waterfalls

waterfalls

William
William

May 7th, 2002, 5:31 am #1

this is probably a silly and obvious question to you guys, but is there a highest waterfall in each state list somewhere?

John S.
John S.

May 7th, 2002, 9:30 am #2

It depends on the definition. There are certain falls that are strait drops and there are falls that are a series of cascades. The highest in Virginia is Crabtree Falls which I believe also has the honor of highest waterfall in the Eastern U.S. It is actually a series of cascades. Crabtree is one of the coolest falls that I have visited and is also a very popular destination in Virginia

Fred L.
Fred L.

May 7th, 2002, 11:41 am #3

this is probably a silly and obvious question to you guys, but is there a highest waterfall in each state list somewhere?
I don't know if there is a list somewhere, but Ron Tagliapietra, a HP Club member, has recently published a book on waterfalls that gives at least one in each state.

John M
John M

May 7th, 2002, 2:00 pm #4

Ron's new book covers waterfalls in every state and provides directions, photos, and discussion. This is an excellent gift item for those you know that love waterfalls. Ron also has a book about Carolina waterfalls.

William
William

May 7th, 2002, 4:00 pm #5

It depends on the definition. There are certain falls that are strait drops and there are falls that are a series of cascades. The highest in Virginia is Crabtree Falls which I believe also has the honor of highest waterfall in the Eastern U.S. It is actually a series of cascades. Crabtree is one of the coolest falls that I have visited and is also a very popular destination in Virginia
I was under the impression that Taughannock falls in Ny was the highest single drop east of the mississippi, and that Katterskill falls in Ny was the highest combined drop. This is very confusing, I will check out that book, but I think a link here to some sort of list would be appropriate.

roger
roger

May 7th, 2002, 7:10 pm #6

There's no central list that I know. I can see one coming. A simple Google search for "highest waterfall in Florida", etc., produces some amazing results. I spot checked some low states.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hi ... in+florida

If somebody is up to it we could compile a list based on this method. I did have problems finding a couple flat states though (Kansas, Louisiana).

For what it's worth, here's the entry for Florida:

Falling Waters State Recreation Area, north of Panama City, has the highest waterfall in the state at 70 feet. (Other sources give 61 and 67 feet, but it still wins.) Falling Waters falls into a 100-foot-deep, 20 -foot-wide sink. The final destination of this water is still unknown. At the park, you can hike, swim, picnic and camp. Oh, and don't forget to see the waterfall.
http://www.ecofloridamag.com/archived/state_parks.htm

John S.
John S.

May 7th, 2002, 8:30 pm #7

I was under the impression that Taughannock falls in Ny was the highest single drop east of the mississippi, and that Katterskill falls in Ny was the highest combined drop. This is very confusing, I will check out that book, but I think a link here to some sort of list would be appropriate.
Whitewater Falls in N.C. also claims to be the highest as do many other waterfalls.

Bob
Bob

May 8th, 2002, 1:44 pm #8

Ron's new book covers waterfalls in every state and provides directions, photos, and discussion. This is an excellent gift item for those you know that love waterfalls. Ron also has a book about Carolina waterfalls.
What is the title, and where is this book available? It sounds great.

PJ
PJ

May 8th, 2002, 2:27 pm #9

Whitewater Falls in N.C. also claims to be the highest as do many other waterfalls.
Taughannock is 215 feet. I'm certain its not the highest in the east. The state park only claims it to be the highest in the Northeast. I've always heard that there is a waterfall in Kentucky that's the highest single drop in the east, but I couldn't find a reference to it on google.

While Taughannock isn't the highest in the east, its a fantastic waterfall and gorge. Anybody out there who likes waterfalls has to visit the finger lakes.

Mark S
Mark S

May 8th, 2002, 3:13 pm #10

According to "Written in Stone" - a book I picked up after the recent 'Highest Mountain' thread - Kaaterskill Falls is 260 feet high (as pointed out above, it's a cascading falls, not a single drop). By the way, this is a fascinating book if you're interested in the geological history of the Northeast - copyright 1989, republished in 2001 by Chet and Maureen Raymo. Available at Amazon.com.