Study: 5.6% of Utahns Climb

Study: 5.6% of Utahns Climb

roger
roger

December 5th, 2003, 1:57 am #1

Utah boasts the second largest percentage of climbers in the country, according to an outdoor recreation participation and spending study by the Outdoor Industry Foundation in a poll conducted in 2001 and 2002. The study claims that nearly 90,000 Utahns, or 5.6 percent of the population, climb on natural rock as sport. The same number of climbers claim to use artificial walls to hone their skills without leaving the city.

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Dec/12042003 ... ursday.asp

I couldn't find out which state was #1. But here's the site:
http://www.outdoorindustry.org/

WingLady
WingLady

December 5th, 2003, 3:45 am #2

We could fork out $995 (unless someone is a member of the Outdoor Industry Association, in which case the price is only $495) to get a copy of the survey. See http://www.outdoorindustry.org/research.current.html

Or, we can all make wild guesses and have fun trying to convince each other we know the answer!

Since I like the 2nd option better, here's my guess for the #1 state (percentage of the population that are rock climbers): home, sweet home, Colorado.

I imagine there are more rock climbers in California (sheer numbers), but the question is Percentage, not total body count. Since the population of California is so large, I think Colorado's percentage is probably higher. And we already learned from the article that Utah is ranked #2...

Anybody else want to make a guess we can't substantiate?

Will M.
Will M.

December 5th, 2003, 5:16 am #3

Alaska! Percentage wise, it only takes a handful to be significant. Seems like everyone I know from Alaska is a climber!

Mike Pierce
Mike Pierce

December 10th, 2003, 8:33 pm #4

We could fork out $995 (unless someone is a member of the Outdoor Industry Association, in which case the price is only $495) to get a copy of the survey. See http://www.outdoorindustry.org/research.current.html

Or, we can all make wild guesses and have fun trying to convince each other we know the answer!

Since I like the 2nd option better, here's my guess for the #1 state (percentage of the population that are rock climbers): home, sweet home, Colorado.

I imagine there are more rock climbers in California (sheer numbers), but the question is Percentage, not total body count. Since the population of California is so large, I think Colorado's percentage is probably higher. And we already learned from the article that Utah is ranked #2...

Anybody else want to make a guess we can't substantiate?
I'd like to think it is Colorado (also my home state but now living in Idaho), but Alaska has be close!
I lived in Utah for a while and I must say that sport climbing is rampant. I think anything made of rock probably has a bolt in it. It is actually sad but true.

Lynn Arave
Lynn Arave

December 10th, 2003, 9:45 pm #5

Utah boasts the second largest percentage of climbers in the country, according to an outdoor recreation participation and spending study by the Outdoor Industry Foundation in a poll conducted in 2001 and 2002. The study claims that nearly 90,000 Utahns, or 5.6 percent of the population, climb on natural rock as sport. The same number of climbers claim to use artificial walls to hone their skills without leaving the city.

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Dec/12042003 ... ursday.asp

I couldn't find out which state was #1. But here's the site:
http://www.outdoorindustry.org/
Roger got me curious on these outdoor rankings.
They came out last May and this is what I found off this website:
www.outdoorindustry.org
(It will cost from $495 to $995 to get the full study.)

PARTICIPATION DATA
Just Released – Outdoor Recreation Participation Study in the
U.S., 5th edition
This annual study reports participation of Americans aged 16 and
older in 21 non-motorized outdoor activities, from backpacking to
climbing, camping to kayaking, snowshoeing to telemark skiing.
Both participant and enthusiast (the most frequent participant)
numbers and five-year trend data is included in this 200+ page
report. Demographic data is reported including: age, gender,
ethnicity, household income, marital status, regional breakdowns,
and presence of children under the age of 18 living at home. The
report includes cross-tab data for each activity, a youth section
(16-24 years old), a section on female participation, and a look at
adventure travel. Using this affordable study, you can identify
consumer market size, track participation trends, and adjust your
marketing and product lines accordingly. The 5th edition is based
on a 2002 random digit dial telephone survey of 4000 Americans
age 16 and older.
Price: $495 for members, $995 for non-members

RETAIL SALES DA

Lynn Arave
Lynn Arave

December 10th, 2003, 10:30 pm #6

Despite what I previously found out about a $495 or $995 cost for the study, it is available for FREE on the group's web site
Go to:

http://www.outdoorindustry.org/research.archive.html

You have to download it, though.

Wyoming is ranked first in both climbing and hiking.
Colorado is first in ice climbing

Steve Gruhn
Steve Gruhn

December 10th, 2003, 10:39 pm #7

It's interesting to note that only 48 states were included in the survey. I still think it's a safe bet that Alaska would be ranked first on a per capita basis, largely because of its small population and the proximity of most people to ideal areas for recreational activities.

I'd also be interested to know just where the 27,159 Louisianans go ice climbing.

WingLady
WingLady

December 10th, 2003, 11:23 pm #8

Steve, I'm guessing you're right that Alaska would have beat out the other states for climbing had it not been ignored for this study.

Did everyone see the #1 state (per capita) for birdwatching? Rhode Island!

I wasn't surprised to see Colorado at the top of the list for ice climbing (Charlie's favorite outdoor pastime; a.k.a. "a sport for lunatics"), but I was baffled that states like Maine, Minnesota, Montana, and New Hampshire had "numbers too small to yield reliable projections." Did they just forget to ask anybody in those states about ice climbing?

Also, I don't mean to put in a derogatory remark about the state my husband grew up in (and that we've visited many times), but I wonder what people in Kansas defined as "hiking" when 35.6% said they participated. The west is flatter than a pancake, and the winds & humidity in the whole state make the thought of taking a long walk sound miserable. All our friends & family who still live there like to fish or take walks in the malls. But hike?

I suppose they could all be driving to Colorado and hiking there...

Scott Patterson
Scott Patterson

December 11th, 2003, 12:12 am #9

Despite what I previously found out about a $495 or $995 cost for the study, it is available for FREE on the group's web site
Go to:

http://www.outdoorindustry.org/research.archive.html

You have to download it, though.

Wyoming is ranked first in both climbing and hiking.
Colorado is first in ice climbing
I lived in Wyoming and am not surprized. I think one reason the outdoors sports (hiking, climbing, rafting, etc.) are so popular is that there isn't too much more to do in moost places up there. Don't think this is a knock on Wyoming, in fact it's the opposite. I enjoyed the fact that that was about the only thing to do, at least in the location I was in.

Rich Allen
Rich Allen

December 11th, 2003, 2:27 pm #10

Steve, I'm guessing you're right that Alaska would have beat out the other states for climbing had it not been ignored for this study.

Did everyone see the #1 state (per capita) for birdwatching? Rhode Island!

I wasn't surprised to see Colorado at the top of the list for ice climbing (Charlie's favorite outdoor pastime; a.k.a. "a sport for lunatics"), but I was baffled that states like Maine, Minnesota, Montana, and New Hampshire had "numbers too small to yield reliable projections." Did they just forget to ask anybody in those states about ice climbing?

Also, I don't mean to put in a derogatory remark about the state my husband grew up in (and that we've visited many times), but I wonder what people in Kansas defined as "hiking" when 35.6% said they participated. The west is flatter than a pancake, and the winds & humidity in the whole state make the thought of taking a long walk sound miserable. All our friends & family who still live there like to fish or take walks in the malls. But hike?

I suppose they could all be driving to Colorado and hiking there...
"Did they just forget to ask anybody in those states about ice climbing?"

Maybe they were all out hiking and climbing, and were unavailable for the study