The annual HP thread

The annual HP thread

December 12th, 2005, 6:37 am #1

I've held off as long as i can, but it's time for the annual...

Which highpoints did you do in 2005? and What are your highpoint goals for 2006? thread.

As for me, despite being a gazillion miles away from it all, i managed on various trips back to the mainland to do SC, NC, AL, NJ, MA, VA, KY, and a repeat of VT to bring my total to 33. All of them were beautiful in their own way, but a couple of dramatic and fun county highpoints in Haleakala and Mt. Thielsen were my real highpointlights. (highlightpoints?) WY eluded me.

For 2006, it's all up in the air, but i really have high hopes to finally do the John Muir Trail, hitting some CA 14ers and ending atop Whitney. Also, i'm itching to return to my two un-summits, AZ and WY.

happy highpointing!

December 12th, 2005, 1:47 pm #2

Well, neither Nathan nor I added to our state highpoint totals in 2005. However, we did manage to scale a couple of peaks during our 64-mile trek at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. Trail Peak (10,250') has an interesting B-24 wreck (training mission in 1942, part of a wing and the fuselage left on the mountain), and Mt. Philips (11,711') is the second-highest in Philmont, after Mt. Baldy. From the top of Philips, you can see Wheeler Peak in the distance. (We did both Trail Peak and Philips with full packs, so they were a bit more strenuous than they might otherwise have been.) Nathan also finished his Eagle Scout this fall, so even if we didn't check off any more state highpoints, it was a very good year.

Plans for 2006 are still in-process. Nathan may be doing a musical theatre camp in Montana, so I might drive him out there and make a loop through UT/ID and maybe MT if I can find a guide/group. Other opportunities might include HI (an honor choir event, if Nathan decides to go, and we'll look for you out there, Mark) or OR over the Memorial Day weekend.

I definitely want to find some way to bag two more HPs in '06 so I will have my five in the western region and can claim my 40-state (and belated 30-state) pin.

December 12th, 2005, 3:27 pm #3

Which highpoints did you do in 2005? and What are your highpoint goals for 2006? thread.

As for me, despite being a gazillion miles away from it all, i managed on various trips back to the mainland to do SC, NC, AL, NJ, MA, VA, KY, and a repeat of VT to bring my total to 33. All of them were beautiful in their own way, but a couple of dramatic and fun county highpoints in Haleakala and Mt. Thielsen were my real highpointlights. (highlightpoints?) WY eluded me.

For 2006, it's all up in the air, but i really have high hopes to finally do the John Muir Trail, hitting some CA 14ers and ending atop Whitney. Also, i'm itching to return to my two un-summits, AZ and WY.

happy highpointing!
I only managed to add one this year, but I'm pleased with it. I climbed Mt. Whitney as a fundraiser for autism research, getting me to 34. We tried Boundary via the East Ridge Route as an acclimatization hike but got off-route, found ourselves in the scree bowl looking up and decided to save our energy for Whitney the next day.

In 2006 I hope to do AFAR (Ascent For Autism Research) 2, but I need to put together a team I feel comfortable with to attempt Rainier via the Emmons/Winthrop Route. E-mail me if you're interested - no fundraising efforts required on your part and despite the publicity I hope to generate, I still know that the summit is optional, getting back safely is not.

I may also try to head out to AZ for a few days and combine seeing some family out there, maybe catching an AZ Cardinals game with Humphreys Peak. Besides, bagging Rainier and Humphreys will let me get my belated 30-state pin, too! Happy highpointing to all!

December 12th, 2005, 7:39 pm #4

happy highpointing!
I was lucky enough to have great weather and climbed Hood in February. I'm at a blistering three state highpoints now, and a bunch of county highpoints.

-ben

December 12th, 2005, 8:43 pm #5

happy highpointing!
Black Mesa is the only highpoint we went to this year.

However we visited 3 new State Capitols. In May we went to Sacramento & Carson City, a trip we had planned & saved for over 2 years. Then in October on impulse we went to Juneau, Alaska. I posted a hiking trip report on the hiking we done in Juneau when we got back. We only have 2 Capitols left - Honolulu & Phoenix.

We been saying this for years but we hope that 2006 will finally be the year we re-attempt & succeed at climbing Mt Elbert.

December 12th, 2005, 9:02 pm #6

happy highpointing!
I believe I visited more highpoints this year than any before. I added 8 new states - FL, AL, MS, AR, LA, MO, IA, IL - and revisited 3 - NH during a Presi Traverse, NY and RI. This brings my total to 31.

For next year, I'm planning two trips ... KS, NE, SD and ND in May and TX, OK, CO and NM in Sepetember. Also looking forward to a February ski trip to Stowe (Mansfield) with my lovely wife for our anniversary.

And I'll only need to work another 300 hours of overtime to afford it all!

December 12th, 2005, 10:24 pm #7

happy highpointing!
I stood atop six state highpoints this year:

Gannett Peak, Wyoming;
Timms Hill, Wisconsin;
Mount Arvon, Michigan;
Eagle Mountain, Minnesota;
Hawkeye Point, Iowa; and
Charles Mound, Illinois (last one in the Lower 48!).

This brings my total number of highpoints visited to 49. Now I only have my homestate highpoint left. I tried that one in 2003, but turned around at about 18,880 feet.

I'd love to finish up in 2006, but we'll see if I can arrange the logistics.

December 12th, 2005, 11:24 pm #8

happy highpointing!
My wife and I did Elbert on July 5...love those false summits The year ain't over yet, though...maybe we will sneak over to KS and OK to make it an even 20 before the year is out

December 13th, 2005, 2:15 am #9

I believe I visited more highpoints this year than any before. I added 8 new states - FL, AL, MS, AR, LA, MO, IA, IL - and revisited 3 - NH during a Presi Traverse, NY and RI. This brings my total to 31.

For next year, I'm planning two trips ... KS, NE, SD and ND in May and TX, OK, CO and NM in Sepetember. Also looking forward to a February ski trip to Stowe (Mansfield) with my lovely wife for our anniversary.

And I'll only need to work another 300 hours of overtime to afford it all!
Got all 5 in a single monster 2817 60-hour roadtrip with 8 hours of sleep (and one encounter with the cops)

I won't post the TR.. if you want to read it, it's available on my web site here: http://turzman.com/projects/tr-greatlakes.html

(steven tursi)

December 13th, 2005, 4:22 pm #10

happy highpointing!
Mt. Rainier!  I'm stopping at 49.

Diane Winger

www.HighpointAdventures.com
NEW: www.Colorado-for-Free.com