Third Quarter 2010 Accidents/Rescues

Third Quarter 2010 Accidents/Rescues

July 8th, 2010, 1:22 pm #1

Post under monthly sections below.

July 8th, 2010, 1:23 pm #2

Post July indcidents here.

July 8th, 2010, 1:25 pm #3

A woman was killed by a falling rock on Mt. Shasta. Details in online article.

July 8th, 2010, 1:25 pm #4

Post August incidents here.

July 8th, 2010, 1:26 pm #5

Post September incidents here.

July 9th, 2010, 11:07 pm #6

After summiting 7/7 we were told by another climber of a 7am accident at the foot of the Old Chute. At the base we found the climber, Bryan, had slid 600' down the chute and almost into Hot Rocks. He was under an snow ledge after crawling/being helped up from a location terribly close to the fumerole. In my exam I thought he only suffered a tibial plateau fracture but later was found to be a patella fracture. (I find my exam skills limited in situations like cramped cracks in snow fields.)Luckily, he had no other injury. A paramedic arrived at 11 am and Bryan was off by 5 pm.
See:
http://pdxtraffic.blogspot.com/2010/07/ ... escue.html

July 23rd, 2010, 1:40 am #7

APACHE JUNCTION, AZ - The lure of the legendary Lost Dutchman Mine has likely claimed three more lives.

Curtis Merworth, Malcolm Meeks and Ardean Charles left Salt Lake City on July 6 in search of the fabled lode of gold hidden in the Superstition Mountains east of Apache Junction. Their vehicle was found at a trailhead July 11, but an exhaustive search for the men has, so far, turned up empty.

It was the third time Merworth had come to the Superstitions looking for treasure. Searchers rescued him from the terrain in May 2009, but the harrowing experience didn't deter him from what family members say had become an obsession.

Merworth, 48, was "gold crazy," his mother, Carol, said this week from her Salt Lake City home.

"He was certain he was going to find this mine," she said.

Click here to read the rest of the article.

July 28th, 2010, 6:23 pm #8

Seattle scientist killed in Mt. Rainier fall
By CHRIS GRYGIEL
SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

A 52-year-old Seattle man was killed after falling into large crevasse during a descent from the summit of Mount Rainier.

Lee F. Adams was part of a four-men crew descending the 14,411-foot mountain on Emmons Glacier Tuesday when the final person on the rope tripped and fell, said Mount Rainier National Park spokeswoman Lee Taylor.

Adams died on impact after tumbling into the crevassse. A second climber was injured; the two others were not harmed.

The three surviving climbers made their way out of the crevasse and were able to reach Camp Sherman at 9,000 feet. Park rangers will inspect the scene of the accident Wednesday and determine when to retrieve Adams' body.

Adams was a research scientist at the Institute for Systems Biology in Seattle. He earned a Ph.D. in microbiology from Cornell University. He had done postdoctral work at the University of Washington.

July 30th, 2010, 3:57 pm #9

A teen-aged hiker from Portland fell 200 feet after losing his footing trying to climb down a cliff. Multiple injuries but he survived.

Details on the KATU website, including video of an interview with the hiker.

August 9th, 2010, 7:56 am #10

I've been telling everyone how last month my wife fell in the High Sierra (in a snowed-over section), flipped completely upside-down, and fell 6-feet onto solid granite boulders, and came away with only some deep bruises. I guess i'll stop bragging now. This guy's story tops it by 194 feet.