tOfficial 2009 End of Year Highpointing Thread

tOfficial 2009 End of Year Highpointing Thread

December 12th, 2009, 7:28 am #1

In honor of americasroof being back in full throttle, i'm starting the annual end-o-the-year thread.

What highpoints did you summit in 2009? What highlights? What are the plans for 2010???

As for me, i scored #39 in June, climbing Wheeler Peak, NM. I'll eventually add a write-up to the trip reports forum, but suffice it to say i HIGHLY recommend taking the slightly longer ridge route over just going up and down from Williams Lake. The lake was ok, but the ridge was much nicer.

Also i managed to climb Mt. Adams in Washington, which is surely the county highpoint of some county or another. But really that's all i did. After the PCT in 2008, 2009 was more of a work year than a highpoint year.

For 2010, who knows. I'm toying with finding my way up Granite Peak. I bought the -40 degree sleeping bag i'll need for Denali, but that's the only step i've taken, so that's probably still in the distant future if at all. I want to keep plugging away, since 39 is too close to 50 to stall forever. In the meantime on Monday, i'm hiking up Mt. Lemmon (another county highpoint) from the city of Tucson, all 24 miles and 7,000' of it, and then biking down. Or i guess i should say i'm attempting to. This 40-year-old body might not quite make it that far.

Happy New Year, and let's hear about your HP stories...

December 12th, 2009, 7:33 am #2

I forgot to also add that i did two HP repeats. They matter to me because for each of them i originally climbed them before i had instituted my "majority prominence" standard for highpointing. I.e. to feel like i've climbed a HP, i want to ascend the majority of its prominence (elevation gain from its major saddle) by my own power.

So, when nearby for other business, i reclimbed Highpoint, NJ and Woodall Mtn,, MS. The NJ hike was a sweaty mosquito-infested drag, but now i'm SURE that i've met my standard. The MS walk was pretty nice, doing the same loop of going up the jeep road and down the paved road, but starting from lower down. Driving the Natchez Trace Parkway was more of a highlight than the actual highpoint.

If anybody would like any details about either of these slightly longer than necessary hikes, email me.

hike on...

December 12th, 2009, 1:52 pm #3

In honor of americasroof being back in full throttle, i'm starting the annual end-o-the-year thread.

What highpoints did you summit in 2009? What highlights? What are the plans for 2010???

As for me, i scored #39 in June, climbing Wheeler Peak, NM. I'll eventually add a write-up to the trip reports forum, but suffice it to say i HIGHLY recommend taking the slightly longer ridge route over just going up and down from Williams Lake. The lake was ok, but the ridge was much nicer.

Also i managed to climb Mt. Adams in Washington, which is surely the county highpoint of some county or another. But really that's all i did. After the PCT in 2008, 2009 was more of a work year than a highpoint year.

For 2010, who knows. I'm toying with finding my way up Granite Peak. I bought the -40 degree sleeping bag i'll need for Denali, but that's the only step i've taken, so that's probably still in the distant future if at all. I want to keep plugging away, since 39 is too close to 50 to stall forever. In the meantime on Monday, i'm hiking up Mt. Lemmon (another county highpoint) from the city of Tucson, all 24 miles and 7,000' of it, and then biking down. Or i guess i should say i'm attempting to. This 40-year-old body might not quite make it that far.

So, it was a very good year for highpointing for me as I picked off my last two remaining non-technical state highpoints. Hiked from the Onizuka Visitor Center to the summit of Mauna Kea in late September and then followed that up a few days later with a two-day backpack to the top of Mount Whitney via the main trail. Two really super highpoints, but then again I'm at a point now where they're all good. Patting myself on the back for my strategy of going east to west and picking off all the easy ones in the middle of the country before tackling the western highpoints. There will be no anti-climax for me.

I have Gannett, Granite, Hood, Rainier and Denali left. For 2010, it looks like an attempt of Gannett is on the plate. I'm currently attached to a small crew that will be making an attempt in mid-to-late July. If for some reason this trips falls apart, then Mount Hood via the south side is my fall back plan.

Happy Holidays to all from the Styczynski clan ... including our newest addition (born May 26th).

December 13th, 2009, 2:08 am #4

Stuck at 42, I had just a short week to give Kings and Borah a shot. Kings got to me about 12,500' with AMS after one too few days to acclimate. Borah, I got off route a bit and got cliffed out. But getting back to the trailhead in the same number of pieces counts both as successes even without summits. Last month, we added three countries to Marcia's and my totals, visiting Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay. No climbing involved, but when you land at La Paz and head to Lake Titicaca, you're already at about 12,500'.

Next year? Well, if the group plans for Granite work out (via the SW Couloir route), that'll be a try at one of the technically most-challenging I have left (AK, WA, OR, NV, MT, WY, UT and ID). I'd like to do one of the IMG "Denali Seminar" climbs of Rainier and maybe try to combine that with Hood on the same trip. We'll see whether I can make the vacation plan work out...

My climbing buddy is over in Germany doing his junior year abroad, so I won't have him for company until the end of July at best and probably not at all if he can find a job between then and when Northwestern starts up again in mid-September. Hard to believe that Nathan will be a senior in college next fall...

December 14th, 2009, 3:22 am #5

I managed to snag 19 highpoints this year bringing me to 29. I am planning on IL, IA, MI, MN, WI, MT, WY, ID, UT and NV next year if all holds.

Merry Christmas all.

December 14th, 2009, 4:38 am #6

I was part of a group of 4 Highpointers from the Badger State that completed a 6-day, 4,142 mile, 8 state Highpoints trip in May. We reached the state highpoints of Missouri, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa. We also visited Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, a 4000-cow dairy farm near Roswell, NM, and spent an evening in Taos, NM watching live music and visiting art galleries.

Highlights:
Visiting Mina Sauk Falls in Missouri.
We found that old cars go to die in the countryside of Arkansas.
Watching the bats leave the cave at Carlsbad Caverns in the evening.
Glissading down Wheeler Peak.
Listening to the band "Monkey Feeders" in Taos, NM.
Eating burgers and fries at the Kenton Mercantile in Oklahoma.
Reading the register entry by a lady on Black Mesa...."I exposed my breasts on Black Mesa. Let them babies breathe!"
Reaching the summit of Mount Sunflower at 10:30 PM in the dark.
Reaching the summit of Nebraska at 4:30 AM the same night (in the dark).
Seeing the changes at Hawkeye Point in Iowa.

Statistics:
We used 217 gallons of gasoline at an average price of 2.374/gallon.
Highest price for gas: 2.599 in Gibbon, NE
Lowest price for gas: 2.189 in Taos, NM
Vehicle: Toyota Sequoia

Nights that we didn't sleep in the car: 3
Carlsbad, NM
Taos Ski Valley, NM
Taos, NM

Most highpoints in 24 hours: 4
Black Mesa, OK
Mount Sunflower, KS
Panorama Point, NE
Hawkeye Point, IA

Mount Sunflower, Kansas was my 41st state highpoint. I am over the hill!

Seeing the United States.....PRICELESS

In 2010 I will be making my 2nd attempt on Gannett Peak with a small group of Highpointers in mid-July and then hope to attend the Konvention in the Fall and will do Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama on that trip.

December 14th, 2009, 7:17 am #7

When 2009 started, I had summited 32 State Highpoints. During Memorial Day weekend I did a loop-trip to accomplish SC, TN, NC, VA, KY, and GA.

Then I summited WY in mid-summer.

I had an unsuccessful attempt of MT in early September, choosing to end the ascent only 550' elevation from the summit due to an incoming nasty and dangerous storm system. It was the right choice.

Then, on September 20, I reached my 40th State Highpoint at the top of Guadalupe Peak in TX.

Reaching 40 State Highpoints was a big achievement for me, especially considering I had accomplished that feat only 2-1/4 years after I first summited a State Highpoint (WA). Perhaps it is time to take it easy for a while...

The final 10 remaining for me: AK, MT, UT, NV, HI, NY, NH, VT, MA, ME
I don't know if I will ever reach all 50 States, but I look forward to seeing where this journey goes...

December 14th, 2009, 8:21 pm #8

Actually we finished the tail end of 2008 w/ Hoosier Hill repeat on 12-30-08. And in July I went to Jerimoth to go to actual summit.

This coming year all depends on whether I have a job or not.

December 28th, 2009, 3:50 pm #9

Looking back, I realized it was a really mellow year for me for Highpointing. 2 repeats of NJ, 2 repeats of NH, 2 repeats of RI and 1 repeat of MA. I did manage to get motivated thanks to Scott C., Roy W. and Roy S. to complete the county highpoints of ME and only have two left to finish up VT. As for next year...I'm checking my lists. As always, Happy Trails and Safe Climbs.

January 4th, 2010, 5:45 pm #10

I only started in 2009, with TX. Now I'm up to 7 (8 if you count DC). I almost got arrested at FL - I visited late at night and was mistaken for a vandal!

For 2010:
I'm heading out to NY and VT in two weeks to try my hand at cold weather stuff, heading to NV (and maybe CA) in May, and UT in September. Might also take a course on NH in Feb. I'm sure I'll also do more than a few eastern HPs during the summer.

My long term goal is to get some altitude this year, do Ranier next year (training course probably), and Denali after that.

But I'm up for anything, so if anyone is looking for a partner feel free to give me a shout.