Swiss Winner of Yachting Race Plans to Take America's Cup Up Matterhorn

Swiss Winner of Yachting Race Plans to Take America's Cup Up Matterhorn

roger
roger

March 2nd, 2003, 1:47 pm #1

AUCKLAND, New Zealand
Now that Alinghi has become the first European entry to win the America's Cup, founder Ernesto Bertarelli has vowed he'll take the Auld Mug to the top of the Matterhorn, the most famous peak in the Swiss Alps.
That's brave talk for a fellow who doesn't know much about climbing. In fact, Bertarelli has already fobbed the job off on Alinghi's in-house expert on mountaineering, but even the expert doesn't know if it actually can be done.
"He asked me and I said yes because when Ernesto asks me to do something I usually try to say yes," said Curtis Blewett, bowman on the Cup boat and the only crewman aboard who has seen the world from the top of the 4,478-meter mountain. "But I've never even picked up the Cup, so I don't know how heavy it is. It looks pretty heavy."
Cup rules require crewmen to hold residency in the country they represent, so when Blewett took the job with Alinghi he had to move to Switzerland. That opened a lot of climbing opportunities but the one he was keenest to seize on was the Matterhorn.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... 3Mar1.html

patrick
patrick

March 3rd, 2003, 6:02 am #2

are the Swiss going to defend the Cup, Lake Geneva?

Fritz
Fritz

March 3rd, 2003, 12:48 pm #3

Bodensee (Lake Constance) has a long history of yachting, paricularly among the royalty and aristocracy of the pre-WW1 era.

-adam
-adam

March 5th, 2003, 3:32 pm #4

" Because the landlocked Swiss cannot host the next regatta themselves, they must consider ports on the Mediterranean and Atlantic coasts instead. Great Britain and France have already expressed interest in hosting next year's competition.

For now, the location of the next Cup races is undecided, but the coveted trophy is being housed at the Swiss Société Nautique de Genève yacht club on Lake Geneva. "

http://web.outsideonline.com/news/headl ... 303_1.html

-adam

William
William

March 10th, 2003, 11:43 pm #5

AUCKLAND, New Zealand
Now that Alinghi has become the first European entry to win the America's Cup, founder Ernesto Bertarelli has vowed he'll take the Auld Mug to the top of the Matterhorn, the most famous peak in the Swiss Alps.
That's brave talk for a fellow who doesn't know much about climbing. In fact, Bertarelli has already fobbed the job off on Alinghi's in-house expert on mountaineering, but even the expert doesn't know if it actually can be done.
"He asked me and I said yes because when Ernesto asks me to do something I usually try to say yes," said Curtis Blewett, bowman on the Cup boat and the only crewman aboard who has seen the world from the top of the 4,478-meter mountain. "But I've never even picked up the Cup, so I don't know how heavy it is. It looks pretty heavy."
Cup rules require crewmen to hold residency in the country they represent, so when Blewett took the job with Alinghi he had to move to Switzerland. That opened a lot of climbing opportunities but the one he was keenest to seize on was the Matterhorn.
grrrrrr. The cup belongs on Jerimoth!

-concerned Rhode Islander

roger
roger

June 19th, 2003, 2:03 pm #6

AUCKLAND, New Zealand
This year's Magellan Three Peaks Yacht Race which start at 1500 on Saturday promises to be one of the best yet with a total of 15 entries.
Now in its 26th year, the race for sailors and runners, starts from Barmouth and takes in the highest peaks of Wales, England and Scotland before a finish at Fort William.
Those who successfully reach the finish will have covered 389 nautical miles and each yacht will have a crew of three sailors and two runners.
This year's entries include a team from the Bowline Climbing Club from Leicester with a combined age of 315. One of the local teams, 'Spirit of Barmouth' is among the favourites. Everyone on the team, crew and runners, is a previous winner, and the skipper Geoff West holds the race record. Chic Nic, skippered by Steve Robinson is back for its third consecutive race, and after being forced to retire both previous times the crew are determined to make it third time lucky and reach the finish at Fort William this time!
The runners aboard will have to complete 72 miles and 14,000 feet of climbing to reach their three summits, and also cycle 18 miles in the Lake District.
http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200305 ... wnews.html