The 2008 Annual HP in Review Thread

The 2008 Annual HP in Review Thread

December 10th, 2008, 7:09 am #1

2008 is coming to a close, so it's time to trumpet your annual highpointing accomplishments, and to look ahead to your summit plans for 2009.

Sorry i'm a little slow fulfilling my duty of starting this thread, but that's because i didn't complete a single state highpoint in 2008. I'm stuck on 38. But i did hike the Pacific Crest Trail this year, which MORE than took up all my outdoor time. Along the way i summitted Mt. San Jacinto, which wasn't easy with it being snowbound. That was the highpoint of Riverside County, CA. I also managed Buck's Peak along the way, highpoint of Multnomah County, OR. Last month i summitted Mica Mtn. in Arizona, completing the highpoints of the mountain ranges surrounding Tucson.

But no state highpoints. None specifically planned for 2009, but who knows what opportunities might arise.

I yield the floor to the active state highpointers...Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

December 10th, 2008, 1:51 pm #2

Nathan and I hiked up Humphreys Peak back in September. #40 for Nathan, #42 for me, and our fifth in the western region, so we both got our 30 and 40 pins.

Plans for 2009 are still gelling but I'd really like to do Hood and Rainier. Anything more will depend on what other vacation plans we make for the year. I restructured my web site to include a blog, so I'll probably mull over plans in posts there as well as here.

Climb safely and enjoy the view!

December 10th, 2008, 4:07 pm #3

2008 is coming to a close, so it's time to trumpet your annual highpointing accomplishments, and to look ahead to your summit plans for 2009.

Sorry i'm a little slow fulfilling my duty of starting this thread, but that's because i didn't complete a single state highpoint in 2008. I'm stuck on 38. But i did hike the Pacific Crest Trail this year, which MORE than took up all my outdoor time. Along the way i summitted Mt. San Jacinto, which wasn't easy with it being snowbound. That was the highpoint of Riverside County, CA. I also managed Buck's Peak along the way, highpoint of Multnomah County, OR. Last month i summitted Mica Mtn. in Arizona, completing the highpoints of the mountain ranges surrounding Tucson.

But no state highpoints. None specifically planned for 2009, but who knows what opportunities might arise.

I yield the floor to the active state highpointers...Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
A brief synopsis of my year cut and pasted from my Summitpost profile:

On April 18 I drove through the night from Wisconsin with my wife to Plymouth, Indiana. Survived the Ilinois earthquake. "Climbed" the Ohio highpoint on a sunny Spring day. Continued on to Cincinnati and watched the Brewers defeat the Reds 5-2. The next day we attended the 2nd Brewers/Reds game in 2 days. Brewers won 5-3. Drove to Hoosier Highpoint in the evening and then stayed in Westfield, Indiana before driving back to Wisconsin the next day. One of the more boring highpoints I have done. Farmers were not even in the fields yet. 1381 miles roundtrip.

On May 28 we flew to Portland and then drove to visit the Steve Prefontaine Memorial the next day. While we were there we met Prefontaine's sister who was bringing flowers. We learned it was the anniversary of his death. Pretty cool since my son is a distance runner in college. On June 1 my friend Ed, my son Ryan, and I climbed Mount Hood. Left Timberline parking lot at Midnight. Climbed under starry skies and on good snow for climbing. Reached the summit about 5:30 AM with son Ryan, and friends Ed, Dawn, and Doug. Beautiful views from the summit.

On July 29 I climbed Borah Peak with fellow highpointer Dawn from Maryland. Camped at trailhead and started climb at 5:30 AM. Was a strenuous climb. Chicken Out Ridge didn't seem that bad. The loose scree near the summit was more troublesome. One step forward and then slid two steps back. We had perfect weather. Met some neat people on the hike and had dinner with Dawn and Stephen in Mackay in the evening.

On July 31 I started my Granite Peak climb. Day 1:Climbed up switchbacks above Mystic Lake to base of Froze to Death Plateau. Day 2:Hiked across FTD Plateau to high camp. Wind tried to tear our tents down all night. Day 3:Weather looked nasty. High winds and rain. Waited an hour and made breakfast and then made a summit bid. Left at 7:00 AM. Weather improved as we climbed and we made the summit at about 11:30 AM. We rappeled down 3 pitches on the way down. It was a classic climb and perhaps the most difficult one ever for this Highpointer. Day 4:Hiked all the way out from high camp. A great 4 days with Tim, Jeffrey, Ben, Kathryn, and Nate. Ben bagged State highpoint #48 and Tim HP #47 on the trip! Had a celebratory beer at the Grizzly Bar in Roscoe, MT on the way back to Cody. HP #35 for me. I now have 8 Western Highpoints done.

My wife and I also made a repeat visit to Timms Hill in October after attending a wedding in the area.

2009 plans include a June highpointing marathon of Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, and Missouri in one trip with my friend Ed. We are driving from Wisconsin. I also have pending plans of either making 2nd attempts on Gannett Peak in July with Dale from Georgia or Mount Whitney in September with Mark S.

Happy Holidays and Keep Klimbin!

December 10th, 2008, 8:02 pm #4

However, we repeated Guadalupe Peak & Britton Hill.

I'll be losing my job by years end so we'll use the opportunity to spend the holidays with the folks in NY & PA. Something we haven't been able to do since moving to Texas back in 1996. We hope to repeat a couple on the way to & fro so the dogs can check some off their list.

Best wishes to all in the coming year.

December 11th, 2008, 1:26 am #5

No new highpoints, still stuck at #47. Did however, do another winter ascent of Vermont in February and went up again in October with the Covills for some county highpointing. Only made it up Mt. Washington 3 times this year. Did repeat RI, OH, IN and MO before linking up with friends and fellow highpointers Sjaak and Lidy VanSchie to repeat NV and CA. Also repeated AZ with the night hike up Humphrey's Peak during the Konvention followed by repeats of NM and OK with new highpoint member Mary Montigny. From OK I headed to TX for a repeat of Guadalupe Peak before visiting family around the Houston area and heading home. Still not a completer but have 42 repeats and a total of 226 HP summits. Might go back to Vermont and Rhode Island one more time over the holidays to finish off 2008. For next year I hope to climb Mt. Washington at least once this winter and a couple of times during the year. January I plan to visit Woodall Mtn. and of course New Jersey during the 2009 Konvention. Wish everyone the best for next year. Happy Trails and Safe Climbs. Stony

December 11th, 2008, 6:49 am #6

An interesting year to say the least. But since we're just talking highpoints, I had a great week out west this past July summitting Borah and Kings solo to bring my total to 43 state highpoints since starting the hobby in earnest in 2001. Also added Cerro de Punta, Puerto Rico back in March for a little extra credit.

Looking forward to climbing Whitney (possibly with that Holsti character) and Mauna Kea in September. Also looking forward to a new bundle of joy sometime in May. Happy Holidays to all!

December 24th, 2008, 6:16 am #7

This past year was spent in lots of traveling, but not much climbing. I got to look at Mt. Cook in New Zealand in February, but that climb looks TOUGH! Over 200 people have died up there. Did manage a 143-meter bungie jump in Queenstown, however. Cool place! Also two weeks in The Netherlands, including dinner with Litte Van Schlie, and four trips to Wisconsin, including a return trip (#4) to Timms Hill. Did my third Mt. Humphrey climb at AZ 2008. I'm still at 36 HPs.

Bigger plans for 2009, however. Looking at Mt. Rainier in July, and hope to possibly knock off UT, CO, and ID as well. Plus hoping to get NY around the convention, and MAYBE get ME as well. If successful, that would leave me with MT and AK of the remaining "big ones", possibly in 2009, and then it's all "downhill" for Texas, AR, and the southern tier. We'll see how that goes. I tolerate the cold less than ever, and my knees tolerate ME less than ever.

Happy holidays and have a great and SAFE 2009 climbing year. See ya! JES

December 26th, 2008, 6:43 am #8

18 State Highpoints (plus one Bonus HP) in 2008:
OR: I actually climbed Mount Hood twice this year, including the second time being a Father's Day summit photo for my dad, and I enjoyed the mountain so much I plan to climb it much more in the future.

ND, SD: The first two State HPs where my wife accompanied me, which made them very special to me. White Butte was a stormy, muddy mess. Harney Peak was an awesome hike and summit lookout.

WI, MN, MI, OH, IN, IL, IA: My largest weekend HP "loop" trip yet, which I now refer to as my Upper Midwest Loop Trip, having driven 2600 miles in 60 hours. Yikes!!! (More on this trip explained below.)

WV, MD, PA, CT, RI, NJ, DE, + Washington, D.C. (Bonus HP): Another weekend HP "loop" trip. Meeting Doreen was the highlight of the trip.

AZ: With money tight towards the end of the summer (limiting my available funds for flights) and a sister of mine (who lives in Arizona) having serious health issues, I decided to place family first and visited my sister in August rather than attending the Annual Konvention the following month. One of these years I will make it to one. Fortunately, I had one spare day during my visit to make an attempt of Humphreys Peak... and it was a successful summit.
------------

This year brought my State Highpoint total up to 32, plus one of the Bonus HPs. Not bad, considering I began my State Highpointing quest in only June 2007. This year also brought my most ambitious weekend HP "loop" trip thus far. My Upper Midwest Loop Trip was a total of 60 hours long, both starting and finishing at Minneapolis Airport, but if I take out approximately three hours for hiking & exploring HPs during that trip it is more accurate to say I actually drove 2600 miles in 57 hours... or approximately 45 minutes per hour (average) of driving. This also includes several "power naps" during the trip.

Fortunately for me, none of the remaining possible "loop" trips (Northeastern U.S. & Southeastern U.S.) are near as ambitious as this year's trips were. Living in the western United States it has really helped me save time & money by planning several such weekend HP "loop" trips in different regions of the country, as the highpoints on the western side of the country tend to be far away from each other and require more time to plan & prepare for attempts.