Stanley Cup Carried to Elbert's Summit

Stanley Cup Carried to Elbert's Summit

roger
roger

August 23rd, 2001, 1:31 pm #1

Many thanks to John Mitchler for this item.

Today's Rocky Mountain News has a picture of the Stanley being carried up Elbert.

Excerpt:
In the National Hockey League, nearly anything goes with the Stanley Cup on its 24-hour visits with players, coaches and officials from the winning team.
And Mark Waggoner, the Colorado Avalanche's top financial officer, proved it Wednesday when he and a few friends lugged the 34 1/4-inch-tall, 35-pound Stanley Cup to the summit of Mount Elbert, at 14,433 feet the tallest peak in Colorado and the second-highest in the lower 48 states. Mount Whitney in California is 14,494.

"To me the Stanley Cup represents the best -- the championship, the top -- and I just thought it would be a great tribute to the Stanley Cup to carry it to the top of Colorado," said Waggoner, 43.

It was on Aug. 5 that Waggoner, an avid hiker, hatched the idea while on a mountain outing. The vice president of finance for Kroenke Sports Enterprises, which owns the Avalanche and the Denver Nuggets, Waggoner had already made it to the summit of 26 of the 54 Fourteeners in the state.

So he popped the question to the NHL and the Hockey Hall of Fame, which has a staff that travels with the glistening trophy, and was a little surprised to get the go-ahead.

He had a custom cup-carrying backpack made, and then he started training for the climb in earnest.

roger
roger

August 23rd, 2001, 1:33 pm #2

Ken Akerman
Ken Akerman

August 23rd, 2001, 3:02 pm #3

This was very interesting. Fox News Channel featured this story in one of their reports this morning. Here is The Denver Post URL, but I think the RMN article is better:

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,100 ... 34,00.html

John M
John M

August 23rd, 2001, 4:43 pm #4

I wonder which member of the Avalanche team will carry it up Mt. Elbert next summer?

Ken Akerman
Ken Akerman

August 23rd, 2001, 8:25 pm #5

Karl Heller
Karl Heller

August 26th, 2001, 3:22 am #6

I wonder which member of the Avalanche team will carry it up Mt. Elbert next summer?
I believe the name of that next player will be Mike Modano. He is on the best team this year.

Heidi F.
Heidi F.

August 28th, 2001, 11:57 am #7

Many thanks to John Mitchler for this item.

Today's Rocky Mountain News has a picture of the Stanley being carried up Elbert.

Excerpt:
In the National Hockey League, nearly anything goes with the Stanley Cup on its 24-hour visits with players, coaches and officials from the winning team.
And Mark Waggoner, the Colorado Avalanche's top financial officer, proved it Wednesday when he and a few friends lugged the 34 1/4-inch-tall, 35-pound Stanley Cup to the summit of Mount Elbert, at 14,433 feet the tallest peak in Colorado and the second-highest in the lower 48 states. Mount Whitney in California is 14,494.

"To me the Stanley Cup represents the best -- the championship, the top -- and I just thought it would be a great tribute to the Stanley Cup to carry it to the top of Colorado," said Waggoner, 43.

It was on Aug. 5 that Waggoner, an avid hiker, hatched the idea while on a mountain outing. The vice president of finance for Kroenke Sports Enterprises, which owns the Avalanche and the Denver Nuggets, Waggoner had already made it to the summit of 26 of the 54 Fourteeners in the state.

So he popped the question to the NHL and the Hockey Hall of Fame, which has a staff that travels with the glistening trophy, and was a little surprised to get the go-ahead.

He had a custom cup-carrying backpack made, and then he started training for the climb in earnest.
All I could think of when I read this article was - This is SOOOO Coloradian (is that the word for native of Colorado?). And I have a strong affinity for all things Coloradian

Wonder if we can get that guy to write a trip report for the newsletter, eh? Did it mention anywhere what trail he took? I'd be really impressed if he lugged that cup up the Black Cloud Trail

Ken Akerman
Ken Akerman

August 28th, 2001, 4:27 pm #8

I believe the term for someone from Colorado is Coloradoan. Perhaps we should contact the NHL and have this become an annual event - bringing the Stanley Cup to the highest point of the winning team's home state or province. If this had been done since 1990 this would be some of the places where the Cup could have gone:

Year--------Stanley Cup Champion------High Point
1990--------Edmonton Oilers-------Mount Columbia (AB)
1991, 1992--Pittsburgh Penguins---Mount Davis (PA)
1993--------Montreal Canadiens----Mont D'Iberville (PQ)
1994--------New York Rangers------Mount Marcy (NY)
1995, 2000--New Jersey Devils-----High Point (NJ)
1996--------Colorado Avalanche----Mount Elbert (CO)
1997, 1998--Detroit Red Wings-----Mount Arvon (MI)
1999--------Dallas Stars----------Guadalupe Peak (TX)

Perhaps if Wayne Gretzky can perform the same magic in the Phoenix Coyotes front office that he did on the ice as a player, then we may see the Stanley Cup on top of Humphreys Peak within a few years.

Ken

RA Meagher
RA Meagher

August 28th, 2001, 7:09 pm #9

If the Cup goes up Humphreys Peak (or any other)
it could act as a large lighting rod!
Gretsky may want to scale Camelback Mountain instead.

Scott Surgent
Scott Surgent

August 28th, 2001, 7:17 pm #10

I believe the term for someone from Colorado is Coloradoan. Perhaps we should contact the NHL and have this become an annual event - bringing the Stanley Cup to the highest point of the winning team's home state or province. If this had been done since 1990 this would be some of the places where the Cup could have gone:

Year--------Stanley Cup Champion------High Point
1990--------Edmonton Oilers-------Mount Columbia (AB)
1991, 1992--Pittsburgh Penguins---Mount Davis (PA)
1993--------Montreal Canadiens----Mont D'Iberville (PQ)
1994--------New York Rangers------Mount Marcy (NY)
1995, 2000--New Jersey Devils-----High Point (NJ)
1996--------Colorado Avalanche----Mount Elbert (CO)
1997, 1998--Detroit Red Wings-----Mount Arvon (MI)
1999--------Dallas Stars----------Guadalupe Peak (TX)

Perhaps if Wayne Gretzky can perform the same magic in the Phoenix Coyotes front office that he did on the ice as a player, then we may see the Stanley Cup on top of Humphreys Peak within a few years.

Ken
Wherever the Cup goes, so does at least one of its full-time caretakers. I wonder how excited he was to be told he'd have to follow it up a 14er.

Safe to say we won't be seeing similar stories about someone lugging up the O'Brien Trophy, the World Series Trophy or the Lombardi Trophy up any peaks. The Cup is grand, and big! Arguably the most identifiable trophy of the big four sports.

There was a photo in Sports Illustrated a year ago after the Devils won the Cup. One of the players was shown hoisting it on top of some peak in BC (I believe). However, he was helicoptered to the top. Nice photo op, but not in the spirit of highpointing .

The Montreal Canadiens have won the Cup 23 times (or 24??). Imagine the logistics of taking it to the far north of Quebec to get it atop d'Iberville every few years. Maybe the NHL should adopt a rule that only teams from temperate climates with class-1 highpoints can win the Cup. This gives the Kings a fighting chance, and the Coyotes a whisper.

Lastly, imagine you being atop Elbert, enjoying your latest summit, and up comes some guy carrying the Cup! That would be the coolest of cool! A moment of cognitive dissonance.