Tallest Mountain

Tallest Mountain

Craig
Craig

September 11th, 2000, 3:29 am #1

I am trying to find out which mountain in the world has the greatest vertical rise from base to summit. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Bryan
Bryan

September 11th, 2000, 5:28 am #2

In the book "6194 Denali Solo" author Ed Darack states that Mt.Mckinley deserves that distinction however I have read a convincing argument that Mt.St.Elias is the true champ as its vertical rise begins closer to sea level. Im thinking that the true begining of 'vertical rise' can be a bit subjective and lead to some debate. I also am interested in any solid info. on this subject. Thanks for the post.

Bill
Bill

September 11th, 2000, 10:32 am #3

I am trying to find out which mountain in the world has the greatest vertical rise from base to summit. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.
Moisture aside.

Stuart
Stuart

September 11th, 2000, 1:13 pm #4

Some people say that it is Kilimanjaro. The plain that it is on is between 5 and 6,000 feet and the summit is over 19,000 feet.

Machimoodus
Machimoodus

September 11th, 2000, 3:27 pm #5

Is something like 45,000 feet base to summit. I wanna see someone claim to dayhike that !

Roger A.C. Williams
Roger A.C. Williams

September 11th, 2000, 5:13 pm #6

Wrong planet. (the message did ask for "highest in the world"; of course, you could extend that ie make it "worlds" or "solar system").
Roger Williams, Boulder, Colo.

Adam Roddy
Adam Roddy

September 11th, 2000, 5:31 pm #7

Is something like 45,000 feet base to summit. I wanna see someone claim to dayhike that !
Does anyone have any climbing info on Olympus Mons?

Dan
Dan

September 11th, 2000, 6:19 pm #8

This came up before at another forum. If I remember right, those claiming to have summited it, said to expect very cold conditions, lots of red dust, and soft/rotten rock. They did say the chances of having to share the summit with anyone else were very slim. Unlike Everest, oxygen is not optional.

Dan
Dan

September 11th, 2000, 6:22 pm #9

I remember reading that the world's talles mountain was a peak in the Andes near the eqautor. Not only did it rise directly from the ocean, but the earth bulges out at the equator, technically pushing the mountain higher into the atmosphere. I'll dig around and see if I can come up with a name and article.

HJ
HJ

September 11th, 2000, 7:21 pm #10

which is the highest peak in the world if you measure from the center of Earth. In other word, this peak is farther from the center of Earth than any other point on the planet.