The Great Baxter State Park Givaway ... click here ...

The Great Baxter State Park Givaway ... click here ...

Machimoodus
Machimoodus

August 16th, 2000, 4:54 pm #1

Yep ... it's almost too good to be true ...

Time and circumstances are going to prevent me from using my reservations at the Roaring Brook Campsites in BSP on Sept. 22 and 23. Rather than sit on them and let them go to waste, I'm gonna serve them up to any aspiring Highpointer who wants them.

If anybody is interested in bagging Katadin on the weekend of the 22-24 ... Drop me a line.

I was there last year at that time and it was phenominal ... Cool, crisp days ... Unlimited views (once the fog blew over) and brilliant splashes of color in the trees ... can't promise you'll see a moose ... I didn't ... I saw 3 !!!

Machimoodus
Machimoodus

August 16th, 2000, 5:02 pm #2

My reservations are good for 4 people per night. A $64 value folks ...

Brian Brownewell
Brian Brownewell

August 16th, 2000, 5:23 pm #3

Yep ... it's almost too good to be true ...

Time and circumstances are going to prevent me from using my reservations at the Roaring Brook Campsites in BSP on Sept. 22 and 23. Rather than sit on them and let them go to waste, I'm gonna serve them up to any aspiring Highpointer who wants them.

If anybody is interested in bagging Katadin on the weekend of the 22-24 ... Drop me a line.

I was there last year at that time and it was phenominal ... Cool, crisp days ... Unlimited views (once the fog blew over) and brilliant splashes of color in the trees ... can't promise you'll see a moose ... I didn't ... I saw 3 !!!
But we already have reservations at a place
in Millinocket to spend the night Sat 09/23.

So no camping this trip.

We're flying in late Friday night and thinking about staying in the car Friday night at the entrance. That way we can be one of the first in line to get in on Sat. Looking to start it pretty early.

We would hike with you, but we are like really slow... Maybe we can meet ya later for dinner...
If a group takes you up on the offer - maybe we can swing by and meet them.

Bill
Bill

August 17th, 2000, 10:26 am #4

Great time to be up there with one possible exception. Moose begin their rutting around this time and the males can be anything from moody to downright dangerous. Most in the more heavily used sections of the park are used to humans but give the males a little distance. Sandy Creek Pond is both a safe and predictable spot to see a few(but VERY early in the morning).
Not trying to be a wet blanket here. Likely you'll have no problems. One tip for good measure though, is to turn your motor off when viewing males along the roadside. They take the engine idle for a cat sound (their only natural threat). I'll spare you the story of the 3200 lb male who tipped a car over!
Enjoy, but give the antlers some space. Especially if they're acting confused.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 17th, 2000, 2:19 pm #5

: I'll spare you the story of the 3200 lb male

The largest moose, which are in Alaska, run up to about 2000 lbs. In Maine, it's probably closer to 1600 or 1800.

And the moose rut is a little later than September from what I remember. I've been in Baxter and northern NH for the past 7 Labor Days, the moose show no sign of aggressive behavior yet. But maybe those extra few weeks are what it takes, don't know. Either way, I keep anything that large at a respectful distance.

-dave-

John G
John G

August 18th, 2000, 5:01 am #6

But we already have reservations at a place
in Millinocket to spend the night Sat 09/23.

So no camping this trip.

We're flying in late Friday night and thinking about staying in the car Friday night at the entrance. That way we can be one of the first in line to get in on Sat. Looking to start it pretty early.

We would hike with you, but we are like really slow... Maybe we can meet ya later for dinner...
If a group takes you up on the offer - maybe we can swing by and meet them.
I plan to be in Maine over that same weekend. I won't need the campsites, as I'll be dayhiking.

I'll probably shoot for Katahdin on Sunday, but I may move it up to Saturday, or do it on Monday, depending on the weather. I have several other things I hope to do, but I am leaving some flexibility so that I can bag Katahdin, my main priority on the trip.

BTW, I have a business trip to the Syracuse area of New York this coming Monday, and have managed to get Tuesday off. I will take at shot at Marcy on Tuesday. I'll post any updates or comments.

Bill
Bill

August 18th, 2000, 11:12 am #7

The largest moose, which are in Alaska, run up to about 2000 lbs. In Maine, it's probably closer to 1600 or 1800.

And the moose rut is a little later than September from what I remember. I've been in Baxter and northern NH for the past 7 Labor Days, the moose show no sign of aggressive behavior yet. But maybe those extra few weeks are what it takes, don't know. Either way, I keep anything that large at a respectful distance.

-dave-
Go to the Fairbanks Museum (Fairbanks Scales, not Fairbanks Ak) and check out the 2600 and 2800 lb pair. The one that tipped the car was, at a glance, larger. He roamed the Conneticutt River farms just south of Lancaster NH in the late 80s.

As for Labor Day....I agree. I thought the dates given were later in the month. Bulls used to roam our town starting around mid to late Sept.

Bill
Bill

August 18th, 2000, 11:45 am #8

-dave-
Before the statistical wars start I'll clerify a few points here:

- larger than average moose exist. larger than average moose seldom rut with the agression of an 800 lb juvy. in this case, smaller does not equal safer. It's the young guys who haven't scored yet that pose the biggest threat.

- some locals used to say that the aftermath of Labor Day triggers the bravado of the males. i.e. lots of tourists, then a gap of a week or two brings them out, then leaf peekers such as the ones in said car. Said car was a mid-sized Chevy. Owners of said car lost their 8 yr old son in the back seat as the moose attempted to extricate one of his antlers from the side window it had shattered.

-places known for viewing moose (one along the Kankamogas comes to mind) seldom show male juvys during September as they usually take their battles elsewhere. Hence places like Sandy Pond are not anymore dangerous at that time. But like you said, give em all a bit of distance.

David Metsky
David Metsky

August 22nd, 2000, 12:02 am #9

Go to the Fairbanks Museum (Fairbanks Scales, not Fairbanks Ak) and check out the 2600 and 2800 lb pair. The one that tipped the car was, at a glance, larger. He roamed the Conneticutt River farms just south of Lancaster NH in the late 80s.

As for Labor Day....I agree. I thought the dates given were later in the month. Bulls used to roam our town starting around mid to late Sept.
I've never heard of a moose that large. The guidebooks list largest recorded moose at just around 2000 lbs. The following web sites list similar sizes:

http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages/FI ... /moose.htm

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/a ... ative.html

http://www.nps.gov/bela/html/moose.htm

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Moose_facts.htm

The first link is from the state of Alaska Fish and Game, the second from the U of Mich Wildlife project, the third from the National Park Service, the final from the state of New Hampshire wildlife service. None mention moose larger than 1800 lbs.

If record moose were around twice as large, I think they'd get mentioned. There were more links, but they all use roughly the same data. I'd have to see some documentation before I'll accept the much larger numbers.

-dave-

Steve Gruhn
Steve Gruhn

August 22nd, 2000, 1:14 am #10

I've kept out of this one until now, but I figure you may want a frame of reference. My family and I hunt moose to fill our freezers. The largest bull any member of my family ever shot was about 2,100 pounds and had 1,300 pounds of boned out, dressed out meat (some was wasted because of the location of the shot). I have seen moose in the Lower 48. They are much, much smaller than Alaskan moose, perhaps because the moose that live farther north have to deal with colder weather and deep snow for longer periods.

The rut usually occurs from late September to early October. The animals can be somewhat aggressive. However, a point to remember is that after the bulls battle, the younger, weaker (and often injured) animal ends up becoming dinner for a bear. I have seen groups of up to 30 bulls during the rut. Around the groups every few hundred yards was a bear waiting for dinner.