unprescedented challenge to WA climber for Rainier

unprescedented challenge to WA climber for Rainier

August 11th, 2006, 7:09 pm #1

Donation of $5000 set to be given to former Rainier ranger Chad Kellog for time verified speed climb of Mount Rainier. The donation offered in March to Kellogg, Dan Howitt makes donation, no reply from Kellog to date. 4-6 weeks left in the 2006 speed climbing season on Rainier. Kellogg has never done an officially timed climb of Rainier.

Many comments by Climbing Magazine and Rock & Ice by various writers and editors ---

Editor in Chief/Photo Editor Jonathan Thesenga jt@climbing.com
Senior Editor Matt Samet msamet@climbing.com
Associate Editor Dan Dewell ddewell@climbing.com
Editor at Large Jeff Achey jeff@paintedwall.comOnline
News Editor Dougald MacDonald dougald5@comcast.net

August 11th, 2006, 8:47 pm #2

I thought I'd heard that Chad Kellogg was climbing in China. Not very likely that he'll fly all the way back to the U.S. just to perform for Dan Howitt.

And, besides, Dan, we're already growing weary of the constant challenges for speed climbs. There are plenty of opportunities for both Howitt and Kellogg to compete in regularly scheduled races without hype, drama, or innuendo. Yet neither has done so. To the general public, there are two likely reasons for their lack of participation - 1) They don't care about racing others, or 2) They don't want others to be able to observe them as they attempt a speed climb. I suspect that both Howitt's and Kellogg's motivations are covered by these two reasons.

And, as a side note, the above post was made by a Jim Kiltenship. Odd, isn't it, that a google search reveals absolutely zero entries for the word Kiltenship. I suspect that Dan Howitt has added yet another entry to his long list of aliases.

August 12th, 2006, 3:18 am #3

Aside from the obvious silliness of these climbing rants and challenges, there is one other thing that bugs me: whatever your real name is, would you learn to spell, punctuate, and in all other ways try to find a grasp of the language? Maybe it will help you seem more credible...but I doubt it.