Rockville, MD at 5pm, driving the 343 miles to Salisbury CT (about 7.5 hours) and I guess it's near there somewhere. I really want to conquer this tiny hike to the top but I don't want to do it alone. Would anyone consider meeting me one Saturday morning around 9am or 10am to do this hike - someone that has done it before and can actually show me how to get to the top?

Thanks in advance if you can. I can't afford a repeat of a few years ago. It would hurt too much if I drove all that way and got lost again! You could email me off-line if you can do it. I'm thinking in the next 2 months at the latest.

Really enjoying this forum. I just found it again after reading it a few years back before doing Mt Whitney. That was my hardest hike yet. Another friend I met at a corporate training week in Philly wants to do Gannett Peak with me next June. He's a real mountaineer as opposed to what I do, general hiking. I have never done technical rock climbing so I doubt I'd be up for it but it's certainly piqued my interest from the pics I've found on this site of a gent's hike up to the top. Took him 7 attempts before he finally made it. Wow...that's intense.

Regards,
Steve R
Maryland
Steve,
Let's see if we can find a Saturday that works for both of us. I'm always game for a repeat Highpoint and checking out any changes in trail conditions or access. Send me an email. StoneMan

August 6th, 2010, 3:53 am #5

I'll email you off line and we can communicate that way, then. I'm really excited at the prospect of doing this high point after failing miserably at it a few years ago. I wonder if there's any super cheap hotels near this high point I can sleep at Friday night when I pull in around 1 or 2am? I'm not sure camping will work for me if it's hot and humid out. Guess I've grown lazy in my "old" age (49 now). If I was camping with a friend it would be different but camping alone, for me, is not really that much fun.

August 22nd, 2010, 7:00 pm #6

Regards,
Steve R
Maryland
Had a great time meeting my first high pointer from the forum this past weekend and finally make it to the top of CT. Can't wait to do more HP's soon! To be continued...

It's LA, AR, MO, IL and IA in 2 weeks for me. Crossing my fingers I can find them all!

Stony motivated me to do Wheeler and Humphries Peak next summer on a long weekend.

Also, KS, OK, ND, SD, and NE on a long, long weekend as well. (4-5 days). I'd have to fly out separately for both of these trips.

sr

August 23rd, 2010, 12:58 am #7

Congrats on adding to your HP total. Good luck on your upcoming midwest loop.

As for Humphreys and Wheeler, check my trip reports for both of those. If you don't mind a short but steep haul, the Williams Lake trail up to Wheeler will save a bunch of distance and time over the longer but less-steep Bull in the Woods trail. Just watch out for the attack marmots on Wheeler...they'll practically climb up your leg begging for a handout!

Also, keep a weather eye out on both Humphreys and Wheeler. We were stormed off our first try at Humphreys and given that you travel the better part of a mile along the ridge from the Humphreys/Agassiz saddle to the summit, you don't want to be way out there when a t-storm blows up. We summitted Wheeler just fine on our first try but there was thunder behind us as we headed back down from Williams Lake, so we were maybe an hour ahead of the storms at best.

August 23rd, 2010, 1:32 am #8

And, we got totally lost up there in the ice and a bit of snow. Couldn't find the trail and just started walking straight up not knowing if it was correct of not. Purple, dark clouds rolled in with heavy wind and lightning. We freaked and headed back down in horror. Flew all the way out there from MD and didn't make it but the rest of the trip was great, getting to hiking into the Grand Canyon for the 1st time and staying at Phantom Ranch as last minute a spot opened up and we took it the same day.

Looking forward to sitting down and reading your trip reports very soon. Thx for posting them.
Steve R