The King of Kings Peak at age 89?

The King of Kings Peak at age 89?

Lynn Arave
Lynn Arave

August 21st, 2001, 5:47 pm #1

I've found an 89-year-old Provo, Utah man who hiked to the summit of Kings Peak this summer with children and grandchildren.
Anyone know of an older person who reached that 13,528-foot Uintas Mountains summit without the help of horses or other such aids?
For that matter, who is the oldest active highpointer?
What's the oldest person known to have summitted Whitney or Rainier?

roger
roger

August 21st, 2001, 7:05 pm #2

Lynn:

I've enjoyed your posts. I had no idea you are 89! Wow!

The oldest active Club Member is Paul Zumwalt who is also 89 who is author of the "Fifty State Summits" book and who was awarded the Club's first "Highpointer Cum Laude" award at this year's convention.

I have a taped interview I will be broadcasting shortly on the web and it will be in the Club newsletter this fall.

Paul says his publisher (who publishes books on Hood) says that when he climbed Hood at age 76 he was the third oldest to do it.

I don't know what the record is for Kings. But I am certainly impressed!!!

Lynn Arave
Lynn Arave

August 21st, 2001, 7:48 pm #3

I'm not 89. I'm about half that.
I just talked to a Richard Pratt, 89, of Provo, Ut. who is age 89 and who hiked to the Kings summit on July 27, 2001, with a son and 3 grandsons — meaning three generations were on the summit that day.

August 21st, 2001, 9:30 pm #4

Lynn:
Oh, well, for a brief instant...

I really have to read more carefully.

Roger.

COuntry
COuntry

August 22nd, 2001, 11:42 pm #5

I just talked to a Richard Pratt, 89, of Provo, Ut. who is age 89 and who hiked to the Kings summit on July 27, 2001, with a son and 3 grandsons — meaning three generations were on the summit that day.
do you have pictures or anything to 8 landforms

roger
roger

September 13th, 2001, 10:19 pm #6

I'm making a quick check of my news sources.
http://americasroof.com/news-hiker.shtml
Has a link to an article about the Kings Peak climb of the 89-year-old man.

Unfortunately, my Internet link is not working very well.

The URL it points to is:
http://www.standard.net/standard/news/n ... news1.html

roger
roger

September 17th, 2001, 4:09 am #7

Here's some excerpts:

Richard Pratt, 89, Provo, conquered Kings Peak last month during a five-day backpacking trip that covered a total of 48 miles.
Pratt hiked to the top on July 27 after walking about three miles from base camp in the Yellowstone Creek drainage, southwest of Kings Peak.

This time it took Pratt seven hours to the summit versus only five hours from base camp in 1983.